Cars at DEN

Old Jun 9, 20, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by m907 View Post
Yes, they charged you more than their actual cost. But it sounds like they told you the $38 was solely for shipping. That's what irritates me. They should be honest and call it a lost and found fee.
This is a weird thing to get worked up about. They didn't charge me for *postage*, they charged me for *shipping*. Shipping can have other component costs. If you wanted me to ship my headphones to you, I would need to acquire appropriate packaging and packing materials (box, tape, bubble wrap, etc). Why would I eat that cost rather than passing it along to you, the requester?

When they emailed me to let me know that they had located the item that I had reported lost, they gave me 3 options:
  • hold for me to pick up, for up to 60 days (no charge)
  • donate to charity (no charge)
  • ship to my home (38 bucks)

Do I wish it had been less? Of course I do. Am I happy to have them back? Yes, I am. But they offered me two options that didn't cost anything. I just didn't choose one of those.
Old Jun 10, 20, 4:43 am

Originally Posted by Qwkynuf View Post
This is a weird thing to get worked up about. They didn't charge me for *postage*, they charged me for *shipping*. Shipping can have other component costs. If you wanted me to ship my headphones to you, I would need to acquire appropriate packaging and packing materials (box, tape, bubble wrap, etc). Why would I eat that cost rather than passing it along to you, the requester?

When they emailed me to let me know that they had located the item that I had reported lost, they gave me 3 options:
  • hold for me to pick up, for up to 60 days (no charge)
  • donate to charity (no charge)
  • ship to my home (38 bucks)

Do I wish it had been less? Of course I do. Am I happy to have them back? Yes, I am. But they offered me two options that didn't cost anything. I just didn't choose one of those.
I'm just saying it did not cost them $38 to get a box, tape, bubble wrap, and buy a shipping label, unless they're stupid and went to a FedEx store and bought everything at full retail price.

I'm just saying they (and all companies) should be honest.
Old Jun 10, 20, 9:48 am

I'm just saying it did not cost them $38 to get a box, tape, bubble wrap, and buy a shipping label, unless they're stupid and went to a FedEx store and bought everything at full retail price.

I'm just saying they (and all companies) should be honest.
Oh, come on.....

What business breaks out all components of their costing and provides a detailed breakdown to their customers? Do you honestly think that your rate for a rental car is is the sum of National's amortized cost for the unit, insurance, taxes, etc? That they are not paying for employees? Physical plant? Profit?

You know what? My whole point behind sharing my experience was that I appreciate that National had a lost & found system that *worked*. I appreciate that I got my stuff back. I have friends who have lost similar items on airplanes and didn't even get crickets as a response. If you should find yourself unlucky enough to lose something in a rental car someday, and not realize until you are well on your way to your next destination, I'd suggest that you just shrug your shoulders, chalk it up as a learning experience, and not succumb to the temptation to actually get your stuff back - and for considerably less than it would cost to replace. Clearly, as a matter of principle, I should have spent over $500 replacing my headphones, iPod Touch, bluetooth transmitter, and half a dozen assorted charging cables, rather than <$40 to get it all back. That would have shown them! What was I thinking????
SoroSuub1 likes this.
Old Jun 10, 20, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by Qwkynuf View Post
Oh, come on.....

What business breaks out all components of their costing and provides a detailed breakdown to their customers? Do you honestly think that your rate for a rental car is is the sum of National's amortized cost for the unit, insurance, taxes, etc? That they are not paying for employees? Physical plant? Profit?

You know what? My whole point behind sharing my experience was that I appreciate that National had a lost & found system that *worked*. I appreciate that I got my stuff back. I have friends who have lost similar items on airplanes and didn't even get crickets as a response. If you should find yourself unlucky enough to lose something in a rental car someday, and not realize until you are well on your way to your next destination, I'd suggest that you just shrug your shoulders, chalk it up as a learning experience, and not succumb to the temptation to actually get your stuff back - and for considerably less than it would cost to replace. Clearly, as a matter of principle, I should have spent over $500 replacing my headphones, iPod Touch, bluetooth transmitter, and half a dozen assorted charging cables, rather than <$40 to get it all back. That would have shown them! What was I thinking????
Be glad they found your headphones, had an employee go to Fedex to pay and mail the package, and that you will be receiving your lost item. Many others are not as lucky. $38 is a small price to pay for the honest service they have provided to you. If I had experienced this, Id be more loyal to the company for doing the right thing.
Old Jun 11, 20, 11:39 am

Any recent experience with EE selection this summer? Tahoe/Large SUV availability?
Old Jun 11, 20, 7:11 pm

I have a reservation that I created in late January for a July rental through Costco Travel.
The rate for a week for a Premium SUV is ~$600 for Avis and if I look for that same rental now its over $2,000.
I've verified the reservation through both Costco Travel and Avis' web site but am really really nervous that they will not honor that rate.
Anyone have any experience or advice?
I really don't want to show up at DEN and be stuck with paying 3X what I expected with no choice but to get a car.
Thanks!
Another point, I just signed up for the Avis Preferred program through Chase in hopes that will help if needed.... am I being too paranoid here?
Old Jun 11, 20, 11:49 pm

Programs: Marriott T, Hyatt G, UA Silver, Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by ddavidch View Post
I have a reservation that I created in late January for a July rental through Costco Travel.
The rate for a week for a Premium SUV is ~$600 for Avis and if I look for that same rental now its over $2,000.
I've verified the reservation through both Costco Travel and Avis' web site but am really really nervous that they will not honor that rate.
Anyone have any experience or advice?
I really don't want to show up at DEN and be stuck with paying 3X what I expected with no choice but to get a car.
Thanks!
Another point, I just signed up for the Avis Preferred program through Chase in hopes that will help if needed.... am I being too paranoid here?
It's normal for rates to change, up or down, over time. I've reserved cars for $12/day and had them go up to $60/day by pickup, the current rates are irrelevant. You've got a reservation, and failing that you (presumably) have a copy of the confirmation email. You shouldn't have any trouble.
Auto Enthusiast and ddavidch like this.
Old Jun 12, 20, 11:05 am

Thanks for the reply...
Understood and agreed, I'm just being overly cautious due to the circumstances right now with rentals/travel being way down and companies near bankruptcy, etc.
Just wanted to see if anyone had a recent experience.
Honestly, not sure what I can do about this once we are there in DEN on the ground and need a car the company can do whatever they want.
I've used the confirmation info from the Costco Travel info to add the reservation to the Avis app and it shows up there with the original/correct rates/dates, etc.
Hopefully all will go as planned, just overly worrying right now.
Thanks again.
Old Jun 15, 20, 8:19 am

Fleet mid June 2020

Picked up a 2 week rental from Executive Aisle On a Saturday morning. Lot was about 20% full, nothing special. About 10 sedans, few mid size SUVs, no trucks, no full size SUVs. Asked lot manager for a full size SUV, he pointed over to an Armada off to the side w/ 8k miles and took that.
SoroSuub1 likes this.
Old Jun 15, 20, 9:49 pm

Programs: National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Baflyer11 View Post
Picked up a 2 week rental from Executive Aisle On a Saturday morning. Lot was about 20% full, nothing special. About 10 sedans, few mid size SUVs, no trucks, no full size SUVs. Asked lot manager for a full size SUV, he pointed over to an Armada off to the side w/ 8k miles and took that.
Glad to hear they were using the Aisle, maybe a recent change? Previous renter said they were only doing counter. And my July reservation says Counter still.
Old Jun 17, 20, 4:13 pm

Emerald club update

Does the Emerald the club usually have more SUV's this time of year?
Old Jun 21, 20, 7:44 am

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, HHonors Diamond, National Executive
Anyone have any recent experiences at DEN? Seeing some reports that the aisle is currently closed and long lines to pick up cars via the counter.
Old Jun 27, 20, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by LucWise View Post
Anyone have any recent experiences at DEN? Seeing some reports that the aisle is currently closed and long lines to pick up cars via the counter.
Nervous too! Renting there in 2 weeks. The only thing I saw in some of the reviews was consistency on Monday's being a problem. Maybe a surge of Monday business travelers overwhelms the system?
Old Jun 28, 20, 1:43 am

Originally Posted by Case1096 View Post
Nervous too! Renting there in 2 weeks. The only thing I saw in some of the reviews was consistency on Monday's being a problem. Maybe a surge of Monday business travelers overwhelms the system?
I've been to several major airport locations lately (though not DEN) and they seem to be short on cars in a lot of places. I think they are nervous about reintroducing all the parked cars back into the fleet if things shut down again.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jun 29, 20, 9:00 pm

I've been to several major airport locations lately (though not DEN) and they seem to be short on cars in a lot of places. I think they are nervous about reintroducing all the parked cars back into the fleet if things shut down again.
At CVG last Monday they had tons of cars in the return lane and nobody available to clean them.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: