Cars at DEN

Old Feb 1, 16, 6:51 pm
  #286  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Houston, TX/Australia
Programs: AA EXP/Exec Citi, NZ* G, Nat EE, Avis PP, HH Gold
Posts: 649
Originally Posted by ijgordon View Post
Well, one was being held for me.
But given that the website wasn't taking any reservations for SUVs at the time, it was reasonable (if not correct in hindsight) to assume they were assigned for customers that had booked them.
They could have had some cancellations or backup reservations that didn't get used for SUVs. Otherwise, that's generally my thought process, too, when they are no longer taking reservations for SUVs.
corncob is offline  
Old Feb 1, 16, 9:33 pm
  #287  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 2
So are you reserving an SUV at the full rate? On the website it shows a Full size SUV rental for over 2k per week. Or are you reserving the SUV & a mid size then canceling the midsize & SUV when you get to the airport then picking up the SUV that had been on hold? I just have a hard time dropping 2k for a rental car that Ill barely use.
mmgarciaiii is offline  
Old Feb 8, 16, 3:10 pm
  #288  
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 10
Picked up on 2/2, a Tuesday night a few hours after a big winter storm ended. EA and EE were both 100% cars - not a single van or SUV of any size. I went inside to ask about changing to an SUV and was told my only option was a Sante Fe that would be nearly $1,000 for a Tuesday night through Sunday morning rental.

When I dropped off on Sunday morning EA and EE had the normal variety with a lot of AWD vehicles. This is the second time I've run into this at DEN and the lesson is if there was a winter storm close to your pickup, or one predicted soon after, the selection is going to be 100% 2 wheel drive cars.

I generally love National but the DEN location leaves a whole lot to be desired - AVIS is the way to go at DEN if you're visiting in the winter and want an SUV or AWD car.
Warchant is offline  
Old Feb 8, 16, 10:13 pm
  #289  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Houston, TX/Australia
Programs: AA EXP/Exec Citi, NZ* G, Nat EE, Avis PP, HH Gold
Posts: 649
Originally Posted by Warchant View Post
I generally love National but the DEN location leaves a whole lot to be desired - AVIS is the way to go at DEN if you're visiting in the winter and want an SUV or AWD car.
Agreed, especially if you need a guaranteed SUV. I find that Avis generally has better mid-size SUV reservation prices. Although if I can score an SUV off National's ES, that is infinitely more convenient.

Depending on price variances and time constraints, walking down to Avis after checking out the ES isn't a bad course of action in nice weather (it's only about a 1/3 of a mile).
corncob is offline  
Old Feb 17, 16, 10:06 am
  #290  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: MSN
Posts: 203
Flying to DEN tonight. Any recent experiences with the regular Emerald Aisle? I don't expect to get an SUV, but I need something big enough to three guys (ranging from 6'2" to 6'5") and skis (so something with a pass-through back seat or 60/40 back seat). A full-size sedan, perhaps, but I would prefer FWD. And I generally try to avoid Chrysler/Dodge because they always seem to have something wrong with them.
aw82 is offline  
Old Feb 17, 16, 10:52 am
  #291  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 19
Originally Posted by aw82 View Post
Flying to DEN tonight. Any recent experiences with the regular Emerald Aisle? I don't expect to get an SUV, but I need something big enough to three guys (ranging from 6'2" to 6'5") and skis (so something with a pass-through back seat or 60/40 back seat). A full-size sedan, perhaps, but I would prefer FWD. And I generally try to avoid Chrysler/Dodge because they always seem to have something wrong with them.
I was there for the President's Day weekend. When i picked up my car on Friday, the Emerald Aisle only had sedans, and a few pick up trucks. I didn't take a very good look at the specific car selection.

All of the SUVs were in the Full Size car section, without keys.
An attendant there told me they keep all of the SUV keys in the back to prevent people from taking it. He mentioned every single SUV was reserved and this is the only way they can keep Emerald Aisle people from taking the SUVs.

Lucky for me, I reserved an SUV. Drove away with a very underpowered Hyundai Sante Fe.
astrowar81 is offline  
Old Feb 17, 16, 5:25 pm
  #292  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Houston, TX/Australia
Programs: AA EXP/Exec Citi, NZ* G, Nat EE, Avis PP, HH Gold
Posts: 649
Originally Posted by aw82 View Post
Flying to DEN tonight. Any recent experiences with the regular Emerald Aisle? I don't expect to get an SUV, but I need something big enough to three guys (ranging from 6'2" to 6'5") and skis (so something with a pass-through back seat or 60/40 back seat). A full-size sedan, perhaps, but I would prefer FWD. And I generally try to avoid Chrysler/Dodge because they always seem to have something wrong with them.
You might end up with a FWD minivan...

If you're able to, might be worth making a backup SUV res with National or Avis for an hour after your original one, and then cancelling if you don't need it. You should be able to find something you can cram into, but if you're left with only options that aren't suitable at least you have a backup option even if it ends up costing you a bit more.

Or at least look into those options to see what sort of $$ you're dealing with in that regard.
corncob is offline  
Old Feb 22, 16, 9:59 am
  #293  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: MSN
Posts: 203
Originally Posted by hartlogan View Post
You might end up with a FWD minivan...

If you're able to, might be worth making a backup SUV res with National or Avis for an hour after your original one, and then cancelling if you don't need it. You should be able to find something you can cram into, but if you're left with only options that aren't suitable at least you have a backup option even if it ends up costing you a bit more.

Or at least look into those options to see what sort of $$ you're dealing with in that regard.
Thanks for the tip, although I didn't see it before i left!

When I arrived, I saw a lot of sedans, one or two Fiat SUV things, a Kia minivan, and two Ford Transit Connects. I chose one of the Transits and it was great. Nearly 26mpg, plenty of space, and really pretty nice for what is effectively a delivery van with seats. Only issue I had was driving it in town in Breck during a snow storm. It stopped and turned fine in the snow, but couldn't hold traction accelerating from a stop. I actually had to turn around and go back down a short steep hill I couldn't get up.
aw82 is offline  
Old Feb 22, 16, 3:54 pm
  #294  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Houston, TX/Australia
Programs: AA EXP/Exec Citi, NZ* G, Nat EE, Avis PP, HH Gold
Posts: 649
Originally Posted by aw82 View Post
Thanks for the tip, although I didn't see it before i left!

When I arrived, I saw a lot of sedans, one or two Fiat SUV things, a Kia minivan, and two Ford Transit Connects. I chose one of the Transits and it was great. Nearly 26mpg, plenty of space, and really pretty nice for what is effectively a delivery van with seats. Only issue I had was driving it in town in Breck during a snow storm. It stopped and turned fine in the snow, but couldn't hold traction accelerating from a stop. I actually had to turn around and go back down a short steep hill I couldn't get up.
Glad it went well! I think the Fiats would have been a bit small for 3 sets of planks and 3 tall dudes
corncob is offline  
Old Mar 5, 16, 5:56 pm
  #295  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: EUG
Programs: BonVoy Pt, IHG Au, HH Au, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred, *$ Au
Posts: 5,033
Originally Posted by astrowar81 View Post
All of the SUVs were in the Full Size car section, without keys.
An attendant there told me they keep all of the SUV keys in the back to prevent people from taking it. He mentioned every single SUV was reserved and this is the only way they can keep Emerald Aisle people from taking the SUVs.
That's interesting. I showed up a week ago, late Saturday night and they had a bunch of Compasses, some other SUV looking crossovers (not sure they were 4WD/AWD), and one Patriot in the Emerald Aisle selection. Must have been the unseasonably warm dry weather that had so many sitting around.
rustykettel is offline  
Old Mar 17, 16, 11:08 pm
  #296  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: SFO/MCI
Programs: DL GM 0.4MM, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Posts: 1,586
Heading to DEN tomorrow. Any recent updates?
kxc262 is offline  
Old Mar 18, 16, 9:04 pm
  #297  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: SFO/MCI
Programs: DL GM 0.4MM, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Posts: 1,586
3/18 around 3pm

Limited selection. Hyundai Tuscon, Jeep Compass, and Dodge Caravan. A couple of chargers.
kxc262 is offline  
Old Apr 12, 16, 8:17 am
  #298  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: EUG
Programs: BonVoy Pt, IHG Au, HH Au, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred, *$ Au
Posts: 5,033
Last night at midnight on the Emerald Aisle- bunch of minivans, couple of Jeeps & other small SUVs, several Suburbans, and a single sedan. Didn't check the Exec Aisle.
rustykettel is offline  
Old May 28, 16, 9:39 am
  #299  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Arlington, Va.
Posts: 321
Pick up around 9pm on 27-May (Memorial Day weekend). First they loaded the shared bus with Enterprise to way overcrowded ... very dangerous as the driver was driving fast and taking turns quick. So crowded folks were in front of the white line and no place to hold.

Anyways, EA has pick your midsize color including a ton of Altimas. There was also a minivan, two large pickup's and two SUVs. I took a Kia Sorento.. was surprised to find it is a 2017 model with literally 6 miles on it when I took it out. (Sorry, I'll be returning it in COS). Never been the first renter of a car.

Unique to DEN, almost all their cars are CO-plated rather than a different state than the station.

Last edited by PlateMan; May 28, 16 at 9:55 am
PlateMan is offline  
Old May 30, 16, 8:31 pm
  #300  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 5
Originally Posted by PlateMan View Post
Pick up around 9pm on 27-May (Memorial Day weekend). First they loaded the shared bus with Enterprise to way overcrowded ... very dangerous as the driver was driving fast and taking turns quick. So crowded folks were in front of the white line and no place to hold.

Anyways, EA has pick your midsize color including a ton of Altimas. There was also a minivan, two large pickup's and two SUVs. I took a Kia Sorento.. was surprised to find it is a 2017 model with literally 6 miles on it when I took it out. (Sorry, I'll be returning it in COS). Never been the first renter of a car.

Unique to DEN, almost all their cars are CO-plated rather than a different state than the station.
Did you see what was in the executive section? Anyone else been to DEN lately?
oakdruid is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: