Cars at LAX

Old Feb 11, 2018, 7:08 am
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
Originally Posted by 3travellers
Hi
I am not a member and rent with a carbrooker in europe!!

I need help to choose a car for our 4 week roadtrip from mid may to mid june 2018.
start in LAX and return in SFO.
We are going from LA- Grand Canyon- zion- yellowstone - Idaho - Oregon - SFO!
Dessert and mountains!

What I understand is that you can pick any car in the class you book or?

if we want a Fullsize (FCAR) what are the cars we will choose between?
And what model chould i go for?

SUV class? Choices and best model to pick?

Cabriolet class (SSAR) Choices and best model to pick

Would you recommend to rent a Cabriolet for our trip?

Mike
As the poster above stated you should consider what kind of experience you want to have. Budget/fuel economy/comfort/etc should all be considered.

Unless your group is filled with short people and none of you have any luggage, any car currently in the convertible class would not be a good choice for more than 2 travelers embarking on a long road trip as youve described.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 9:59 am

We are only 2 people and we are aware of the space for our luggage in a convertible
We don't mind if the fuel economy is low.
But we like to know the up and cons, with a convertible in our road trip trough dessert and Mountains?
And we don't know if we chould go for a Fullsize or a SUV instead of the convertible?

Mike
​​​​​​​
Old Feb 12, 2018, 9:26 am

Programs: National EE, Flying Blue/SPG/Sixt platinum, Hertz PC, Club Carlsson, Best Western Diamond, IHG
Originally Posted by 3travellers
Hi
I am not a member and rent with a carbrooker in europe!!

I need help to choose a car for our 4 week roadtrip from mid may to mid june 2018.
start in LAX and return in SFO.
We are going from LA- Grand Canyon- zion- yellowstone - Idaho - Oregon - SFO!
Dessert and mountains!

What I understand is that you can pick any car in the class you book or?

if we want a Fullsize (FCAR) what are the cars we will choose between?
And what model chould i go for?

SUV class? Choices and best model to pick?

Cabriolet class (SSAR) Choices and best model to pick

Would you recommend to rent a Cabriolet for our trip?

Mike
Hi,
Not sure that thorugh a car broker you can access the aisle and that it is not a given class that you reserve. Have you checked that with your car broker?
Otherwise, you need to figure out what exactly you are looking for for your trip (as said by other members: are you looking for comfort, for fuel efficiency, very nice looking car, a v8 engine, ...). then you will be able to choose what best will suits you!
Funny thing: I will drop a car in LA mid-May, coming from San Francisco and after a 20 days trip in car. Personnally, I will prefer a SUV, and better an AWD.
Best regards
Nicolas
Old Feb 25, 2018, 4:44 pm

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Platinum Elite, National Exec
LAX ES has been not-so-great lately. Landed 10PM on a weekday and least-worst option was a Nissan Rogue...I somehow convinced myself that it would be OK since it was fully loaded and still an "SUV". Oops... Came back day and a half later when I had some time to swap it out...staff always friendly and helpful, but still a hassle that would've liked to avoid.

Any other recent experiences out there? Maybe a certain time of day is better?
Old Mar 8, 2018, 12:43 am

What cars has been in the Luxury fleet lately at LAX?
Old Mar 8, 2018, 2:02 pm

When I was there in early December, I recall seeing a number of XTSes. I was lucky enough to be given an A8L
Old Mar 9, 2018, 1:10 am

Originally Posted by juhlee
When I was there in early December, I recall seeing a number of XTSes. I was lucky enough to be given an A8L
You got that on a luxury res?

Do you have some specific status or so at National, since you were so lucky haha.

I have a luxury reservation for 17 days or so, might not be that lucky i guess when the rental is for more than 2 weeks
Old Mar 9, 2018, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by Theduck1992

Do you have some specific status or so at National, since you were so lucky haha.

I have a luxury reservation for 17 days or so, might not be that lucky i guess when the rental is for more than 2 weeks

Sometimes they let you depending on location but sometimes they just don't have a car in the class you reserved. One time I reserved a luxury car in JFK who is typically stingy but only had an A8 and a Q7. Let me take either one without an upgrade or $1,000 deposit because of no luxury cars.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by Closingracer
Sometimes they let you depending on location but sometimes they just don't have a car in the class you reserved. One time I reserved a luxury car in JFK who is typically stingy but only had an A8 and a Q7. Let me take either one without an upgrade or $1,000 deposit because of no luxury cars.
Thats not a bad upgrade. Id love to be that lucky to have a car like that for almost 3 weeks haha. So expensive in Denmark, so nobody really drives it here

Thanks for sharing!
Old Mar 12, 2018, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by Theduck1992

Haha yeah -- before he gave it to me, he double-checked that I was returning to LAX and that I was only renting for the weekend. I have Executive status through my credit card.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 1:37 pm

Programs: Hertz PC,National EE,Hilton Diamond,Marriott Titanium, AS Gold 75K, DL Platinum
Picking up LCAR on a Tuesday evening. Is there a functioning luxury aisle? Im hoping I can get Audi q5 as I prefer SUVs
Old Apr 4, 2018, 4:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Collin03
Picking up LCAR on a Tuesday evening. Is there a functioning luxury aisle? Im hoping I can get Audi q5 as I prefer SUVs
There is a luxury aisle, but there is no guarantee what will be there, or its condition. If you want to reserve a specific car, Hertz is a better option, although the age, condition and mileage of the car they give you won't be anything to write home about.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 1:30 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
LAX completely sold out today - how often does that happen — my Flight to SAN was delayed (turned out to be 3 hours) and I just wanted to drive home
Old Apr 12, 2018, 1:54 pm

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Platinum Elite, National Exec
Originally Posted by 4aks
LAX completely sold out today - how often does that happen my Flight to SAN was delayed (turned out to be 3 hours) and I just wanted to drive home
Did you have a reservation that they weren't able to honor or did you just show up to try your luck? Curious if there was any resolution
Old Apr 15, 2018, 2:29 pm

best EA car for tall person?

What's the best car in the executive aisle for a tall guy, (needs legroom, headroom)?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.