Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at LAX

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2015, 8:36 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Foxtbh
It's going to become too much of a gamble to pay LCAR prices if there is a high chance you end up with something like this.
I'm definitely not happy to see them but I haven't been forced to take one as the only option... YET. The ATS was a dilution in size for sure, but is still a legit LCAR in terms of features and also pretty fun to drive (RWD, reasonably peppy even in the 2.5L model). When the A3, CLA, 1-series, etc in base trims become the norm for LCAR, then I'll take more issue. I don't know that I'll leave National over it, but I'll probably revert back to PCAR reservations as long as those remain large sedans and the dogs (Maxima, Impala 2LT) can be avoided easily enough.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 10:48 am

Programs: Amex Plat, National EE, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, Fairmont Plat, HH Gold
All these talks of lcar dilusion has made me second guess my lcar reservation.
Have anyone used silvercar at lax? Deciding if i want to gamble with a lcar at National, or take that audi a4 that silvercar has. Suppose to be the quattro 8speed auto version with full tech and nav package.
The rate is only $60 more for the entire rental period. Sucks that I don't get rental credits for it, but an A4 is certainly better than potentially end in up with an ats or a3. And the built in wifi will be nice since I'm from Canada and that will save on roaming charges.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 11:29 am
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
Originally Posted by specboi
All these talks of lcar dilusion has made me second guess my lcar reservation.
Have anyone used silvercar at lax? Deciding if i want to gamble with a lcar at National, or take that audi a4 that silvercar has. Suppose to be the quattro 8speed auto version with full tech and nav package.
The rate is only $60 more for the entire rental period. Sucks that I don't get rental credits for it, but an A4 is certainly better than potentially end in up with an ats or a3. And the built in wifi will be nice since I'm from Canada and that will save on roaming charges.
All due respect, I wouldn't base my choice of rental company on the negative comments of a couple of posters on here who have a habit of complaining about every aspect of the experience (especially when their experience is limited to a one-off situation at another location). You'll notice that most posters report they are very satisfied with their experiences and receive vehicles they are happy with (or have their rates adjusted accordingly if not).
Old Jan 13, 2015, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by dwbf11
All due respect, I wouldn't base my choice of rental company on the negative comments of a couple of posters on here who have a habit of complaining about every aspect of the experience (especially when their experience is limited to a one-off situation at another location). You'll notice that most posters report they are very satisfied with their experiences and receive vehicles they are happy with (or have their rates adjusted accordingly if not).
Fair enough, I guess a someone who predominately only travels to yyc and yvr, I'm not too sure what to expect in lax. There is usually never a true lcar at yvr or yyc, the best cars I've gotten are either Volvo s60 t5, or xc60 t6 and the occasional 300 (one time being the v8 300c) but these are all done by reserving a midsized and grabbing it off the es section. So the mildly high-end vehicle is always a nice surprise.
However when I actually reserve a luxury reservation that's where I'd be a bit disappointed if I don't get an actual luxury full size vehicle. I guess I'll keep my reservation for now, as much as silvercar seems awesome, the A4 doesn't excite me that much either (it is definitely a nice car though)
Old Jan 13, 2015, 12:15 pm
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
Well, remember you are never guaranteed a specific kind of vehicle, but usually someone with an LCAR reservation will be given just about anything on the lot short of something with a hefty upcharge, such as a Maserati or Corvette. While many of us on here book LCARs, relatively few renters "in the wild" do so, meaning that you're likely to be treated extra nicely if you've got the reservation. I'd say you are most likely to get something like a Lincoln MKZ (I have on my past 2 LCAR reservations out of LAX, the time before that being a brand new in the wrapper Infiniti QX60).

The 300 (and 300C) are PCAR/PXAR respectively, so don't settle for one of those on a luxury reservation.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 5:07 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by dwbf11
While many of us on here book LCARs, relatively few renters "in the wild" do so, meaning that you're likely to be treated extra nicely if you've got the reservation. I'd say you are most likely to get something like a Lincoln MKZ (I have on my past 2 LCAR reservations out of LAX, the time before that being a brand new in the wrapper Infiniti QX60).
I wouldn't expect much special treatment just because of an LCAR res at LAX... I'd have to assume PLENTY of people come through there with LCAR reservations. I would, however, expect a selection of cars and if all they have out is an A3, just ask nicely and they'll likely find something else within the LCAR/GXAR category for you (as they did for me).

There are other stations, though, where an LCAR res might be quite rare and you'll be greated with surprise/shock/awe by the greater... I got this at PHX recently right before they scrambled around to find an LCAR for me (no stock in the ER sections, as usual). 15 min later they brought up an A3, but by then I'd scoped out a Tahoe LT on ES and told them to keep their pretend LCAR.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 9:31 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AAdvantage, Southwest, HHonors, National
Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
LAX is one of the absolute best stations in regards to EA/ES/ER-sections... don't expect to see this kind of aisle at TUL or any of the other franchise locations Glad your first experiences were good ones, though!
I have an upcoming LAX PCAR res with Enterprise. Only reason I booked Enterprise was cheaper rate via Costco. Would it be worth it to switch the res over to National? I did hear that they both share the same pool of cars at LAX, so will it even matter?
Old Jan 20, 2015, 3:27 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
The last time I picked up an LCAR reservation at LAX, I had a choice of an XTS, 3-Series, ATS, CT200h or MKZ -- or anything else on the lot excluding specialty. They're generally pretty flexible here, and given the volume of rentals that LAX does, I wouldn't be too worried about getting stuck with an A3 or some other undesirable car as the only choice. I've never had an issue there and have probably done 15-20 rentals with them over the last two years.

I actually think LAX is the best National location overall in the portfolio. IME, they have a consistently great EA/ES selection, friendly Emerald booth staff and there's usually something interesting around if you want to do a paid upgrade. ^
Old Jan 20, 2015, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite
First time at the LAX location and boy was I impressed. ES had Tahoe, Fusion Titanium, Challenger, Rogue, RAV4, Sante Fe, and Volvo S80 among others. I took the S80 which was a very comfortable ride.

The selection at LAX is so much better than the 3 NYC area airports!
Old Jan 28, 2015, 4:18 pm

ES was full of mustangs, challengers, chargers and kia/hyundai mid size sedans. They had one Jeep GC with 16k on the ODO that I picked out and a few smallish CUV's.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 9:36 pm

any recent update on lcar/ps selection here?
got my upcoming Lcar booking at National for $200 with my corporate cdp
but also looking at a E350 at hertz for $400 for 5 days including taxes

I am willing to pay a $200 ($40/day) upgrade fee at National if I can get a Maserati or a Jaguar..but from what I read they are usually $100/day?
I'm not particularly excited about the E350 either thats why I am still willing to "gamble" with National.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 6:40 am

If you're lucky/persistent, you'll end up with a XTS, MKZ, or Q50... if you're unlucky you'll end up with an A3... if you're of average luck, you'll get an ATS. You won't get a Maserati or Jag for less than $100/day upgrade fee.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 11:44 am

Any reports of what's been in EA recently?
Old Jan 31, 2015, 12:30 am

Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
If you're lucky/persistent, you'll end up with a XTS, MKZ, or Q50... if you're unlucky you'll end up with an A3... if you're of average luck, you'll get an ATS. You won't get a Maserati or Jag for less than $100/day upgrade fee.
so upgrade cost will be the same weather i book an economy or a lcar? that seems kind unfair
Old Jan 31, 2015, 9:19 am

You might be able to negotiate a slightly lower upgrade if on a higher reserved class but, by the book, its the same price regardless of class.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.