Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at LAX

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2010, 8:46 am

Mid Size at LAX-What to expect?

I am flying to LAX on Wednesday 28th July 2010 from UK.What sort of cars should I expect to see in Mid Size section at LAX?

Thought I would do some research before coming,and then look out for something? I have no experience of US Cars only European models.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 9:19 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Picked up Fri 7/2 at 5:30PM - ES was a sea of Impalas / a couple of Dodge Chargers and Grand Marquis and one lone Dodge Challenger that was missing a key (I was going to take this one). EA was actually more interesting Impalas / Sebrings / Avengers / Sonatas / Camrys / Jettas (which I took one).
Old Jul 15, 2010, 9:20 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; Droid Build/ESE81) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

Played the EA/ES lottery game at LAX today hoping to score a minivan or SUV for family vacation but lost. EA was pretty much all chrysler/dodge with a few HHR's sprinkled in for good measure. A lone Jetta and Kia Soul were quickly snatched up. ES had several malibus, impalas, and priuses. There were also a couple of Camrys, 300s, and Buick Lucernes. When I spoke to an agent, he said everything except sedans were rented. He offered a Grand Marquis from the premium aisle (the only vehicle type present in the aisle). He also suggested the lone crew cab pickup in ES, pointing out that some people could ride in the bed! I didn't think the wife would approve of that plan so took a Buick and sucked it up.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 5:32 pm

I'm landing in LAX on Thursday around 10:30 AM, Any ideas what to expect in the Executive Aisle?
Old Sep 7, 2010, 8:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Platinum
9/7 at 12 PM - Never saw so many Suburbans in the ES. There were some Chrysler 300's, couple Grand Marquis, some Toyota Siennas, and the rest were Impalas.

EA - Hyundai Sonatas, one Ford Fusion, VW Jetta, Chevy Malibu, some others I can't remember and the Kia Borrego which I took. Surprised it was in the EA and not ES since it had leather and working satellite radio.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 9:03 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

9/16 - Thurs - 2 PM.

Lot was very sparse - ES was Impalas, Camry, Charger - EA was older Sonata, Beetle, Jetta - at least from what I remember. I had a Premium resrvation and took a 300 Touring - other choice (only 2 in the Premium area) was the dreaded Grand Marquis. I was tempted to ask about taking one from Luxury (slightly better with CTS, Lucerne, Town Car, and more 300 Tourings) but didn't bother since it was a 1-day rental and I wanted to get out of there after a long flight from SIN. Interestingly - "my" 300 had 26k+ miles on it - but Sat Radio was still active - not sure if it was just a very high mileage young car or what.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 2:20 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
EA had lots of Impalas, Camrys, Chargers and a few 300 Tourings, was able to find a leather seat, 300 Touring with a moonroof (only one in EA with moonroof), so chose that one.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 2:20 pm

Programs: * A
EA had beatles, impalas, new sonatas. ES had chargers, impalas, camrys and accords. premium had only 300s asked for a C70 from luxury, upcharge of 50 bucks/day. go figure... i love free days
Old Sep 27, 2010, 9:06 pm

Programs: DL - Plat, Marriott - Plat, Hilton - Diamond, SPG- Plat, National- ES
What a disaster!

Today at 11:30.

1. Man shoves others on the bus to make SURE he is first off and then RUNS to the escalator. He apparently had not counted on the bus in front of us in his "run" to get a good car. (Trust me that's what he was doing)

2. Cars... well. Executive had a couple of Camrys, the Charger thing (I am not driving it, looks too redneck to me) some mini vans, the ever present Grand Marquis and some small SUVs. I did get a Camry with under 2000miles, but there were more "renters" on the aisles then cars.

3. Check out.... 20 MINUTES!!!!!!!! What were they doing up there!
Old Sep 27, 2010, 9:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by CarolDisney1

1. Man shoves others on the bus to make SURE he is first off and then RUNS to the escalator. He apparently had not counted on the bus in front of us in his "run" to get a good car. (Trust me that's what he was doing)...
What is it with LAX?? Years ago before the location moved I saw a bunch of men almost stomp a women in their push to get off the bus and grab the sole Cadillac from the Aisle - then one tried to take the car I had - while I was sitting in it, trying to drive away!

Too bad I wasn't on that bus - I can sprint too, and I would have done so just to push past him and get to the top first in order to make a point.

I love the Aisle concept, but it really brings out the worst in people. You never see this sort of behavior where they pre-assign upgraded cars, like Hertz or Avis.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 5:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K/3.7MM, Hawn Platinum, Hilton Diamond, PC Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Natl Exe Elite

1. Man shoves others on the bus to make SURE he is first off and then RUNS to the escalator. He apparently had not counted on the bus in front of us in his "run" to get a good car. (Trust me that's what he was doing)

2. Cars... well. Executive had a couple of Camrys, the Charger thing (I am not driving it, looks too redneck to me) some mini vans, the ever present Grand Marquis and some small SUVs. I did get a Camry with under 2000miles, but there were more "renters" on the aisles then cars.

3. Check out.... 20 MINUTES!!!!!!!! What were they doing up there!
20 minutes to check out...yikes! I'm not very particular on the car I get but time is precious to all of us business travelers so waiting 20 minutes to check out would aggrevate me
Old Sep 29, 2010, 3:24 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen
What is it with LAX?? Years ago before the location moved I saw a bunch of men almost stomp a women in their push to get off the bus and grab the sole Cadillac from the Aisle - then one tried to take the car I had - while I was sitting in it, trying to drive away!

Too bad I wasn't on that bus - I can sprint too, and I would have done so just to push past him and get to the top first in order to make a point.

I love the Aisle concept, but it really brings out the worst in people. You never see this sort of behavior where they pre-assign upgraded cars, like Hertz or Avis.
Wait, how does someone try to take the car while you're sitting in it? Emerald Aisle car jacking?
Old Sep 29, 2010, 8:27 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by drzoidberg
Wait, how does someone try to take the car while you're sitting in it? Emerald Aisle car jacking?
As I was trying to drive off, he ran to my car and tapped on the window - when I rolled the window down about 1/2" to see what the lunatic wanted, he said "are you taking this car? I want this car! It's the nicest car left! Are you sure you're taking it"?

He was one of the nuts who basically mowed the lady down during the race to the Cadillac. I was tempted to run him over, but thought the better of it and just drove away.

Back then (this was circa 2000), my favorite National car was the Buick Regal. It road like a dream (compared to most of the crap they had back then).

While everyone was attacking the Cadillac, I wandered over to the group of car jockeys who were watching the melee and asked nicely if anyone had seen a Regal around - one of the jockeys said "sure, wait here", and he brought one out for me. I gave him a tip, and was headed out when the guy ran over to my car.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 10:02 am

Programs: DL - Plat, Marriott - Plat, Hilton - Diamond, SPG- Plat, National- ES
Originally Posted by bocastephen
As I was trying to drive off, he ran to my car and tapped on the window - when I rolled the window down about 1/2" to see what the lunatic wanted, he said "are you taking this car? I want this car! It's the nicest car left! Are you sure you're taking it"?

He was one of the nuts who basically mowed the lady down during the race to the Cadillac. I was tempted to run him over, but thought the better of it and just drove away.

Back then (this was circa 2000), my favorite National car was the Buick Regal. It road like a dream (compared to most of the crap they had back then).

While everyone was attacking the Cadillac, I wandered over to the group of car jockeys who were watching the melee and asked nicely if anyone had seen a Regal around - one of the jockeys said "sure, wait here", and he brought one out for me. I gave him a tip, and was headed out when the guy ran over to my car.

I had a guy in LAX once try to take the car while I was putting my luggage in the back (and it was just something like a Camry LOL!) He got a little put out when he realized I already had the car
Old Sep 30, 2010, 10:18 am

I had a guy in LAX once try to take the car while I was putting my luggage in the back (and it was just something like a Camry LOL!) He got a little put out when he realized I already had the car
Experience has made me wiser - I also grab the key first, and if the aisle is crowded with people rushing around to grab cars, I'll close and lock the doors while I'm fiddling around with my bags in the trunk. Less of a chance I'll close the trunk and find a squatter sitting in my car.

If I need to talk to the CS booth about something, I will lock the car and take the key with me as well.

I've never witnessed one, but I'm sure the Emerald Aisle history books include incidents of fistfights over car selection.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.