FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   National | Emerald Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/national-emerald-club-424/)
-   -   Cars at MCI (Kansas City, MO) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/national-emerald-club/824776-cars-mci-kansas-city-mo.html)

mk1 May 17, 2008 8:58 am

Cars at MCI (Kansas City, MO)

Anyone have recent experience with the emerald aisle/exec selection in Kansas City? I'll be renting there next Saturday around noon and was wondering what to expect.

SpeedyDelivery May 18, 2008 1:07 am

For the standard aisle I haven't seen anything there other than Malibu/G6/Impala recently.

mk1 May 19, 2008 9:24 am

Thanks for the info. I'll report on what I see when I get back.

SpeedyDelivery May 24, 2008 8:45 pm

Today @ MCI: I only looked at the Exec aisle and found a Camry, a bunch of Impalas and Chargers, a couple of S40s and a lone S60 2.5T which I took.

mk1 May 25, 2008 9:19 pm

Lucky you, I found the Exec Selection yesterday to be full of SUV's, along with an impala or two, and maybe a Buick as well.

I chose a nice 4x4 Jeep Grand Cherokee with leather and sirrius.

And for those who care, I asked upon returning the jeep whether they had hybrids, and was told they are a very rare occurrence.

dvs7310 May 26, 2008 2:18 pm

If you know that the location normally has a certain type of car that you want such as Volvos or Prius', I'm not shy about asking if there is one on the storage lot if the Exexutive Selection and EA are full of domestic cars.

Also if you see anything in a different part of the national or alamo lots, they will usually give you that too if you ask. National seems to have a real "please the customer" attitude. I've become nearly 100% loyal to them due to this attitude and the fact that they have some pretty decent imports. I hate domestic cars.

pdxjayhawk Jun 28, 2008 12:48 am

6/14 Exec had a ton of SUV's and mini-vans.

This was good for me as I was traveling with all 3 girls in tow (wife and 2 daughters).

Wound up with a very nice Highlander for the week.

CarolDisney1 Apr 6, 2009 1:27 pm

Kind of a dead thread... but

Picked up today from Executive at 11:00 AM

A couple of Kia Amanti's. Your basic Impala and Malibu collection. Some Mitsibushi (Don't recall the name) One Camry, one large SUV, a few other things I don't recall. Nothing outstanding, but better then some locations I have been at.

I took one of the Kia's which I actually like. It has 377 miles on it. Now why doesn't Kia put an MP player input as standard?

FlyinHawaiian Apr 6, 2009 1:54 pm

We just missed you in MCI; if you have a Gold Amanti that smells like BBQ sauce, it's probably the one ElmhustNick was driving this weekend.

CarolDisney1 Apr 6, 2009 5:56 pm

I knew there was a reason I took the white one!

ElmhurstNick Apr 7, 2009 11:25 am

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian (Post 11537221)
We just missed you in MCI; if you have a Gold Amanti that smells like BBQ sauce, it's probably the one ElmhustNick was driving this weekend.

Hey!!! :cool:

I paid the extra $1/day for a guaranteed Premium rental over a full-size using the last-minute rate. When I got there, the ES was a mix of mostly Amantis, Altimas, and Impalas, with no SUVs. There were three sad "Taurus Limited" (e.g. Ford 500s) in the dedicated National Premium slots. So I took an Amanti off the aisle (it is a Premium according to the "drove" part of my receipt) and left.

The Amanti is ok, but just ok. The leather was nice, but there wasn't very much headroom for a premium car. The stereo system was definitely lacking - no mp3/ipod jack and no satellite radio. I would not pay the true premium rate for one the way I would for a Volvo S70.

Speaking of Volvo: when I returned, there was a Volvo C70 in the Premium section of the Alamo cars (the Alamo reserve section is to the left of the EA/ES, the National reserve section is to the right). Considering its a comingled lot, if it had been there when I showed up, I would have probably tried to grab it for my National rental.

pdxjayhawk May 28, 2009 7:20 pm

We were there in mid May. Exec aisle had a nice variety. Looked to be a lot of the upper end domestic sedans and a number of SUVs.

The family and I, due to prodigious luggage volume, went with the GMC SUV for our 5 day rental.

It's a nice rig.

Cloudship May 31, 2009 9:20 am

I picked up a car from the Emerald Aisle last night in MCI. Keep in mind this is a Saturday evening at 7:30, so most of the stuff was done. But the lot was packed. They had cars stacked everywhere. The only free spaces I saw two where people had just pulled out from.

Huge selection, BUT... the EA was really all small cars! Lots and lots of Toyota Corollas and Matrix, Nissan Sentras, a number of Hyundais and Kias. There was a lone charger and Galant, a couple of G6, and a Malibu which I grabbed.

There was also something very interesting, which I almost grabbed but couldn't spend the whole week with - three VW New Beetles!

pdxjayhawk Aug 4, 2009 10:10 am

Just back from an MCI rental over the weekend. Exec aisle jammed with Altimas and Camrys. Little else.

I found a Malibu, which for some reason I like, and took that.

First time in a long time that there were no SUVs in the row.

ElmhurstNick Feb 8, 2010 9:58 pm

Maybe one of the better ES selections for variety I've seen in a while, 10am Monday. A few Chyrsler 300 Tourings, a Caddy DTS, some sort of SUV far down the aisle, at least one Kia Amanti, some random Japanese cars (I think they were Camrys), your standard Impalas and Chargers, and a big black Ford Flex perfect for 375 miles of highway driving in the sleet. Yes, it only gets about 13 mpg, and it looks like a hearse, but it was an incredibly comfortable ride. I have it for another day tomorrow, but only about 100 miles of driving.