Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Emerald Club and add'l driver

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2008, 6:25 am
Original Poster

Emerald Club and add'l driver

I will rent a car for 41 days next month at CLT and if I am not a emerald club member, additional driver is $10/day (for my wife). I am not a US resident anymore so I cannot enroll with the emerald club online.

Is there any other way to avoid the add'l driver charge which is a whopping $410 for the rental period?
Old May 16, 2008, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I can't speak to the specific conditions of your reservation, but spouses (and the driver's dependents at the same address) are typically exempt from the additional driver fee.
Old May 16, 2008, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

I have called

I have called the reservations number and the location, they both have said if I am not a member then I should pay!
Old May 17, 2008, 10:55 pm

Try this...

contract code 3715444... it's for readers/subscribers to car&driver magazine (aka anyone.) Gives a pretty decent rate along w/ a free additional driver =)
Old May 19, 2008, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.5MM National EE
Thanks I just spent $60 on additoonal driver fees
Old May 22, 2008, 5:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mer0909
contract code 3715444... it's for readers/subscribers to car&driver magazine (aka anyone.) Gives a pretty decent rate along w/ a free additional driver =)
I tried the car&driver code and the total came at $4500 instead of $1100 (*67 code)!

I guess I'll stick with the *67 code.
Old May 22, 2008, 8:38 am

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
Perhaps I am missing something: why not just join the Emerald Club and save $410?

Edited to add: did you try breaking the trip into chunks, if you have the ability to return the car a few times during the 41 days?
I was able to drop my 14 days over the holidays from about $1000 to 499 by having 3 reservarions, one for 5 days, one for 2 days, and one for 7 days. You need to play with the permutations. Note that I used my emerald club status for the 5 and 7 day rentals and the 3715444 for the 2 day rental (which saved me $50 over the 2 days

Last edited by Vulcan; May 22, 2008 at 8:43 am
Old May 22, 2008, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Vulcan
Perhaps I am missing something: why not just join the Emerald Club and save $410?

Edited to add: did you try breaking the trip into chunks, if you have the ability to return the car a few times during the 41 days?
I was able to drop my 14 days over the holidays from about $1000 to 499 by having 3 reservarions, one for 5 days, one for 2 days, and one for 7 days. You need to play with the permutations. Note that I used my emerald club status for the 5 and 7 day rentals and the 3715444 for the 2 day rental (which saved me $50 over the 2 days
As I have written in my first post that I am not a US resident anymore so I cannot be a member. I have called them and was told that it is "domestic." It is kind of silly because it is giant corp. and I can be Hertz Gold and avis wizard member.
Old May 22, 2008, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by akol
I tried the car&driver code and the total came at $4500 instead of $1100 (*67 code)!

I guess I'll stick with the *67 code.
I made a reservation with magic *67 code as well... I thought about it a lot, and finally decided to cancel. I can't take the risk of an accident and then possibly having "fraud" on my insurance because this code includes insurance. It's till unclear where this code comes from, so in the meantime I'm happy with my free exec status and the car&driver code. I figured I'll pay a few bucks more now, and feel better the entire trip. Good luck =)
Old May 23, 2008, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mer0909
I made a reservation with magic *67 code as well... I thought about it a lot, and finally decided to cancel. I can't take the risk of an accident and then possibly having "fraud" on my insurance because this code includes insurance. It's till unclear where this code comes from, so in the meantime I'm happy with my free exec status and the car&driver code. I figured I'll pay a few bucks more now, and feel better the entire trip. Good luck =)
In my opinion the written contract supersedes any other agreement. National cannot sell you insurance and then not pay. Plus, it is (I believe) a complimentary code just like car&driver. National does not check it and honor it.

Good luck to you too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.