Community
Wiki Posts
Search

XM radio in car....

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2008, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

XM radio in car....

Is there a tip to knowing which cards have XM in them? I know I can look inside, but is there a sticker or different antenna or something to quickly identify the vehicle?

My curiousity has the best of me....

Duds
Old May 14, 2008, 1:09 pm

Here's a thread that talks about Satellite radio. I usually look for the antennae.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ighlight=radio

and here is another:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ighlight=radio

Last edited by jenn_1K; May 14, 2008 at 1:11 pm Reason: Added second link.
Old May 14, 2008, 2:27 pm

Programs: NW Platinum Elite, *Wood Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
Check out the two links above for the best in depth review.

But to summarize, I usually just look for GM branded cars or Hyundai's that are late model with an XM style antenna.

If the lot is slow, just take your time and seek one out. Getting inside, turning the car to aux power or on and checking is the fool proof way. Nothing says that you can't switch cars
Old May 14, 2008, 10:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kcnwa
Check out the two links above for the best in depth review.

But to summarize, I usually just look for GM branded cars or Hyundai's that are late model with an XM style antenna.

If the lot is slow, just take your time and seek one out. Getting inside, turning the car to aux power or on and checking is the fool proof way. Nothing says that you can't switch cars
Is this what I am looking for?

Old May 16, 2008, 11:53 am

Yes, that is what the antenna looks like. It can also have a fin on top.
Old May 16, 2008, 12:02 pm

Programs: NW Platinum Elite, *Wood Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by dudspizza
Is this what I am looking for?

That is an aftermarket XM unit.

This is an older model antenna, but was pretty popular:
http://imgs.getauto.com/imgs/ag/ga/7...51167296-1.jpg

Here is a new torrent with the XM antenna:
http://www.pontiac.com/images/galler..._front_med.jpg

This is also another popular Pontiac/GM looking antenna:
http://www.tuningnews.net/news/07010...naias-2007.jpg

Here is one on a Sonata:
http://www.auto123.com/ArtImages/961...mited-0008.jpg
Old Aug 5, 2008, 7:04 pm

Programs: DL GE
Maybe unrelated to the OT, but close.

I recently rented a s60 from MCO and while it had Sirius Radio, it wasn't activated.

First I called Sirius, they said the Radio ID wasn't in their system. Then I called National. The CSR told me Corporate has to activate them once the trial runs out. When I finally got through to Exec Customer Support (I think that's where I ended up) I was told that National does not renew Satellite Radio subscription, once the trial runs out, it's done.

So now not only do we have to find the antenna, we have to turn it on to make sure it's activated, and that is hoping that the very next day, it doesn't get turned off.

Kind of annoying...
Old Aug 5, 2008, 8:57 pm

Programs: National Elite. that is all...
I think the 300's and chargers usually come equipped with it (the newer ones)
Old Aug 6, 2008, 9:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.4 MM Hertz Gold, National Executive Elite, Starwood Gold, Hyat Gold
I had the same problem. I considered having my own subscription and "changing" cars when I rent a car that didn't have it activated.

I wonder if there is a limit to how many times you could charge radios a year.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 12:20 am

Originally Posted by Sholey
I had the same problem. I considered having my own subscription and "changing" cars when I rent a car that didn't have it activated.

I wonder if there is a limit to how many times you could charge radios a year.
You can "add" another radio for only $7.00 per month. Once you return home you can cancel it online.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by pragakhan
First I called Sirius, they said the Radio ID wasn't in their system. Then I called National. The CSR told me Corporate has to activate them once the trial runs out. When I finally got through to Exec Customer Support (I think that's where I ended up) I was told that National does not renew Satellite Radio subscription, once the trial runs out, it's done.
I don't even begin to care enough about satellite radio to go through all of this. I can be quite happy with my iPod. A clean car is a much higher priority for me.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
I don't even begin to care enough about satellite radio to go through all of this. I can be quite happy with my iPod. A clean car is a much higher priority for me.
And here you are wasting your time posting in a thread about satellite radio in rentals.
Old Aug 8, 2008, 7:59 pm

Programs: DL GE
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
You don't so no one else should? I really don't understand what you are trying to say.

What if you got in, noticed it had an AUX port, but later discovered it was broken. Would you just be happy it was clean?

I average 500 miles a week in my rental, and that is just an average, I have put 800 miles in 3 days, and 1200 in two just recently.

Looking for something specific, only to find out it isn't there, is kind of frustrating, that is all.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
I've only had XM in Grand Prix's from the Emerald Exec Aisle. About 50% of the time. Nothing else. I usually bring my own CD's though or MP3 player.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 10:11 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, National Exec Elite
2008 Sebring Convertibles have it

Every Sebring convertible I've rented from National had satellite radio, not sure if it's XM or something else (is there anything else now?). I have 2 words for you: Hair Nation!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.