Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at LAS

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2017, 4:36 pm

Just came back from LAS. Here's a brief review.

Arrived at 830am on a Tuesday. The EC section was ABSOLUTELY SPARSE. One guy claimed a black Challenger with the V8 (HEMI on the side) but other than that most of the EC rows were empty except for a couple of Altimas and Kia Sorentos and a couple of Souls. And another smaller pickup truck that I didn't recognized (looked like a Nissan of some kind.)

Quite disappointed to say the least.

So walked over to a lady and gently remarked that the EC section looked quite sparse. She said at this time cars are being brought in from wash/cleaning and if we wait something might show up.

And just then we see a black Camaro SS coupe being backed up into the front row "upgrade" section. She led us over there and tossed us the keys and said this is free upgrade for us! I gladly took the V8 as it is one of the more powerful cars I've driven.

The car itself has some minor issues but overall a very fun car (driver's side lower bumper trim is a bit loose, some scuff marks in various spots, and a weird gummy like substance stuck to the lower driver's side fender....). Be very careful of that right foot and always keep the traction control on....heh

Returned on a Friday at 2pm and saw couple of other Camaro SS convertible being returned as well as a red 300C.

Also saw what appeared to be a QX80 as well in the return line on a early Friday afternoon

I didn't go look at the EA section as they looked to be filled with the usual suspects.

But was just very surprised that the EC section was so sparse. They had what looked like a black Expedition as well but that was too big of a car for our purposes.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 6:20 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Vegas had a big convention this week. Was going to rent, but decided to Uber. Hotels were pricy.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by kxc262
Vegas had a big convention this week. Was going to rent, but decided to Uber. Hotels were pricy.
Huh that's why. I was at the Cosmo and saw some Tony Robbins people but not sure what other conventions were there. But you're right. This week rates were higher than last week and rental cars were not cheap either...at least about $50/day.

At least it's not going to be crazy like next weekend...with the big Mayweather fight. Hotel rates even more so and some of the brand name hotels are showing "No Check-in" on Aug 26....
Old Aug 20, 2017, 11:22 pm

Programs: Virgin frequent flyer
Originally Posted by ginmqi
Huh that's why. I was at the Cosmo and saw some Tony Robbins people but not sure what other conventions were there. But you're right. This week rates were higher than last week and rental cars were not cheap either...at least about $50/day.

At least it's not going to be crazy like next weekend...with the big Mayweather fight. Hotel rates even more so and some of the brand name hotels are showing "No Check-in" on Aug 26....
Just came back from LAS. Here's a brief review.

Arrived at 830am on a Tuesday. The EC section was ABSOLUTELY SPARSE. One guy claimed a black Challenger with the V8 (HEMI on the side) but other than that most of the EC rows were empty except for a couple of Altimas and Kia Sorentos and a couple of Souls. And another smaller pickup truck that I didn't recognized (looked like a Nissan of some kind.)

Quite disappointed to say the least.

So walked over to a lady and gently remarked that the EC section looked quite sparse. She said at this time cars are being brought in from wash/cleaning and if we wait something might show up.

And just then we see a black Camaro SS coupe being backed up into the front row "upgrade" section. She led us over there and tossed us the keys and said this is free upgrade for us! I gladly took the V8 as it is one of the more powerful cars I've driven.

The car itself has some minor issues but overall a very fun car (driver's side lower bumper trim is a bit loose, some scuff marks in various spots, and a weird gummy like substance stuck to the lower driver's side fender....). Be very careful of that right foot and always keep the traction control on....heh

Returned on a Friday at 2pm and saw couple of other Camaro SS convertible being returned as well as a red 300C.

Also saw what appeared to be a QX80 as well in the return line on a early Friday afternoon

I didn't go look at the EA section as they looked to be filled with the usual suspects.

But was just very surprised that the EC section was so sparse. They had what looked like a black Expedition as well but that was too big of a car for our purposes.
I'm from th UK and will be in Vegas for a two week vacation in September, I have a luxury reservation and just hope there is some American cars with huge engines, the greeters at National seem to think us brits want a European car like a BMW, Audi or Volvo??? Why would we want those sheds when they are on every company car list in England.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 12:53 am

Originally Posted by Kirk Walker
I'm from th UK and will be in Vegas for a two week vacation in September, I have a luxury reservation and just hope there is some American cars with huge engines, the greeters at National seem to think us brits want a European car like a BMW, Audi or Volvo??? Why would we want those sheds when they are on every company car list in England.
I know National has a handful of Camaro SS with the big V8 American engine!!! Enjoy!
Old Aug 21, 2017, 5:36 am

Programs: Virgin frequent flyer
That would do the job nicely Last year at LAS I grabbed a 2017 MKZ with 5 miles on the clock but the 2.0 turbo just wasn't right, I. Drive a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel at home and the engine on that sounds better than a 2.0 hair dryer motor.
One of the best things about rental cars is trying something new and different.

Last edited by Kirk Walker; Aug 21, 2017 at 12:08 pm
Old Sep 13, 2017, 1:14 pm

Programs: DL Kettle| HH Pot
I know National has a handful of Camaro SS with the big V8 American engine!!! Enjoy!
I grabbed a new 2018 (3 miles on the odo) Camaro this trip. Don't make the same mistake I made. Its the base model with a 4 cyl. Sorely under powered.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by EmptyKim
I grabbed a new 2018 (3 miles on the odo) Camaro this trip. Don't make the same mistake I made. Its the base model with a 4 cyl. Sorely under powered.
Wow at least it was brand new but yeah the base model is bleh.

My SS wasn't that great as the exterior has seen better days. One of the under trim pieces in the front was also dangling loose the whole time so yeah....but when I was returning I saw several other V8 Camaros in the return section...
Old Sep 26, 2017, 10:27 pm

Programs: DL Kettle| HH Pot
Crazy how empty this lot is. Monday morning pick up, couple hyundais and a minivan. I almost grabbed a hyundai but someone drove up with a brand new Infiniti Q50 3.0t (4 miles on the odo). I must be getting lucky.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 9:21 pm

I just got back from our Vegas trip, pick up was the 10th September, I had a lux reservation, when I got there I was pointed towards a lone XTS but found it had the engine management light on, attendant was very rude and said to take a challenger and come back the next day if I wasn't happy ?. So went back early hours of the 11th only to be told there were no luxurys. But I noticed three Camaro SS, all with 3 miles on the clock, one red, one silver and one black, of course I took the red one as red cars are quicker!! Great car but very disappointed with the service there. All the rows were empty apart from the odd rice burner.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 3:50 pm

Programs: National EE, Delta Platinum
Will be there during Thanksgiving, premium book with EE status. What would I expect for my family (9 months baby)

thanks,
MidS
Old Oct 24, 2017, 6:13 pm

Programs: United 1K, Frontier Platinum (lol), fmr Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Smile

Originally Posted by mids
Will be there during Thanksgiving, premium book with EE status. What would I expect for my family (9 months baby)

thanks,
MidS
Don't expect much if you need a big car and be prepared to wait. I was last there around the 4th of July and the best things there were a tiny BMW convertible and a rough Infiniti Q50 from Florida. If it's just the three of you, you should be fine.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 7:52 pm

Programs: National EE, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by durche63
Don't expect much if you need a big car and be prepared to wait. I was last there around the 4th of July and the best things there were a tiny BMW convertible and a rough Infiniti Q50 from Florida. If it's just the three of you, you should be fine.
Thanks, we are 3, so Q50 is perfect. I'd like to try 300c, if it's available. May I ask about EC in LAS.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 11:05 am

Flying into Vegas Christmas Eve. What can I expect? I'm EC Executive (status match from Hertz), and have never rented with National before. It'll just be me and my wife, and it's kind of a romantic vacation type of deal, so anything along the lines of something sexy would be amazing. If it matters (I know it does on certain vehicles with Hertz), I'm 21, but have a corporate code to waive that fee...
Old Oct 28, 2017, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by vr67
Flying into Vegas Christmas Eve. What can I expect? I'm EC Executive (status match from Hertz), and have never rented with National before. It'll just be me and my wife, and it's kind of a romantic vacation type of deal, so anything along the lines of something sexy would be amazing. If it matters (I know it does on certain vehicles with Hertz), I'm 21, but have a corporate code to waive that fee...

Unless the changed the rules recently your going to be limited to a full size car or smaller because you're under 25. If you want something that isn't a camery, sonata, fusion and etc your only choice will be a dodge charger. Wouldn't call it sexy but it's not one of the non descriptive mid size family sedans ( there actual class). You might be able to get a Mazda 3 or 6 but those are rare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.