Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at LAS

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2010, 8:38 pm

Programs: AC SE, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
Was there anything nice parked to the left as you entered through the doors? When I was there April, this is where the 'nice' stuff was parked. Going again in 2 weeks.. hope there's a better selection than what you mentioned.

Ron.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I don't recall anything at all to the left although my focus was Premium and ES. Frankly, they didn't fill a quarter of the available spots. Luxury, too, was weak: not more than five or six vehicles including a Town Car, a Grand Marquis, and a Lincoln MKX crossover. With Premium and ES that bad I immediately dismissed the thought of checking the EA.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 10:27 am

Programs: AC SE, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
Cool.. thanks for the update. In April, in those 'special' spaces.. There was a MB GLK, MB C300, Mini Cooper Club, Lincoln Navigator, new Camaro, etc.

Ron.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 4:07 pm

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
Originally Posted by newfbc
Was there anything nice parked to the left as you entered through the doors? When I was there April, this is where the 'nice' stuff was parked. Going again in 2 weeks.. hope there's a better selection than what you mentioned.

Ron.
Left is Emerald Aisle; Right is Emerald Exec.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by Mrp Alert
Left is Emerald Aisle; Right is Emerald Exec.
The section I was referring to, is immediately through the doors.. they had 'special/elite' or whatever class of vehicle parked there in April. They were all locked and you have to get the keys from an attendant.

Ron.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 8:45 am

The section I was referring to, is immediately through the doors.. they had 'special/elite' or whatever class of vehicle parked there in April. They were all locked and you have to get the keys from an attendant.
They do still have this special section, but it wasn't very special on my last trip in August. There was a Tahoe (which I ended up renting), a huge 4x4 truck, a 300, and a convertible Mustang. I remember back in January and March when I rented from this special section, there were very nice options like MB, Volvo, etc. Granted, I arrived on a Wednesday morning - maybe the options get better towards the weekend.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Was there anything nice parked to the left as you entered through the doors?
This unmarked 'specials' area this morning contained four vehicles:

- one MB C300
- one Dodge Challenger
- one Kia Sorento
- one Kia Sportage

The ES was better populated, with about fifteen vehicles, again reflecting overweighting on Chrysler products:

- several Chrysler 300s
- several Dodge Chargers
- one Chrysler minivan
- one Camry
- a few Impalas
- a Buick Enclave
Old Oct 6, 2010, 7:22 pm

11AM, Wednesday, 9/29/2010

Slim pickins in the Executive Selection aisle. I searched around but only saw about 10 cars, from memory Kia and Malibu sedans, a few compacts in the mix that I didn't bother looking at. Hailed a very nice attendant who took us to the Premium aisle and told us to pick out whatever we wanted. Not much there either! We chose a Chrysler 300 Touring car (no Hemi) for a road trip from Vegas to Orange County, CA, and back to Vegas.

As for the area of cars to the immediate left as you go out the doors, we tried that first but were told by the attendant those are 'reserved' and not for Executive level renters.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 3:43 pm

Flew in late on Friday, December 3rd. I'd rate the selection as pretty poor:

*Half dozen Chrysler 300s, two with leather.
*Two Dodge Chargers
*Half dozen Ford Crown Victorias
*Half dozen+ Chevy Impalas
*A dozen+ Kia Sorentos
*One brand new Jeep Grand Cherokee with the redesigned body style. I'd have taken this in a heartbeat but was beat to it by someone off the same shuttle bus
*Two Dodge Journeys
*One 4x4 Ford Explorer

Emerald Isle had a Malibu, more Crown Victorias, more Impalas, a Camry, and some Sebrings.

I ended up picking the Explorer since I correctly thought the tall ride height would make it easier for my sister, on her first trip to Vegas, to look out the window and see the sites. I was rather tempted to try and grab a Jetta from the midsize row, and would have grabbed that Camry had I had to do any long distance driving. The Explorer was fine, 19k miles and with a V6 which meant it was working hard moving that heavy chassis and 4x4 gear. The 15mpg were not unexpected.

When I dropped off the Kia SUVs were ALL gone, which surprised me. The only notable addition was a Buick car, and despite reading Car & Driver and Road & Track cover to cover each month I can't tell a Lucerne from a Lacrosse, so all I know is that it wasn't a Regal.

This was my first Executive Selection experience, and the convenience/customer service side of things went well. However there are a lot of inexpensive but interesting cars (entry Volvos and Dodge Challengers are both mentioned above) and it's too bad none of the ~30 cars on display happened to include any.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sunrise089
The only notable addition was a Buick car, and despite reading Car & Driver and Road & Track cover to cover each month I can't tell a Lucerne from a Lacrosse, so all I know is that it wasn't a Regal.
Self-deprecating... I like it.

You didn't see Ford Crown Victorias, either, unless National has taken possession of a bunch of used cop cars. Mercury Grand Marquis, maybe?
Old Dec 9, 2010, 2:47 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by sunrise089
One brand new Jeep Grand Cherokee with the redesigned body style. I'd have taken this in a heartbeat but was beat to it by someone off the same shuttle bus
I think that was me! I got a black one about 10:15 Friday night (I got in on the Canadian Expedia deal and took the wife to Vegas for her birthday).

I liked it so much I've been asking if the agents will comp-upgrade me on it as an EE. In SAN now with one, it's really nice with the no-key start and lock.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 8:08 pm

I deal with LAS National a handful of times a year since I live here. I'm not Executive, but in any case, I've never gotten anything worthwhile off the Emerald Aisle. I usually end up reserving luxury or convertibles, so it generally doesn't matter, but it's disappointing nonetheless. Once I found a fancy Buick SUV, but when I drove it to the checkout thing, the guy insisted I couldn't take it for my price, despite it absolutely coming off the EA. I was in a rush, so after 10 minutes I gave up and took something else.

FWIW, somebody mentioned it earlier, but I've never received anything but a Chrysler Sebring for a 'vert. Hell, even the one time I rented in Louisville gave better results (Pontiac G6 hardtop..good score).
Old Dec 15, 2010, 3:26 am

I rented a standard 2011 Camaro from Alamo. I had booked a Convertible and they wanted to give me a Sebring, so I paid $25/day + tax extra to get the Camaro.

Nice car, but there should be a way to get it for cheaper than that considering it was the standard model Camaro.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 4:19 pm

EXEC@LAS JAN13 7am

Got there...pathetic. I assumed it was due to CES/AVN people already there. 2 Chrysler Sebring cov't. No thanks, it was pretty chilly for me. A dodge Challenger, and a Crown Victoria. Seriously....4 cars?!? Picked the Challenger, first thing I noticed was that it smelled like weed. Thought great, i'll get pulled over and the cops will want to do a search. But really didn't like the other 3 choices. Just as i'm rolling out, a Nissan Maxima rolls in fresh from a wash. Quickly parked the pot-mobile and swapped.

I know it was a busy convention week, but I wasn't really offered a selection. EA had like 15+ cars, and ES had 4.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 9:10 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Last night, I got a BRAND NEW Hyundai Genesis. Man I love this car... wish I didn't have to give it back today :-/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.