Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

Has anyone used Discover Card Cashback for National?

Old Apr 16, 08, 1:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAPlt 1MM, HHDmd, MBvLTG, PCAmb

First time I noticed National Car Rental as a redemption option for my Discover Card cashback bonus. It is under the double your reward category -- $20 cashback = $40 National certificate. Was wondering if anyone has used these? If yes, what type of rate does it have to be booked against?

Here is the information from discovercard.com.

National Car Rental, one of the largest car rental brands in the world, has been a leader in the car rental industry for more than 50 years. National, along with its frequent renter program The Emerald Club®, has a solid reputation as the car rental company of choice.

- Certificates must be applied at time of reservation. Book online at www.nationalcar.com or call 1-800-CAR-RENT® (800-227-7368).

- When making a reservation, be sure to reference your unique coupon code, which is provided upon redemption.

- One certificate per National rental.

National Car Rental certificates are valid for 6 months. Restrictions apply, please see National Car Rental Terms and Conditions for details.

Terms and Conditions: Certificate valid for reservations on all car classes. Valid for new reservations only; cannot be applied to existing reservations or completed rentals. One certificate per National rental and void once coupon code is redeemed. Offer is subject to standard rental conditions. Blackout dates may apply. Not valid with any other offer, discount or promotional rate. No minimum rental-day required. Subject to availability and valid only at participating National locations in the United States. 24-Hour advance reservation may be required. No credit for unused amount. Certificates are not redeemable for cash and have no residual or cash value. Offer not valid in Manhattan, N.Y. VOID if bought, bartered or sold for cash. Not transferable by recipient. ©2008 Vanguard Car Rental USA Inc. All rights reserved.
Old Jul 3, 08, 4:59 pm

Programs: 1MM UA
I was just looking into this and have the same question.
Has anyone had any experience, positive or negative?
Old Jul 11, 08, 8:34 pm
Original Member

If you use cash bonuse check in Staples, you can't apply for any coupon code at all.
Old Sep 13, 08, 9:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAPlt 1MM, HHDmd, MBvLTG, PCAmb
Finally took the plunge and decided to try out the Discover cashback for National. Redeemed $20 cashback for a $40 National coupon. You have the option of electronic or paper certificate for the award. I choose electronic and was able to view the coupon immediately (though they say it will be there for up to a year).

Happy to report back that I was able to go to national.com, use my favorite Contract ID, and also apply the coupon code to a reservation for next month. I tried my dates without the coupon first -- then edited the trip info and added the Discover coupon. On the confirmation screen it had the exact same days @ x per day as before - what I was expecting - and then just below had the coupon applied -40.00.

Very happy to have a double cashback option that I can actually use.
Old Sep 17, 08, 6:39 am

assume since it comes in form of "coupon" vs a voucher, u can't combine with existing coupons that r out there
Old Sep 17, 08, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by keishashadow View Post
assume since it comes in form of "coupon" vs a voucher, u can't combine with existing coupons that r out there
The T&C language might suggest that although that strikes me as standard coupon boilerplate. The rental information page does have space for three coupon codes, after all.
Old Aug 30, 12, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by keishashadow View Post
Any updates from anyone? Can you use multiple coupons?
Old Aug 30, 12, 3:58 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Hyatt Platnium, National Executive Elite
I actually do not recommend this option offered by Discover. I tried to use a voucher I got from Discover at PHL. The Discover voucher is actually a post-tax coupon, it is simply a deduction of your total rental payment including tax compare to many other coupons that is a pre-tax deduction and taxes calculated based on deducted price.

An example I tried was a $35 entertainment coupon V.S. discover $40 voucher, my total rental payment was actually the same, with Discover lower by about 20 cents instead of $5. Why waste your $20 Discover credit on this when you can get entertainment codes on this site for free and the difference is only 20 cents? Use your Discover credit on something else that's worthy.
Old Aug 31, 12, 10:56 am

Programs: Marriott Plat; National Emerald Exec Elite
I've used the discover coupons and think its a great deal. You can use them on one day rentals where others may not work.
Old Aug 31, 12, 6:09 pm

Programs: UA nothing (former multi-year CO Platinum), AA 1M Gold, HH Diamond, National Executive
Originally Posted by nightracerx View Post
I actually do not recommend this option offered by Discover. I tried to use a voucher I got from Discover at PHL. The Discover voucher is actually a post-tax coupon, it is simply a deduction of your total rental payment including tax compare to many other coupons that is a pre-tax deduction and taxes calculated based on deducted price.

An example I tried was a $35 entertainment coupon V.S. discover $40 voucher, my total rental payment was actually the same, with Discover lower by about 20 cents instead of $5. Why waste your $20 Discover credit on this when you can get entertainment codes on this site for free and the difference is only 20 cents? Use your Discover credit on something else that's worthy.
I can't find any $35 Entertainment coupons good for one day (or short) rentals. Are they only good on longer rentals? Also keep in mind, it only takes $20 of Discover cash credit to get a $40 National coupon.
Old Sep 2, 12, 7:07 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Plat Exec., DL Rust, National E.E.
I use these all the time. They are great if your sub-total before taxes and fees is over $40. They can be used with any contract id, but can't be used with other coupons.

For example, if you're renting for one day and the base rate is $35 and the total with fees is $50, you will have to pay $15 for the concession junk fees and taxes out of pocket.
Old Feb 4, 13, 11:53 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Bump, any folks with luck on using these PLUS the weekend cpns (free day for 3 night including sat stay cpn).

Or, can these be used with the 12Free cpns?
Old Nov 3, 13, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by mnredfox View Post
Bump, any folks with luck on using these PLUS the weekend cpns (free day for 3 night including sat stay cpn).

Or, can these be used with the 12Free cpns?
Bump, anyone? I assume they cannot be used with ANY other coupons right? Can they be used with free days (non 12F promos)? Can they be stacked?
Old Nov 8, 13, 8:45 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by mnredfox View Post
Bump, anyone? I assume they cannot be used with ANY other coupons right? Can they be used with free days (non 12F promos)? Can they be stacked?
Cannot be used with other coupons or "regular" banked free days. You can stack the 12F coupons up to IIRC 3 on 1 reservation. That's the general rule not sure about Discover though.
Old Aug 8, 17, 6:59 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Jetblue Mosaic, Alaska MVP Gold, National Executive Elite
It seems like these certificates are not working systemwide. Anybody have any luck recently?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: