Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at HNL

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Platinum
10/27 - around 11 AM looks like they moved the ES into some of the EA. Seems like the EA shrank to about half the size. Both EA and ES were not impressive. EA had malibus and a charger. ES had a suv and some 300s. I used a free cert for a mustang convertible.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 1:42 am

Programs: National Exec, HA Pualani Gold
Picked up a rental this morning. The relocated ES had a '13 Escape, Maxima, and a Liberty. EA had a '12 Santa Fe and the ubiquitous Malibu and Impala.

Looks like they are using the old ES stalls for more Premium vehicles (up from just 1 stall before).

I took the '13 Escape. It was an SEL 2.0 2WD with 5K miles. Nice ride; got about 25MPG.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by qs933
Picked up a rental this morning. The relocated ES had a '13 Escape, Maxima, and a Liberty. EA had a '12 Santa Fe and the ubiquitous Malibu and Impala.

Looks like they are using the old ES stalls for more Premium vehicles (up from just 1 stall before).

I took the '13 Escape. It was an SEL 2.0 2WD with 5K miles. Nice ride; got about 25MPG.
You must have a light foot.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 12:22 am

Originally Posted by drzoidberg
You must have a light foot.
Sample size was probably misleading, though -- just 50 miles. When I gassed up, I put 2 gallons in.

I usually get around 18 MPG on a similar route with my 4Runner (with a V6).
Old Nov 12, 2012, 4:04 am

Picked up late Saturday night -- slim pickings due to the long weekend.

The relocated Executive stalls had a couple of '12 Malibus. On the plus side, the number of stalls for Exec doubled from 5 to 10. The EA stalls had an Impala, a few Malibus, a Charger, and a brand new Jetta.

I had an IFAR reserved, but the only one available was a Patriot. I asked to take the Charger instead, since I've never driven one (the '11+ models; drove lots of the previous generation). Turned out to be a well-worn 2011 with 28,000 miles.

After I picked up the rest of my party at the airport, they let me know that one of the headlights was out. I swung by the lot and exchanged for a '12 CC, which had been in the Premium stalls (also pretty well worn with 18K miles).
Old Dec 11, 2012, 1:44 am
EEE

Programs: UA Gold
I rented out of the Ala Moana location (which doesn't have its own thread?) over the weekend, with a same-day drop at HNL before my flight. My employer's contract waives drop fees within some radius that's larger than the HNL-Waikiki distance, so the price actually turned out to be exactly the same as a taxi would have been. Perfect way to get wheels for the day while waiting for my redeye. ^

They offered me my choice of cars and SUVs, so I grabbed a Jeep Liberty. Never driven one, thought it'd be cool to see how it compares to the Wrangler Sports that I often get in Hawaii. Actually turned out somebody had been smoking up pretty heavily in it (and not tobacco), but I only planned to drive it for a few hours, so I shrugged it off. If anyone else sees a silver Jeep Liberty around HNL with "288" as part of its license plate number, take a whiff and see if they've gotten the smell out yet.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 5:05 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
Just rented a brand new Subaru Forrster. There were three in the Exec Aisle. Nice ride. Got 21mpg over two weeks and 450 miles all over the island. Better than the 18.5 I got on a Malibu last August. The Subie was comfortable, relatively quiet, tight turn radius and very good handling. Only negative was that there was no horizontal shade cover for the cargo area to hide stuff.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 9:59 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, UA MP, National EE, Marriott Gold, Avis First, WS Rewards
2/3
Counter "Hybrid" Service:
Offered:
-Anything on ES/Premium
-2DR Jeep (Bright Orange with really only AC)
-Lexus CT200H for $15/day (ICAH) (2K)

ES/Premium:
-1X 4Runner (SFAR) (13K)
-1X Sonata Hybrid (SCAH) (5mi)
-2X Suzuki Kizashi (SCAR) (6K; 8K)
-1X 300C V6
-1X Optima Hybrid (7K)
-1X Camry Hybrid (FCAH) (10K)
-1X 2013 Acadia (230mi)
-1X Jetta Hybrid (3K)
-1X Captiva
-2X Mustang Conv.
-1X Eclipse Spyder (30K)

After waffling back and forth on what car I wanted to try, I finally decided to settle the dilemma by taking the lowest mileage out of my choices! So the Sonata was the end choice! There are lots of little quirks with this puppy, but I had to return it at Ala Moana because of exactly what the agent said "we have a loco coco". apparently thats code name for "falling coconuts" and it took a number on the front of the car! I ended up getting a CT200H after all!
Old Feb 5, 2013, 10:01 pm

Sounds like the selection got a lot more interesting...when I was shopping for my personal vehicle, it was between the CT200h and the 4Runner. Two very different vehicles. If they had one in the fleet last year, I would've paid to rent a CT for a week just to actually "live" with it (I've owned a previous gen 4Runner and have always had SUVs, so I pretty much knew what I was getting).
Old Feb 10, 2013, 8:28 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, UA MP, National EE, Marriott Gold, Avis First, WS Rewards
2/10
Offered:
-Again, anything on ES/Prem
-Audi A5 Conv. for +$65/day (WXAR)
-Lexus ES300h for +$35/day

ES/Prem:
-1X Sequioa (19K)
-1X Suzuki SX4 (ICAR) (17K)
-1X Outback (12K)
-1X Legacy (11K)
-1X Venza (20K)
-1X 2013 Malibu (11K), it looked it too
-1X Taurus Limited (23K)
-1X Grand Cherokee Limited (9K)
-1X Passat (15K)
-1X Camry XLE (FXAR:rolleyes) (13K)
-1X Juke (10K)
-1X Grand Cherokee Laredo (21K)
-1X 2012 Rav4 Limited w cloth (26K)
-1X Nitro (37K!!!!!!!)
-1X Wrangler Unlimited (25K)

However, I did notice several Buick Encore's (SXAR) in the "storage" area without tags and when I asked about them the agent curtly told me "If you want something like that I have a Juke for you." I had trouble picking the best of the worst and the agent seemed annoyed making suggestions right left and center "You know the Venza offers yadda yadda and you know the Malibu is brand new and I'm sure you haven't seen an Outback back in Washington" The thing was, I wasn't there for that long and I was basically finding the lowest mileage, which all of them failed miserably on. I chose the Grand Cherokee Limited. Very weirdly optioned though. 4x2 (ok, on a Jeep that's wrong!), 20" rims, NAV, Heated steering wheel, rear DVD and the HEMI all dressed in baby blue (Winter Chill).
Old Feb 11, 2013, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by Alaska737890
... the agent curtly told me "If you want something like that I have a Juke for you."
OK, I gottta ask - what is a Juke? lol
Old Feb 11, 2013, 1:23 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Ritz
OK, I gottta ask - what is a Juke? lol
Old Feb 16, 2013, 4:05 pm

They made a few more changes since I was last there in November. Seems like there are more Exec stalls than Emerald (numbered 1 - 7) now. Two booths under tents face each other vs. facing the road; probably safer for customers.

The selection today? Disappointing. In the Exec stalls, there were:
- several 2013 Forresters, all a couple months old
- '12 Liberty with a huge ding on the door
- '12 Rogue
- '13 Escape SEL (with missing state inspection sticker)
- '11 Mazda CX7
- '13 Juke

EA had:
-'12 Malibu LT
-'13 Passat

I took the Passat, as it was brand new (<2 months) and I had never driven one. Driving off the lot, I noticed that the brake had very little pressure and the pedal itself was sticking. I turned around and exchanged it.

The attendant tried to convince me that it was new so it couldn't be broken and that all VWs are like that and that I'm just not used to it...didn't matter to me. I exchanged it for a Forrester (2K miles).

I've read a lot about Subarus and their loyal following; I don't know...I'm really not too impressed with the Forrester. Hard plastics everywhere, the base stereo sounds terrible (even for a base system), doors feel tin-canny, cloth seats feel cheap; steering wheel is tilt-only...

Even the positives have offsetting negatives. It has Bluetooth (phone and audio). Pairing was simple. However, it didn't want to automatically resync with my iPhone (source not found error).

Last edited by qs933; Feb 16, 2013 at 4:14 pm
Old Feb 20, 2013, 6:40 pm

Wonder what the odds are of getting that A5 Cabriolet on a convertible award rez?
Old Mar 3, 2013, 6:33 pm

I am going to be going there and the next week and was just wondering what cars people have seen recently?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.