Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at HNL

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2011, 4:57 pm

Programs: National Exec, HA Pualani Gold
Picked up a 1-day Full Size rental late on 11/14. Traffic through the airport was crazy, possibly due to APEC-related departures.

The ES stalls were all small SUVs:
- Nissan Rogue
- Ford Escape
- Hyundai Santa Fe
- Dodge Nitro (2x)

The EA stalls were the standard mix of mid and full size cars (Sonata, Malibu, Impala) and a couple of Lincoln Town Cars.

Only downside: I had to put up with the questioning by the agent upon return regarding the fine scratches and swirl marks in the black paint, none of which was visible in the parking lot at night, but stood out in the sun. My guess? The car wash, as many of the swirl marks were on the roof and trunk.

I took a black Town Car since it was only a 1-day rental and I needed to seat 5 + 4 large suitcases, which the Town Car handled fine. Kind of neat driving a black Lincoln Town Car -- I felt like either a driver for a rich person and/or the mob.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 1:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Go Bears!
Must have picked up the same Volvo S60 as qs933 (ES). Drives nicely, agreed that the spare in the trunk is annoying.

The ES aisle also had a Hyundai Santa Fe, what looked like an older Chrysler 300, Mustang, and a Jeep Wrangler. Only thing I remembered from EA was a Nissan Altima.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Picked up a TSX in early Oct.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 12:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Platinum
12/2 @ 8:30 PM

ES had a CC, Sorento, and 2 Jeep Liberty. Was worried the people in front of me would take the CC but luckily only one was Exec and chose one of the Jeeps.

EA had various, saw a prius, jetta, crown vic.

12/4 @ 7AM when returning, ES was SUV's mostly and a Cadi DTS. Saw a towncar in the EA which was interesting.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 3:23 pm

Programs: Southwest AList, National EC Exec, Avis Preferred Plus, Hertz 5S
Anyone rent from here recently? I'm about to pick up a convertible using 2 unrestricted free days, but I still have OTF days to burn and want to know

1) if convertibles are a frequent site in EE?

2) how is their convertible selection? Should be pretty good, being a tourist island and whatnot, no?
Old Mar 3, 2012, 10:53 am

Programs: US CP, MR Plat
I rented there in December, the executive aisle had a Jeep Wrangler, Camero, Escape and an S60, which I took. I only noticed one convertible in the National lot, it was a Sebring. I spent 3 weeks in Hawaii on 3 islands, and I only noticed mustangs and sebrings as rentals anywhere on all three islands.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 3:54 pm

Picked up a rental on 3/2; ES had a CC, Maxima, and two Nissan Rogues. All were 2012 models, but the CC was almost a year old and had 12K miles.

I took the Maxima since I had never driven one. The Emerald booth wasn't open yet (opens at 7am), so I had to go to the counter. The agent was helpful, but she wasn't too familiar with how Exec membership worked. Fortunately, her manager was also behind the counter and reminded her to offer the cars in the Exec stalls.

The Emerald stalls had the usual assortment of Malibus and Impalas, along with Jettas and a couple of 2012 Camrys. Was surprised to see several aging 2010 Chargers on the lot.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 1:12 am

OK, so picked up this morning (Sat, 3/3). Let me tell you, the convertible was a game time decision as it was raining steadily this morning.

They gave me the only convertible; a White 2012 Mustang base with 6k miles on it. Not much to say about it; it's what I expected. I did almost get stuck in mud, but that's another story altogether...

The ES had a Maxima that someone was already sitting in, and a 2012 300 with the big touchscreen.

EA had the usual Altimas, Malibus, and Chargers.

Walking through the shared lot, I was envious of other companies' Camaro convertibles. Despite being heavier and having worse visibility than the Mustang, it just looks so sexy. I wish National had Camaro Convertibles. They have the coupes, so why not?
Old Mar 5, 2012, 2:17 am

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Jack Wang
The ES had a Maxima that someone was already sitting in, and a 2012 300 with the big touchscreen.
That probably was the silver Maxima I returned late at night on 3/2.

I've seen a few Volvo convertibles in National's fleet, along with (I think) a few Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyders.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 8:21 am

Programs: AC SE, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
Originally Posted by Jack Wang
Walking through the shared lot, I was envious of other companies' Camaro convertibles. Despite being heavier and having worse visibility than the Mustang, it just looks so sexy. I wish National had Camaro Convertibles. They have the coupes, so why not?

Have a Camaro SS Convertible booked with Hertz points in early April. Wanted a Corvette, but they don't have em in Hawaii.

Ron.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by qs933
That probably was the silver Maxima I returned late at night on 3/2.

I've seen a few Volvo convertibles in National's fleet, along with (I think) a few Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyders.
It was a silver Maxima, so I think you're right!
Old Mar 5, 2012, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by newfbc
Have a Camaro SS Convertible booked with Hertz points in early April. Wanted a Corvette, but they don't have em in Hawaii.

Ron.
Wow, that sounds sweet. I hope you push it a little!
Old Mar 10, 2012, 11:41 am

Picked up late last night and was a little disappointed with ES selection. There were just three cars:

- 2011 Camaro (looked like a base model)
- 2012 Altima coupe (2x)

Four adults and luggage wasn't going to work in any of those. I asked for the 2012 Lacrosse in the stall adjacent to the Emerald booth but was told it was on hold (probably someone with a PCAR reservation -- there were no other PCARs on the lot).

Was offered any of the sedans in the Emerald stalls. All brand new Malibus and one Jetta that was over a year old. Took a 2012 Malibu 2LT4 with 40 miles. They actually have several different trims. The 2LT has heated, "ultralux" seats (some kind of pseudo-suede and leather or leather-lookalike combo), USB input, and a handy 110 volt outlet on the back of the console.

Definitely a decent ride, but it broke my string of interesting rentals vs. the typical Malibu/Impala/Fusion (though thenext gens of each of these will definitely change that stigma).

Flying into OGG today; hopefully I have better luck there!
Old Mar 29, 2012, 9:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Platinum
3/22 @ 7 PM. EA was mainly Altimas, Malibus and Impalas. The Malibus were LTZ models with under 1,000 miles and were pretty much fully loaded models. I must say Chevy has improved tremendously.

ES had Buicks, and a Jeep Commander.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 12:05 pm

Rented recently on the ES.
Selection: 2 Nissan Rogue's -- one with a massive dent in the roof. Each of them looked fairly beat up as well. VW CC that looked really nice, but I had to have 5 passenger capacity and there is a center console in the back.
The Silver Maxima was there, middle of back seat does not look comfortable though so I skipped.
Buick LaCrosse with less than 1500 miles. Nicely equipped but my initial reaction was negative because it was a Buick. Ended up taking it because EA just had a bunch of Malibus, Altima's etc.

Buick was a nice ride with leather, seat heaters (a must in Hawaii ) and all the bells and whistles. Drove nice and was impressive. Not my fathers Buick.

By the way, when you rent you have to go to the Emerald Booth in the lot to get your key once you have identified the car you want. Not a 'pure' Emerald Isle location.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.