Cars at HNL

Old Aug 23, 10, 3:05 am

Programs: National Exec, HA Pualani Gold
Originally Posted by gpapadop View Post
I need to book something asap as I am getting to HNL at 3 pm on August 24...so please be gentle, thanks!
If you book a full size, you'll be charged the midsize rate as an Exec. In HNL, there is no official Emerald Aisle or Executive Selection aisle. However, there is an Emerald Booth in the lot, which should be your method of pickup when you reserve a full size in HNL.

You'll be instructed at the booth to choose from a vehicle in the dozen or so stalls across from the booth (typically standard sized vehicles, with the occasional full size) or from the two Exec stalls to the left of the booth (usually a premium; I've also seen SUVs and convertibles, but not too often).
Old Aug 23, 10, 7:21 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum
Thanks for the info! So, online at the National website, my default car size comes up as a Midsize. Do I book a midsize and then pick up a Full size (or a convertible or premium if I get lucky) or do I book a full size and then at checkout the price gets lowered to Mid size?

I usually Priceline my car rentals but if I have a shot at a convertible, combined with the rent 2 get 1 free, I may just go direct this time
Old Aug 27, 10, 1:23 pm

Picked up a rental this morning; the pseudo-EA had a couple Grand Marquis, a Kia Soul, a few Impalas, and a Malibu LS. The Executive stalls had a Buick Lucerne and a 2011 Taurus SEL (cloth interior, but still tagged PXAR).

Unfortunately, the Emerald Booth wasn't open yet. The poor counter person was stressed with the long line from the morning rush. At first I was offered either a Malibu or Impala, but was allowed to take the Taurus instead after mentioning that I'm usually offered the vehicles parked in the Exec stalls with a full size reservation.
Old Sep 7, 10, 12:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Platinum
9/3 at about 8 PM - Executive stalls had a Cadillac DTS and CTS. Took the CTS and it was nice. I did see a TSX right next to it and was tempted to ask for it. It was dark and couldn't see the rest of the aisle but did see several grand marquis.

9/6 - While walking through the lot to the terminal, I saw they had challengers in the Executive stalls.
Old Oct 12, 10, 12:34 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
10/9 (Saturday) - I walked by the EA around 11:30 a.m. and saw three Crown Victoria/Grand Marquis parked in the stalls. I didn't see anything smaller! The ES had a Charger and a 300M.
Old Oct 12, 10, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian View Post
10/9 (Saturday) - I walked by the EA around 11:30 a.m. and saw three Crown Victoria/Grand Marquis parked in the stalls. I didn't see anything smaller! The ES had a Charger and a 300M.
Sounds like I'll have a very low probability of grabbing one of the Acura SUVs
Old Nov 2, 10, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Any recent updates from HNL? As an Exec with a FS reservation, I'd like to grab an Acura SUV, but would be happy with any small SUV or minivan. I certainly don't want to be driving around O'ahu in a Crown Victoria looking like the least cool person on the island.
Old Nov 2, 10, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen View Post
Any recent updates from HNL? As an Exec with a FS reservation, I'd like to grab an Acura SUV, but would be happy with any small SUV or minivan. I certainly don't want to be driving around O'ahu in a Crown Victoria looking like the least cool person on the island.
I haven't seen an Acura SUV (MDX or RDX) at National here at HNL...I think there was mention of a TSX, which is the small sedan (like an Infiniti G37).

I've picked up multiple rentals this year at HNL and the typical Exec cars that I've seen are the 300, Lucerne, and Taurus. I saw a Sebring convertible once and a Murano once.

They usually put the Grand Marquis in the pseudo-Aisle spots.
Old Nov 13, 10, 3:49 pm

Picked up a rental this morning. They changed the layout slightly. There are now five Executive stalls to the right of the Emerald booth (previously it was to the left and only two stalls).

This morning, there were:
- (2) Challengers
- (2) 300s
- (1) Lucerne

One of the 300s was almost new (less than a month old). The Lucerne had about 10K miles. I took the latter because the trunk looked slightly larger (needed to carry about 4 medium-sized suitcases).

The pseudo-EA stalls had a couple of Impalas, a Charger, a Grand Marquis, and a couple of 300s.
Old Nov 15, 10, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by qs933 View Post
Picked up a rental this morning. They changed the layout slightly. There are now five Executive stalls to the right of the Emerald booth (previously it was to the left and only two stalls).

This morning, there were:
- (2) Challengers
- (2) 300s
- (1) Lucerne

One of the 300s was almost new (less than a month old). The Lucerne had about 10K miles. I took the latter because the trunk looked slightly larger (needed to carry about 4 medium-sized suitcases).

The pseudo-EA stalls had a couple of Impalas, a Charger, a Grand Marquis, and a couple of 300s.
Sounds exactly like my experience last week. I was sitting in the best 300 I could find when a jockey drove up with a Prius that was returned from a local Enterprise shop.

I hopped out of the 300 and got in the Prius.
Old Dec 15, 10, 1:51 pm

Programs: HH Gold, SPG Gold, AA Plat, Avis PC and lots of other plastic cards with logos on them.
With regards to the ES area, it sounds like I should expect my fair share of Lucernes, Taruses, maybe a few Caddys and a few TSX's?

Sounds good to me as I have a rental coming up in HNL in April and would like something to roll around the island with. By any chance, do Jeeps show up in the ES or EA aisle?
Old Dec 15, 10, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bthobe View Post
With regards to the ES area, it sounds like I should expect my fair share of Lucernes, Taruses, maybe a few Caddys and a few TSX's?

Sounds good to me as I have a rental coming up in HNL in April and would like something to roll around the island with. By any chance, do Jeeps show up in the ES or EA aisle?
Your expectation should be more 300s, Chargers and maybe, just maybe, one Lucerne or similar Buick. Banish the TSX from your dreams. A Jeep is possible, but unlikely.

Remember, if you're ES but see something better on the EA or regular aisle (not pre-reserved for a customer or a completely different category), just ask the Emerald Booth and they should be able to accommodate you.
Old Dec 15, 10, 6:25 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

I picked up last Friday 12/11 about 5 PM - ES was a choice of color on 300s which was fine with me but nothing exciting.
Old Dec 19, 10, 6:04 pm

Programs: HH Gold, SPG Gold, AA Plat, Avis PC and lots of other plastic cards with logos on them.
Originally Posted by bocastephen View Post
Your expectation should be more 300s, Chargers and maybe, just maybe, one Lucerne or similar Buick. Banish the TSX from your dreams. A Jeep is possible, but unlikely.

Remember, if you're ES but see something better on the EA or regular aisle (not pre-reserved for a customer or a completely different category), just ask the Emerald Booth and they should be able to accommodate you.
Thanks for the heads up.
Old Jan 26, 11, 9:29 pm

Programs: Skymiles, AAdvantage, MileagePlus, Emerald Executive, Priority Club
Just drove a 2011 Lincoln MKX from the Exec Aisle at HNL.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: