Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at HNL

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2019, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by qs933
Picked up Saturday afternoon. There was a single car on the Emerald line and about a half-dozen on the Exec line.

Exec line had:
- 2018 Ford Explorer Limited
- 2019 Ford Fusion SE
- VW Beetle Convertible
- 2x 2019 Subaru Forester
- Acura TLX

I had a luxury reservation and was offered a Cadillac XTS (2019 and 2018) or a Range Rover Evoque. I wanted to take the Evoque, but was trying to determine if I could fit 3 large suitcases in the back. There was a larger Range Rover Velar parked next to the Evoque and the agent mentioned it’d be an upcharge.

I figured I’d be able to squeeze into the Evoque, but the agent came back with the key to the Velar and said go ahead and take it. My rentals are booked as Luxury and are for less than a day, so I think that factors into getting these very nice upgrades.
What time in the afternoon did you pick up, if you don't mind me asking? I'm flying in on a Saturday next month (the 9th) and renting with National for the first time using the Exec perk from my Sapphire Reserve card. I know scrolling through this thread that it has been mentioned before that Sat/Sun/Mon are the busiest. I'm just trying to get a feel for how slim the pickings might be since my flight lands around 1. I booked a Full-Size but I've been debating on upping the class on it.

Thanks!
Old Feb 18, 2019, 7:19 pm

Programs: National Exec, HA Pualani Gold
Originally Posted by AznManDown
What time in the afternoon did you pick up, if you don't mind me asking?
I picked up around 2. The National booth wasn’t too busy. There was one person in line in front of me and when I left, there were a couple of people who had just arrived. I’ve picked up on a Saturday around noon and it was much busier.

This was also a 3-day weekend, so inter-island travelers probably arrived Friday evening after work or Saturday morning.
ginmqi and AznManDown like this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 9:26 am

Appreciate the info! Guess I'll just have to try my luck when the time comes.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 5:42 pm

I’ll usually book a Premium or Luxury when it’s only a few bucks more than a Full Size. My rentals at HNL are only for a day, so it’s not a huge difference (vs. a week or longer where the difference is multiplied). However, I’ve had no complaints when I’ve booked a Full Size and picked from the Exec line.

You can scroll through the past entries in this thread, but the Exec line will usually be a selection of Intermediate SUVs (Rogue SLs are nicely equipped; Forester is usually bare-bones), a few Premium sedans (Nissan Maxima, Acura TLX), and a sprinkling of Full Size sedans - Fusions, Camry, or Altima. The wildcards are the occasional larger SUV (up to and including the Audi Q7 — rare, but it’s happened), convertible, or Jeep Wrangler.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 9:04 pm

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
How far is the National Exec line from Alamo? I heard they're all in a parking garage but not sure if they're right next to each other.
Reason I asked is because I have a Luxury reservation with Alamo for $10 less than Full size / EC with National where I'm EE.
I'm thinking I can peek at both selections when I get there and pick the better of the two. Not sure how far apart they are though.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by aSiAnRiCk
How far is the National Exec line from Alamo? I heard they're all in a parking garage but not sure if they're right next to each other.
Reason I asked is because I have a Luxury reservation with Alamo for $10 less than Full size / EC with National where I'm EE.
I'm thinking I can peek at both selections when I get there and pick the better of the two. Not sure how far apart they are though.
I have only rented from National here. National is in the parking garage - 4th floor if I remember correctly. A quick Google search seems to indicate that Alamo is off airport a little bit and would require a shuttle bus ride.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
I have only rented from National here. National is in the parking garage - 4th floor if I remember correctly. A quick Google search seems to indicate that Alamo is off airport a little bit and would require a shuttle bus ride.
​​​​​​
That’s correct — Alamo is offsite and requires a shuttle-bus ride. Same thing for Enterprise — shuttle-bus ride offsite. The Enterprise lot is about half-way between National and Alamo, but none of the three are in walking distance of each other.
Auto Enthusiast and joachimm like this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 12:47 pm

It's really a YMMV.

I've been a long-time monthly renter there for about 1.5 years now and I've been to the lot to exchange out my car several times a month. I've seen it extremely busy in the middle of the day OR very slow.

Also note that selection can also change very quickly.

One time I arrived to see both rows about half full, and the executive row had not one but TWO full-size luxury SUV (brand new Lincoln Navigators) for the taking. As I was talking back to the booth, two people very quickly snagged the SUVs. They saw them and both were jogging quickly just far enough to get the parking spot # and tell the agent so they get the keys. So it can change within the hour.

They do bring out cars somewhat regularly (faster if it's busier) so I suppose you could wait (if you have the time to kill) to see if they bring out nicer cars.

You can scroll through the past entries in this thread, but the Exec line will usually be a selection of Intermediate SUVs (Rogue SLs are nicely equipped; Forester is usually bare-bones), a few Premium sedans (Nissan Maxima, Acura TLX), and a sprinkling of Full Size sedans - Fusions, Camry, or Altima. The wildcards are the occasional larger SUV (up to and including the Audi Q7 — rare, but it’s happened), convertible, or Jeep Wrangler.
For PCAR, I've really enjoyed their new Honda Accords. I've been in a Touring trim Accord and that was a very nice ride and features inside. One of the best infotainment design/screen setup I've used.

For the MPG/cost conscious driver that doesn't need a SUV/convertible/sporty-ness, they do have a sprinkling of Toyota Prius Two in the line up as well.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 9:50 am

You can scroll through the past entries in this thread
I think I've poured through this entire thread at least twice already. I'm the kind of person who likes to know as much as he can before going into something new. All good information though.

That being said, I upped my Full-Size to a Luxury. (A Why Not moment, since it'll probably be a while before I rent again after this).
ginmqi likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 8:53 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
For the first time in many years, I picked up a 2019 6th-gen Nissan Altima (loaded). As a former 1997 1st-gen Nissan Altima owner, the difference was striking. It's gigantic inside and very airy, while being incredibly long. It made me feel like I was in a Chevy Impala/Cadillac XTS (length-wise). Very smooth engine, nice to drive, and quality interior throughout.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 7:38 pm

Picked up this morning (Monday).

Exec Line:
- Jeep Wrangler JK Sahara
- Dodge Journey Crossroad
- 2018 Subaru Forester
- 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
- Toyota Sienna (2x)
- Jeep Cherokee Limited
- Nissan Rogue SV
- Hyundai Tucson
- Chevrolet Impala LT

Emerald Line:
- Many 2018 and 2019 Toyota Camry LE
- 2018 Nissan Altima SV
- Volkswagen Jetta
- Dodge Grand Caravan

I took the 2019 Chevy Impala LT V6 with 2K miles since I wanted a sedan. Was hoping to try a 2019 Altima, but the only Altima on the line was a 2018. When I returned the Impala later in the day, a 2019 Altima S was in the return line.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 9:56 am

Anyone have a general idea what types of cars HNL carries for a LCAR res?
Joonydell likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 12:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
After a long dry spell here, scored an Acura TSX Friday night around 8 pm. There were two of them in the Executive area, along with a nice new Honda Accord.

I've said it before, but the ladies working the counter here in the evening are absolute gems. Interacting with them is such a great start to a Hawaii visit . . . .
ginmqi likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 2:02 pm

Picked up on Saturday, late afternoon. I had a minivan reservation since it was less than booking a full size and was hoping to try a Chrysler Pacifica. Unfortunately, it was slim pickings after the early afternoon rush. Lots of empty spaces — the Emerald line was almost completely picked clean.

My minivan choices were a Toyota Sienna LE and a Dodge Grand Caravan GT. The agent also volunteered a Pathfinder on the Executive line. I asked if I could pick something from the line and was told go ahead.

On the Exec line:
- 2019 Subaru Forester (new model)
- 2019 Ford Escape SE (with some sort of blacked-out wheel package)
- 2018 Nissan Murano SV
- 2018 Nissan Rogue SL (2x)
- Dodge Journey
- Nissan Pathfinder SV
- 2018 Acura TLX

I took the Acura TLX with just under 10K miles. Like the Hondas in the HNL fleet, these appear to be one-off purchases from the local Acura dealer. This one had the 4-cylinder engine with the Technology Package, and dealer-installed options including mudflaps, all-weather floor mats, and cargo tray.

I may do a full ride report later, but I wasn’t as impressed as I thought I’d be. I’d rather have an Accord Touring, which are also in the HNL fleet. I couldn’t find a comfortable position behind the wheel and the multi-information display between the gauges seemed limited. Also did not like the two screen interface.
ginmqi likes this.
Old May 6, 2019, 9:11 pm

Picked up early this morning (Monday). Both Executive and Emerald lines were fairly well stocked.

On the Executive line:
- VW Beetle Convertible
- Nissan Frontier Crew Cab
- Dodge Grand Caravan GT
- Hyundai Tucson
- Honda Ridgeline
- 2019 Chrysler 300 Limited
- 2018 Honda Accord Sport 1.5L

On the Emerald line:
- Multiple 2018 and 2019 Toyota Camry LEs
- 2018 Nissan Altima SV
- Multiple Hyundai Konas
- Nissan Frontier Crew Cab
- Nissan Versa
- Toyota Corolla
- Subaru Impreza

I had a full-size reservation and it came down to the Accord or the 300. Went with the 300 because I thought the trunk would be slightly larger. I've lost track of Chrysler's trim levels over the years, but the 2019 Limited was fairly well equipped. No moonroof or Hemi V8, but it had 20" wheels and heated and ventilated front seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.