Cars at HNL

Old Dec 2, 2018, 4:34 pm

Programs: National Exec, HA Pualani Gold
Very interesting to see some new vehicles in the Exec row. We’ve seen most of the Honda lineup in the fleet, so I guess it was only a matter of time for a Ridgeline to appear.

Hopefully those folks who took the Navigator L don’t have to navigate (no pun intended) some of the tighter Waikiki parking garages. I think they put those larger upgrade vehicles on the line just to keep them rotating. Back when the Town Car was in the fleet, I’d occasionally find one on the Emerald row. When I asked an agent about it, she said the larger vehicles are hit and miss. Sometimes they don’t have enough and other times they can’t give them away because people don’t want to drive something so huge.

Is your Accord Touring the 1.5 or 2.0 model? The one I had was the 1.5 with CVT. I thought it was impressive and deserving of a Premium classification, unlike the previous-gen LX model I had rented.

I’m done renting for 2018, so looking forward to 2019!
ginmqi likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 2:01 am

Originally Posted by qs933
Very interesting to see some new vehicles in the Exec row. We’ve seen most of the Honda lineup in the fleet, so I guess it was only a matter of time for a Ridgeline to appear.

Hopefully those folks who took the Navigator L don’t have to navigate (no pun intended) some of the tighter Waikiki parking garages. I think they put those larger upgrade vehicles on the line just to keep them rotating. Back when the Town Car was in the fleet, I’d occasionally find one on the Emerald row. When I asked an agent about it, she said the larger vehicles are hit and miss. Sometimes they don’t have enough and other times they can’t give them away because people don’t want to drive something so huge.

Is your Accord Touring the 1.5 or 2.0 model? The one I had was the 1.5 with CVT. I thought it was impressive and deserving of a Premium classification, unlike the previous-gen LX model I had rented.

I’m done renting for 2018, so looking forward to 2019!
If only there's a chance for a Honda (Acura) NSX to show up on the ES aisle....hehe....only in my dreams.

I can see the demand AND the off-putting vibe for the large SUVs. Interestingly enough, the two Navigators were both taken by middle aged males who, presumably, were traveling by themselves as they loaded themself and 1 carry on bag into the ginormous SUVs, heh.

And indeed Waikiki and some older Hawaiian parking structures can be an issue. When I was in a Navigator I could not get into certain parking structures due to the height restriction.

My Accord Touring is the 1.5 turbo CVT. Certainly not as sporty as the 2.0T, BUT the model featured a full suite of interior amenities that I think may even be lacking in some luxury brands. Full active safety systems with blind spot and ACC and LKAS, HUD, leather interior, heated AND cooled seats, well-designed infotainment screen with physical knobs for quick volume and tuning changes, the gear shifter is easy and simple to use. Very quick reverse camera with decent quality. The little light surrounding the temp knobs that changes color depending on hot/cold setting is a nice little trick. I think the steering wheel and the partial digital dash is also very well designed and easy to use. Love the new styling and wheels as well and the new headlights (look like LEDs).

The only small gripe I've experienced so far is it seems finnicky when I try to mute the navigation guidance volume (I always mute that as it is actually distracting to me and interrupts the music/radio) and so with this Accord I've muted it (with some menu searching) but it seems that it still lowers the music/radio volume as if to give an upcoming turn guidance but with no voice as I've muted that volume....bit odd of an experience but I may have to drive more and mess with it.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 9:31 pm

I only had my Accord Touring for less than a day, but was also impressed. The main downsides were the hard plastics in the rear (not consistent with the upscale materials on the front doors, so definite cost-cutting there) and the firm ride with the 19” low-profile tires.

Also, I really liked the 19” wheels, but all four were already scuffed with just over 1,000 miles, so can’t imagine what they must look like now!
ginmqi likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 10:25 pm

I only had my Accord Touring for less than a day, but was also impressed. The main downsides were the hard plastics in the rear (not consistent with the upscale materials on the front doors, so definite cost-cutting there) and the firm ride with the 19 low-profile tires.

Also, I really liked the 19 wheels, but all four were already scuffed with just over 1,000 miles, so cant imagine what they must look like now!
Yeah all 4 wheels in mine (8000 miles) are quite curb rashed/scuffed. One thing that seems to always be true with any rental car....wheel rash galore.

One of the nearly new Navigators that I got back in June with only about 600 miles ALSO had bad wheel rash in 2 wheels. Given its mileage I likely was only the 2nd renter of that vehicle
Old Dec 5, 2018, 10:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ginmqi
My Accord Touring is the 1.5 turbo CVT. Certainly not as sporty as the 2.0T, BUT the model featured a full suite of interior amenities that I think may even be lacking in some luxury brands.
I only had my Accord Touring for less than a day, but was also impressed.
Wish I'd picked the Accord. Didn't like the Maxima at all. It was a stripper. Weak stereo, tinny feel.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Wish I'd picked the Accord. Didn't like the Maxima at all. It was a stripper. Weak stereo, tinny feel.
Did you get a base S model with cloth seats? Just like the Accords, National stocks a variety of trim levels. I saw a top-end Maxima Platinum at OGG (Maui) once, so that means they are probably in the HNL mix as well.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 5:54 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Did you get a base S model with cloth seats? Just like the Accords, National stocks a variety of trim levels. I saw a top-end Maxima Platinum at OGG (Maui) once, so that means they are probably in the HNL mix as well.
I think it was an SV. Leather seats, but the cheap stereo, no sunroof.

I have the same vehicle from MSP right now.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 1:38 am

I'm an Executive Elite and will be in HNL in Feb. I would like to add a brother-in-law as an additional driver. Any datapoints on whether this location actually charges a fee?
Joonydell likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by CrimsonMoose
I'm an Executive Elite and will be in HNL in Feb. I would like to add a brother-in-law as an additional driver. Any datapoints on whether this location actually charges a fee?
They never charged me. They have the nicest staff of pretty much anywhere on the planet.
ginmqi likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 10:40 pm

Friday 6 pm. Mediocre Executive selection (again). A bunch of Hyundai Santa Fe's. A Toyota Highlander, a Subaru Forrester, a stripped down Accord, and a Ford Edge Titanium. I took the Ford. Nice vehicle, though a bit bigger than I expected.
ginmqi likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Friday 6 pm. Mediocre Executive selection (again). A bunch of Hyundai Santa Fe's. A Toyota Highlander, a Subaru Forrester, a stripped down Accord, and a Ford Edge Titanium. I took the Ford. Nice vehicle, though a bit bigger than I expected.
The Highlander is new for HNL. Makes me wonder if well see the 19 RAV4 in the HNL fleet too.
ginmqi likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 6:48 pm

The Highlander is new for HNL. Makes me wonder if we’ll see the ‘19 RAV4 in the HNL fleet too.
Indeed. I didn't post an update post, but last week I was there and saw a bunch of Hyundai Konas as well as the usual suspects. There was a 2 door Wrangler on the ES side, a Dodge Journey, a Grand Caravan, and handful of Acura TLX.

I grabbed a 2019 Toyota Camry since I actually never drove this. (a snooze fest as is expected.....)

May go back to checkout what else they have or do another exchange/switch and see what's new out there.

Last edited by ginmqi; Jan 27, 2019 at 7:02 pm
Old Jan 28, 2019, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by ginmqi
Indeed. I didn't post an update post, but last week I was there and saw a bunch of Hyundai Konas as well as the usual suspects. There was a 2 door Wrangler on the ES side, a Dodge Journey, a Grand Caravan, and handful of Acura TLX.
I would love to get the Acura TLX again.

The Edge Titanium had nice features but a rode very roughly on any kind of uneven surface.
ginmqi likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 7:38 am

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
Originally Posted by ezak
No, I would not have said this when the agent just asked me NOT to take a quick look, when I might need a favor from the same agent in a few minutes to get a nicer car.
Did you get a nicer car than what was on the "verbal" list?
Old Feb 17, 2019, 6:47 pm

Picked up Saturday afternoon. There was a single car on the Emerald line and about a half-dozen on the Exec line.

Exec line had:
- 2018 Ford Explorer Limited
- 2019 Ford Fusion SE
- VW Beetle Convertible
- 2x 2019 Subaru Forester
- Acura TLX

I had a luxury reservation and was offered a Cadillac XTS (2019 and 2018) or a Range Rover Evoque. I wanted to take the Evoque, but was trying to determine if I could fit 3 large suitcases in the back. There was a larger Range Rover Velar parked next to the Evoque and the agent mentioned it’d be an upcharge.

I figured I’d be able to squeeze into the Evoque, but the agent came back with the key to the Velar and said go ahead and take it. My rentals are booked as Luxury and are for less than a day, so I think that factors into getting these very nice upgrades.
ginmqi likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.