FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   National | Emerald Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/national-emerald-club-424/)
-   -   Cars at HNL (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/national-emerald-club/748173-cars-hnl.html)

AC521 Aug 16, 2008 2:38 am

After lurking on FT for awhile, I've decided to try and contribute.

Got to Oahu a few days ago and rented from National at HNL. We walked across the street from baggage claim to the rental car lot. We were the only people at the canopy at the time and the bus dropped off two families as we were choosing our car.

I think the car options at the time was a Sebring convertible, Mustang convertible, G6 sedan, CTS, STS (it was either an STS or DTS), Impala and a few other domestic cars. The woman working the canopy pretty much told me to pick any car I wanted in their "lot". The lot was pretty small, I think maybe 30 cars. We choose the Mustang convertible and is pleased so far. It only had 800 miles when we took it!

leroix Aug 19, 2008 5:25 pm

I rented for 8 days back in June from the HNL mini-isle. I was not impressed with the selection of cars... there were a ton of boring Malibu's and not much else (well, as I was walking up to the desk, the person in front of me took the lone Grand Prix GXP :mad: )-- I had about an hour to kill waiting for a friend to arrive, so I asked if there was anything else hiding that might be a bit sportier-- I ended up with a G6 GT sedan, which was a step above the Malibu's in the lot, but still no prize-- At least it had a decent stereo, some pickup, and leather seats; they brought it out soaking wet from being washed-- it looked nice, but when it dried off, there were lots of scratches and what looked like hail damage... I was afraid they might accuse me of the damage, but there were no issues with the return ^

FlyinHawaiian Jan 17, 2009 7:53 am

I arrived in HNL last night around 9:45 p.m. I had reserved a compact; available on the lot were a few Aura, Malibu, and Impalas. I picked an Impala LZ with the 3.9L V-6 and leather interior. Prety decent upgrade, if you ask me.

dgreen12 Jan 25, 2009 9:58 pm

January 18 Inventory at 1:45 pm: Three cars in the EA

Sebring hardtop convertible, two Malibus.

Picked the convertible. Luggage sat in the back seat heading to the hotel and back to the airport.

Mary2e Apr 7, 2009 6:25 pm

Miserable selection last week in their 'aisle' if that's what you want to call it.

They have about 8 parking spots where they put their 'better' cars, as I was told, and was directed to select from it as executive. Except the people in front of me picked from the same group of cars with just plain old emerald aisle.

At 7pm, with a parking lot full of cars, my choices were either PT Cruisers or Impalas. I asked if I could take a convertible and was told the upcharge was $35.99 per day :eek:.

I selected the Impala and it had 20k miles on it and shimmied starting at about 30 mph. I thought the tires might be bald, but they weren't. Had I actually been planning on driving around much it would have been exchanged. If this was one of their better cars I guess I was fortunate.

If you can avoid National in HNL, I would. I've had much better luck with Avis and Budget and only went with National because my corporate rate was so much better.

FlyinHawaiian Apr 8, 2009 10:13 am

Hope you didn't get the Impala I had rented, Mary. I took it off-roading by Ka`ena Point and may have taken the wheels out of alignment a bit... :p

Mary2e Apr 8, 2009 10:34 am

:) When I returned it I told the person about the shimmie. The site manager just happened to be around and she told him to take it out of service and have it checked out.

Hopefully, the car you wrecked will be fixed :D

partsman_ba Apr 8, 2009 11:49 pm

Master, It Is Alive!!!

Wow, this thread is a blast from the past! Thanks for the memories of a great Hawaiian Christmas and New Year's. BTW, when I was there back in January '08 the only cars on EA were Malibus.

bajong May 17, 2009 12:24 am

I rent cars quite a bit in HNL, and the agent at the Emerald desk gave me a couple of $25 off coupons to use for future rentals. She said they give them to "some" of their loyal customers. This was great as I've used both coupons for rentals in May and June :).

inlanikai May 18, 2009 10:36 am

Originally Posted by bajong (Post 11761023)
I rent cars quite a bit in HNL, and the agent at the Emerald desk gave me a couple of $25 off coupons to use for future rentals. She said they give them to "some" of their loyal customers. This was great as I've used both coupons for rentals in May and June :).

Hmmmm..... I guess 7 rental-weeks a year for the past 6 years or so doesn't make me "loyal". :(

I rented the Sonata I noticed for the first time last month. Hope they have them again. We liked it much more than the GM cars that usually grace the "aisle". All in all, the HNL operation is not bad, IMO. But sometimes the pickings can be a bit thin.

FlyinHawaiian Jun 14, 2009 12:43 pm

We arrived on a Saturday afternoon around 5 p.m. The EA was mostly ugly Chevy HHR with a Ford Fusion, a Hyundai Elantra and a few Hyundai Sonatas. We picked one of the Sonatas and are happy with it. It was a nice upgrade from the Compact Class I had reserved.

newfbc Jun 14, 2009 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian (Post 11906214)
We arrived on a Saturday afternoon around 5 p.m. The EA was mostly ugly Chevy HHR with a Ford Fusion, a Hyundai Elantra and a few Hyundai Sonatas. We picked one of the Sonatas and are happy with it. It was a nice upgrade from the Compact Class I had reserved.

How did you end up picking from EA with a Compact reservation?

Ron.

FlyinHawaiian Jun 15, 2009 9:08 am

I've rented compacts from National in HNL the past three visits and have always been given upgrades to EA-level cars. Since HNL (and the Waikiki location) are both Emerald Counter locations, the agents there seem to hold back the limited supply of compact cars for non-Emerald Club members. YMMV.

PHX_SOUS Nov 8, 2009 10:19 pm

What does HNL have for Luxury rentals? I am heading there next week and am trying to decide whether to use free days for a luxury or 12Free for a Fullsize.

With the Chrysler 300 being offered as a Luxury lately I am a bit scared.

Any info is appreciated!

qs933 Nov 26, 2009 12:43 am

Originally Posted by PHX_SOUS (Post 12790830)
What does HNL have for Luxury rentals

This is too late for your trip, but I rented twice from the Honolulu Airport location over the last week and a half and they had at least one CTS and several 300s parked in the "better car" area.

I'm just a plain old Emerald Club member, so I got to choose from a Malibu 1LT, Impala 1LT, 2010 Fusion, and a lone Camry on one day and an Altima on another on the quasi-Aisle.

I had a full-size reserved on both days and got the only Impala on the lot on the second rental. I was told the other "full size" choice was the Dodge Avenger -- I'm guessing the canopy attendant mixed it up with the Charger?