Cars at HNL

Old Mar 18, 2016, 7:45 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by qs933
If you are an Exec, you should book a full-size vehicle. You'll be charged the mid-size (ICAR/SCAR) rate. This will allow you to pick from the Executive section.
You need to be careful about this. Many locations charge an Exec the full-size price (more than the mid-size price) if a full-size car is reserved. You should reserve a mid-size car since both mid-size and full-size reservations allow an Exec the ability to choose from the Executive area but the mid-size will cost less at many locations.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 5:04 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
Hi all, I have a question on the rental location -- sounds like it's in the parking garage now, so is it walkable from baggage claim (if arriving on AA)?

I'm traveling with my mother who will require wheelchair assistance on arrival, so wondering if I'll need to board a shuttle and have her wait at baggage claim, or if I can wheel her over all the way to the location...

Thanks!
Old Mar 30, 2016, 5:17 pm

Programs: National Exec, HA Pualani Gold
Originally Posted by SpeedRicer
Hi all, I have a question on the rental location -- sounds like it's in the parking garage now, so is it walkable from baggage claim (if arriving on AA)?
I'm not sure which baggage claim area AA uses, but in terms of walking distance, the new location in the parking garage is only a little closer than before.

Here's the terminal map

I walk from the inter-island terminal, which is further away from the mainland and international terminal (D - H on the map). Takes me about 10-15 minutes. However, I haven't done it with a bunch of luggage or pushing a wheelchair.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 2:23 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by qs933
I'm not sure which baggage claim area AA uses, but in terms of walking distance, the new location in the parking garage is only a little closer than before.

Here's the terminal map

I walk from the inter-island terminal, which is further away from the mainland and international terminal (D - H on the map). Takes me about 10-15 minutes. However, I haven't done it with a bunch of luggage or pushing a wheelchair.
Thanks qs933! Looks like American typically has bags arriving at baggage claim F, which looks to be close-ish to the skybridge for the garage? According to the National website, we may be able to walk across the skybridge to get to the Emerald/Executive aisles, which would work out great if that's the case.... ^

Last edited by SpeedRicer; Apr 6, 2016 at 3:32 am
Old Apr 9, 2016, 12:18 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Thanks qs933! Looks like American typically has bags arriving at baggage claim F, which looks to be close-ish to the skybridge for the garage? According to the National website, we may be able to walk across the skybridge to get to the Emerald/Executive aisles, which would work out great if that's the case.... ^
Yes, you can use the Skybridge. Or if you prefer, just walk across the street at grond level to the elevators in the garage and go straight up.

Sadly, no Charger/Challengers for me last week. Will try again next week as I'm back again. I chose a Jeep Compass last week just to try it out. Never again - what a pig on gas and, while comfortable, not very peppy. In fact, quite sluggish.

But great service as I had 2 separate reservtions booked (3 days using 1-2-free and 2 days using 2 other free days). Not only were they able to combine the reservations so I didn't have to go back to return/re-rent, but the second res was for a compact and they didn't bat an eye about me having a full size from the first res.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 4:20 pm

You should be able to walk across the skybridge -- takes you straight to the the Emerald booth. That'll probably be better if you're pushing a wheelchair -- you can take your time vs. trying to hurry across the street in the crosswalk before the pedestrian countdown timer expires.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 11:47 pm

Programs: Executive Elite
Anyone seen what they are offering for Premium (PCAR) recently? I'm going to Hawaii for the first time in June and have a PCAR reservation for 10 days. Would love to get a MKZ or Q50 as others have mentioned previously. Any tips on how to get one? I'm Executive Elite if that helps. I would have reserved Luxury but I used a couple free days and it wouldn't allow me to.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 1:40 am

Originally Posted by wooward
Anyone seen what they are offering for Premium (PCAR) recently?
It's really luck of the draw. I've been offered a Subaru Legacy on a Premium reservation. On other visits, I was offered a Q50 and an MKZ. If I had to bet, my money would be on a 300 or 300C.

No real tips other than to ask nicely. The staff is generally accommodating, but there are limits.
Old May 1, 2016, 11:20 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by wooward
Anyone seen what they are offering for Premium (PCAR) recently?
It's total hit and miss. I've gotten everything from a Nissan Maxima to a Camaro to a Mercedes C250. Havent been able to figure out the logic there yet. I think it's really whatever they have at the moment.
Old May 5, 2016, 6:57 pm

Picked up a 1-day rental at HNL yesterday.

In the Emerald stalls:
[most of the stalls were empty when I got there; they were starting to restock it when I left]
- Dodge Charger SE
- Nissan Altima S
- Chevrolet Malibu Limited LT & LTZ
- Volvo S60 (seemed odd for it to be here)
- Jeep Compass (several)

In the Exec stalls:
- Nissan Rogue
- Subaru Forrester
- Jeep Compass
- Jeep Cherokee Limited
- Dodge Journey
- Hyundai Tuscon
- Chevrolet Impala LT & LTZ
- Chevrolet Camaro (2015)

With my Premium reservation I was offered my choice of a Taurus, a 300C, or the Impalas in Exec. Having never driven the current-gen Impala, I took the Impala LTZ. It was a 2016 with 3K miles. My first time driving a car with safety features such as Lane Departure Warning and Frontal Collision Warning, neither of which I really tested (fortunately). Blind spot monitoring was good to have.
Old May 12, 2016, 9:04 pm

Picked up early this morning (Thursday). The booth on the 4th floor opens at around 6:30am. Unfortunately, the 1st floor counter has a limited set of vehicles available.

I had a PCAR reservation and was offered a Jeep Patriot or Fiat 500X (CFAR) -- that was the best they had at the counter, as all the other keys were at the booth. The other option was to wait 45 minutes for the booth to open.

I asked for any other options, at which point the manager came out from the back and offered to take me to the 4th floor to find a vehicle.

In the Emerald stalls:
- Hyundai Sonata (multiple)
- Nissan Altima S (2015 and 2016)
- Chrysler 200C (2015)
- Dodge Charger R/T (HEMI)
- Volvo V60 T5
- Honda Accord LX (2x, both 2016s, still PCARs)
- Chevrolet Malibu Limited LT
- Chevrolet Impala 2LT

In the Executive stalls:
- Nissan Rogue (2x, base models)
- Jeep Patriot
- Chrysler 300C
- Subaru Forrester
- Subaru Legacy (2016, still PCAR)
- Honda CRV LX (2x)
- Honda CRV EX (first time I've seen a higher-trim Honda)

On the side, where they typically keep the Emerald Reserve vehicles, there was another 300C and a 2016 Buick Lacrosse.

Instead, the manager offered me anything in Emerald or Exec, pointing out the 300C, the Impala, and the Accords as PCARs. Was very tempted to take the Charger with the HEMI, but I took the 2016 Volvo V60 (GXAR) instead. Nice car, though a little on the small side. I would have expected to see it on the Exec side, but this is the second smaller Volvo I've seen on the Emerald side.

Last edited by qs933; May 12, 2016 at 9:10 pm
Old Aug 31, 2016, 11:52 pm

I'm sorry, a little confused. But why book higher than mid-size if either way you can choose from the cars in the emerald and exec spots- are some "off limits?" (I'm a em exec). Never booked at HNL before not sure how it works.

Thanks!
Old Sep 1, 2016, 12:11 am

Originally Posted by Dm3k1
I'm sorry, a little confused. But why book higher than mid-size if either way you can choose from the cars in the emerald and exec spots- are some "off limits?" (I'm a em exec). Never booked at HNL before not sure how it works.
If you're Exec, shouldn't be any different from any other Emerald Booth location. I usually book a full size (paying the ICAR rate) or a premium (paying the FCAR rate). I guess I could book an ICAR or SCAR, but when I've tried it, I haven't seen any difference in the rate vs. booking a full size.

With a full size reservation, I've been able to choose from either the emerald or exec slots. With a premium reservation, I've been able to choose from the premium cars they hold to the side of the booth (not in Emerald or exec), or any car in the Emerald or Exec stalls.

The only advantage I can see of a premium reservation is that it means you can ask for (and expect) a premium vehicle. If you book a midsize or full size car, it's up to the luck of the aisle -- if there are no premium cars parked there, you are out of luck (unless you ask nicely and the agent is willing).

For example: I picked up a 1-day rental on Tuesday at HNL. I booked a premium.

In the Emerald Aisle section:
- multiple Jeep Patriots
- multiple Jeep Compasses
- 2x Altima S
- 1x Camry LE

In the Exec section:
- 2x Jeep Cherokee Limited
- Nissan Rogue S
- 2017 Ford Escape
- 1x Dodge Challenger
- 1x Chevy Camaro
- 2x Jeep Wrangler 4dr
- 1x Jeep Compass
- 2016 Nissan Maxima S

With my premium reservation, they offered a Ford Taurus Limited parked to the side of the booth. I was also offered the Maxima in the Exec section. I wanted to drive a the redesigned Maxima, so that's what I took.

Yes, I probably could have saved a couple of bucks with a full-size (or mid size) reservation since I picked from the Exec section, but I haven't really worried about it.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 5:21 pm

Hello,
I am coming to Hawaii from Australia in December 2016. I am traveling in a party of 13 so we have reserved 2 Minivans. Does anyone know what minivans are currently in the fleet?

Also we will also be renting a premium car for an 2 days from the same location. Does being an emerald club member entitle me to choose my car from the national app?

Thanks
Old Sep 6, 2016, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by Ari Orfanidis
Hello,
I am coming to Hawaii from Australia in December 2016. I am traveling in a party of 13 so we have reserved 2 Minivans. Does anyone know what minivans are currently in the fleet?

Also we will also be renting a premium car for an 2 days from the same location. Does being an emerald club member entitle me to choose my car from the national app?
For minivans: I've seen Grand Caravans and the new Chrysler Pacifica.

For the premium car reservation: I don't know if it was something particular about my last reservation (which was for a premium car), but Virtual Aisle was not available from the app. Probably for the better -- the last time I tried it at HNL (with an aisle reservation), there was a single Altima available from the app.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.