Cars at HNL

Old Jun 13, 2015, 3:04 am

Programs: National Exec, HA Pualani Gold
Originally Posted by trout11
Hi Everyone,
Quick question. Since this isn't a true Emerald Aisle location, how is this handled for non Exec folks here at HNL?
If you are an Emerald Club member and you book an Intermediate, you'll be dropped off in front of the booth in the lot behind the office. You'll be asked to choose from the numbered stalls (1 to 7, if I remember correctly) to the right of the Exec stalls (these are numbered X1, X2, etc).

Your level of service should show Booth when you make the reservation.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 11:28 am

Thanks qs933,

All I see on the reservation is:

Directions to Location:
Upon arrival, please proceed to the National Car Rental booth.

Also, I just went back to the reservation and if I do a modify on car type I now get Midsize, Standard and then Full size. I believe I only need Midsize to get sent to the booth, correct?

Last edited by trout11; Jun 16, 2015 at 12:55 pm Reason: name
Old Jun 18, 2015, 8:50 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum 1MM, Marriott LT Platinum, National Executive Club
Did anyone notice what kind of premium vehicles they had? I'm exec, but didn't want to chance a small vehicle in the aisle given the number of people I have and luggage so I reserved a premium.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 12:39 am

Originally Posted by trout11
Directions to Location:
Upon arrival, please proceed to the National Car Rental booth.
That should be it, though I think any Emerald Reserve (e.g. if you reserved a minivan) gets handled at the booth if you're an Emerald Club member.

Midsize gets your choice of stalls 1 - 7:

Did anyone notice what kind of premium vehicles they had?
Unfortunately, not many, at least the last time I was there. If the key thing for you is a large(r) vehicle, you should be fine -- the Chrysler 300 is often their go-to Emerald Reserve Premium car. They usually stick their Maximas and Accords in the Exec stalls. I've also seen a '15 Subaru Legacy tagged as a Premium.

As I noted in an earlier post, I was able to get an Infiniti Q50 on my last Premium reservation; however, if you're looking for passenger and luggage space, I wouldn't recommend it. We had 3 suitcases and 1 had to reside in the backseat with two passengers back there.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 11:56 pm

Picked up early in the morning on Saturday, before the booth opened. I had a full size (Exec) reservation.

Took a look at the lot before I went to the counter. The Exec area was mostly small SUVs with just a single sedan:

- 1x Honda Accord LX
- 1x Honda CR-V LX (2014)
- 4x Ford Escape
- 1x Hyundai Tucson
- 2x Jeep Cherokee
- 1x Subaru Forrester

In the Emerald stalls, a typical selection of FCARs:
- 2x Hyundai Sonata
- 2x Nissan Altima
- 1x Chevrolet Malibu LTZ

I initially took the Honda CR-V, but found a serious scrape on the rear passenger door (really helps to use your cell phone "flashlight" as I wouldn't have seen it otherwise in the darkness and with the rain on the vehicle). I also realized that the cargo area might not fit 3 large suitcases (the lack of privacy glass or a cargo cover also didn't help).

Went back inside and exchanged it for a Sonata, mainly because I hadn't driven the redesigned 2015 model. I was impressed with how solid it felt. Too bad they don't sprinkle in a few of the higher trim levels for rental fleets, like with Chevy and Ford.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 6:23 am

Programs: LH HON,AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Diamond, and a few more
National is now located in the parking garage on the 3rd floor. I had booked a Luxury vehicle and choices were BMW 3 series, Cadillac XTS, Volvo XC 60, and BMX X5.The employee mentioned they just got most of these cars in and will be getting Tesla's shortly. A big change in selection in the Luxury department usually options were Infiniti or Cadillac. I ended up taking the X5 nicely equipped with NAV System.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 5:40 pm

Picked up a 1-day rental. National is on the 4th floor of the parking garage. Emerald Club members can go straight to the booth on the 4th floor.

There were some interesting picks on both Emerald and Exec:

Emerald:
- 2016 Altima 3.5 SL (first time I've seen anything other than an S)
- 2016 Charger R/T
- Several 2016 Altima S
- Several Malibu Limiteds

Exec:
- 2016 300C (first time I've seen a C at HNL)
- Couple of Challengers
- 2016 Subaru Legacy (still a PCAR )
- Couple of Jeep Compasses & a Patriot
- Couple of Subaru Forresters
- Nissan Rogue

In the Premier section, there were:
- 2016 Volvo XC60
- 2014 Mercedes Benz ML (SUV)
- 2014 Jaguar XF

Next to the VIP stalls were vehicles held for specific reservations. I saw another Volvo XC60, a 300C, a Grand Caravan, an Impala, and an Acadia.

I had a Standard SUV reservation. The Acadia was for my reservation -- it was a 2016 SLT1 model. I'm glad I did a walk around before driving off, however, as there was a huge scrape and paint transfer on the bumper extending to the right front fender.

I went back to the booth and the agent brought his supervisor to inspect it. The agent thought it was pretty major; the supervisor said as long as it's in the computer, it'll be OK when I return it (which was my main issue). They were both willing to assign me another vehicle -- except they didn't have any other standard or better SUVs immediately available (the Volvos were apparently reserved).

I was OK with the Acadia as long as I had the damage noted. The supervisor then went to a bunch of keys and said he was going to find something else. About 5 minutes later, he brought up a Grand Cherokee Limited with 1,000 miles on it. I didn't need to seat 7, so it was a perfect substitute.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 4:11 pm

Picked up early this morning (Sunday).

Emerald:
- Your choice of Malibu Limiteds -- 2015 and 2016, LT & LTZ
- 2016 Impala LTZ
- Hyundai Sonata

Exec:
- Your choice of Subaru Forrester
- 2x 2016 Hyundai Tucsons
- 2016 Impala LT

Premier:
- 2016 Cadillac XTS (there was also a 2016 ATS parked several stalls away)

I had a Premium reservation and was given a choice of a 2016 300C or a Subaru Legacy that were being held for Premium reservations. Pretty easy decision. I'm guessing I could've asked for either of the Impalas (PXAR) on the aisles too.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 6:23 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
I have a res for a compact here in a couple of weeks. I've just also reserved a mid-size after reading this thread. I generally prefer a compact just for the gas mileage but saw some nice options as I was reading through. So which should I keep? My res doesn't say what class (Icar? etc) I have so what is the code for mid-size? And that's all I need (I am Executive) to select from the Exec Aisle correct?
Old Mar 16, 2016, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by Finkface
I have a res for a compact here in a couple of weeks. I've just also reserved a mid-size after reading this thread. I generally prefer a compact just for the gas mileage but saw some nice options as I was reading through. So which should I keep? My res doesn't say what class (Icar? etc) I have so what is the code for mid-size? And that's all I need (I am Executive) to select from the Exec Aisle correct?
If you are an Exec, you should book a full-size vehicle. You'll be charged the mid-size (ICAR/SCAR) rate. This will allow you to pick from the Executive section.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 10:24 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by qs933
If you are an Exec, you should book a full-size vehicle. You'll be charged the mid-size (ICAR/SCAR) rate. This will allow you to pick from the Executive section.
Got it, thanks. I did read how it will auto charge for the mid size rate once you click through to the final page, which it did. I don't really want a full size, just something cool. Thanks for the help.

What is the code for a full size? It doesn't say on my res.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 10:31 pm

What is the code for a full size? It doesn't say on my res.
Full size is FCAR.

If you want to improve your odds of getting something cool, see how much more it is to book a Premium (PCAR). As an Exec, it'll be at the Full Size rate -- which sometimes, but not always -- is a few bucks more than reserving a Full Size.

The downside is that many coupons (e.g. Free weekend day) are Full Size and below, but that may be n/a if you're not using a coupon.

Last edited by qs933; Mar 16, 2016 at 10:47 pm
Old Mar 16, 2016, 10:38 pm

Full size is FCAR.

If you want maximum flexibility, see how much more it is to book a Premium (PCAR). As an Exec, it'll be at the Full Size rate -- which sometimes, but not always -- is a few bucks more than reserving a Full Size.

The downside is that many coupons (e.g. Free weekend day) are Full Size and below, but that may be n/a if you're not using a coupon.
Right you are again, Master Yoda. Much to learn, I have. It says coupon code not eligible when I try to change it to a PCAR. No matter, I'm happy with the thought of maybe getting a Charger or Challenger. Mr. Fink will be quite envious.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 10:48 pm

Right you are again, Master Yoda. Much to learn, I have. It says coupon code not eligible when I try to change it to a PCAR. No matter, I'm happy with the thought of maybe getting a Charger or Challenger. Mr. Fink will be quite envious.
I've been able to get a Lincoln MKZ and an Infiniti Q50 on a Premium reservation. With a Full Size reservation, it's usually a small SUV (e.g. Nissan Rogue, Jeep Patriot, Jeep Compass, Subaru Forrester, Ford Escape) or the occasional Premium (e.g. Chrysler 300, Honda Accord, Nissan Maxima, Chevy Impala). There is the occasional Challenger/Camaro/Mustang -- I've been tempted, but squeezing 4 adults into one of those coupes is a bad idea.

That being stated, there have been some interesting up-level trims on both Emerald and Exec recently -- Impala LTZ, Altima 3.5SL, Charger R/T with the Hemi. That'll just depend on your luck.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 11:00 pm

I've been able to get a Lincoln MKZ and an Infiniti Q50 on a Premium reservation. With a Full Size reservation, it's usually a small SUV (e.g. Nissan Rogue, Jeep Patriot, Jeep Compass, Subaru Forrester, Ford Escape) or the occasional Premium (e.g. Chrysler 300, Honda Accord, Nissan Maxima, Chevy Impala). There is the occasional Challenger/Camaro/Mustang -- I've been tempted, but squeezing 4 adults into one of those coupes is a bad idea.

That being stated, there have been some interesting up-level trims on both Emerald and Exec recently -- Impala LTZ, Altima 3.5SL, Charger R/T with the Hemi. That'll just depend on your luck.
Well fingers crossed. I'm a girl, but I like cars and a Charger or better yet, a Challenger sounds like it would be pretty fun. As long as my SUP will fit in the trunk (it's an inflatable). Thanks for the help.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.