Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at OGG

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2019, 3:37 pm

I booked a convertible through Costco (Alamo) for $350. I'm Executive Elite with National and also have an Executive Area rental booked for $300. I'd much rather use National, as the lines at Alamo are usually ridiculous. What are the odds of getting a convertible in the Executive Area? Or asking for one if there are none currently there?
Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by toade
I booked a convertible through Costco (Alamo) for $350. I'm Executive Elite with National and also have an Executive Area rental booked for $300. I'd much rather use National, as the lines at Alamo are usually ridiculous. What are the odds of getting a convertible in the Executive Area? Or asking for one if there are none currently there?
Odds probably aren't zero, but they are low. I have rented from National at HNL, OGG, KOA, and ITO several times, and each time I was told that if I wanted a convertible I would have to reserve one. They were just too much in demand. The closest I got to a convertible from the aisle was at OGG where I got a jeep Wrangler hardtop and was able to remove the front part of the roof and stash it behind the backseat (where it rattled around quite annoyingly).
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 11:05 am

Programs: HHonorsDiamond
We came in on Friday night around 830pm. There was a Camaro convertible. We were first off the bus but our luggage wouldn’t fit so we couldn’t grab it..but the couple behind us got it next. It was gone that quick...we ended up with a Cadillac of some type and most everything else was typical. Nothing fancy. No wranglers are anything else. Just full size things like Impala.
Auto Enthusiast and ginmqi like this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by sargenet
We came in on Friday night around 830pm. There was a Camaro convertible. We were first off the bus but our luggage wouldn’t fit so we couldn’t grab it..but the couple behind us got it next. It was gone that quick...we ended up with a Cadillac of some type and most everything else was typical. Nothing fancy. No wranglers are anything else. Just full size things like Impala.
Indeed, the odds can vary wildly. Car selection changes by the minute as people roll in and out.

A couple of possible ways to increase your odds: If you don't mind waiting in the aisle, find a nice place to sit/relax, and see what they bring out from the wash/back and so you can snag it soon as you see it being driven into the lot. Given how generous the attendants are at this location, they may ask you if you need any help as you stand there and could even bring something out for you specifically.

Also, if you are there for a while, you can always come back next morning/day and try to switch out/exchange for another vehicle.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 11:15 pm

Programs: National Exec, HA Pualani Gold
Originally Posted by ginmqi
Indeed, the odds can vary wildly. Car selection changes by the minute as people roll in and out.
That’s definitely true. The selection can go from wild to mundane in minutes.

Personally, there’s so much to see and do on Maui that I wouldn’t spend more time than necessary at the rental car lot, but that’s just me.
ginmqi likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 12:38 pm

Yeah, it's just $60 in the end... I would just love to get it from National, and skip the stupid Alamo lines, which can take nearly an hour.

Trying to decide if I should try National first... and if they dont have any, move over to Alamo. Only downside here, is that if National doesn't have any, the line at Alamo will probably be even longer (than if I hustled to the bus and was one of the first there).

Hmmm. Decisions.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 1:23 am

Yeah, it's just $60 in the end... I would just love to get it from National, and skip the stupid Alamo lines, which can take nearly an hour.

Trying to decide if I should try National first... and if they dont have any, move over to Alamo. Only downside here, is that if National doesn't have any, the line at Alamo will probably be even longer (than if I hustled to the bus and was one of the first there).

Hmmm. Decisions.
i did this exact thing, only my backup reservation was for a full size suv at Alamo (through Costco). We left happy campers from National with a suburban ( on a standard suv res). But I agree that if you want a convertible your odds are really quite low getting one off the aisle.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by pickles1107

i did this exact thing, only my backup reservation was for a full size suv at Alamo (through Costco). We left happy campers from National with a suburban ( on a standard suv res). But I agree that if you want a convertible your odds are really quite low getting one off the aisle.
Made it to Maui, and everything worked out perfectly. As I mentioned, I had a backup with Alamo. Alamo and National share a shuttle, so when we got off the shuttle my wife got in the line (long) at Alamo, and I went straight to the National Aisle. There was a nice lady to meet me there, and she said I could pick anything from the two aisles. There was a nice Hyundai SUV, a Ford Escape, some sedans and a bunch of pickups. I asked if they had any convertibles available, and she asked what kind of convertible. I said any kind would do, and she said she could bring around a Camaro. Took all of two minutes. Very happy with the customer service at National!!!
ginmqi likes this.
Old May 13, 2019, 9:47 am

Emerald Aisle selection was small but I was able to get Mustang GT convertible. I noticed another Mustang convertible not sure if ti was GT and Honda Accord Touring. I saw 1 SUV which got picked up as I was checking out.
Old May 13, 2019, 10:21 am

Programs: Starwood/Hyatt/IHG-PLAT/Hilton-DIA
Chevy Tahoe from Executive Aisle

Got another tahoe from exec aisle last week
going rate was ~$600 for Tahoe for 5 day rental
only payed the full size rate of ~$230 out the door
Old May 31, 2019, 10:18 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Yikes. Arriving at the CRCF is goofy with the new trolly packed to the brim with tourists. (Minor benefit, the trolley is flat, so you just roll on, no steps like with shuttles)

As I approached National, I was accosted for assuming I could just walk up and pick any car. Rep wouldn't let me pass until I confirmed my name for his Exec list.

Car selection was abysmal.

2 Hyundai Tuscons
1 Nissan Rogue
2 Chevy Cameros (convertible)
1 Honda Accord
Some other nameless junk.

We took the Nissan
The convertible was interesting, but I needed a 4 door.
The accord was unique, but I wanted the SUV build

the rogue has Android Auto, and had 200 miles, so I am essentially the 2nd driver.

I actually enjoy Ford's on my rentals, I guess escapes and explorers aren't a Maui thing.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 8:43 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
After having a Rogue on a recent rental in COS (non-aisle, so no choice unless I wanted to make a stink), I would have picked any of the other vehicles you mentioned. I thought the Rogue was an embarrassment to Nissan--the very definition of a POS vehicle.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 3:43 pm

Programs: Whatever you have, I have too.
I love Maui and love to drive while on Maui. The traffic can be hideous, but that's true where I live, also (PHX). I'm used to it. Having a fun car to drive is essential to me, especially on vacation. This week I've been putting together a trip to Maui for early April, 2020, and I'm already stressing about the car rental. I have the flight segments confirmed, and the hotel accommodations reserved, and, now, as usual with me, I practically get the shingles when setting up the rental car. I'm Executive with National but their rates right now for my dates aren't the best in the west. We're arriving on April 3rd, which is kind of spring-breakish, so I'm expecting a crush of people when we arrive at the rental car lot. <sigh> The best car rental experience we ever had in HI was in Oct, 2001, just after 9/11. Tourism was way down, the lot was stuffed with unrented cars, and we got whatever we wanted. Pretty sure it's going to be a different story when we arrive in 2020, on a Friday afternoon, fairly close to Easter. I can already feel the hives starting.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 7:58 am

EA Car selection 6/10 2pm & 6/11 9am. Surprising variety on 6/10, but generally only one of each vehicle so when the trolley arrived a few people rushed the lot and grabbed anything interesting. I was looking for a midsize suv to carry four people + luggage, but small enough to enjoy the road to Hana. The other two members of our party had delayed flights and were arriving the next day. Employee offered for us to take something then (Hyundai Kona) and come back around 9-10am the next morning when the lot was full and pick something we liked better (Hyundai Tuscon). I thought this was pretty great on Nationals part.

6/10 2pm - Lot was packed
1 Hyundai Kona (My Pick)
1 Chevy Camero convertible
1 Minivan
1 Nissan Frontier
3-4 misc four door compacts

6/11 9am - Lot was packed
1 Hyundia Tuscons (My pick)
2-3 small suvs similar to Hyundai Kona
2 Chevy cameros (convertible)
2 four door jeeps
Variety of other unnamed vehicles.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 6:42 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Error in posting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.