Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

Why the <bleep> do they give you two keys?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why the <bleep> do they give you two keys?

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2007, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs down Why the <bleep> do they give you two keys?

Why the <bleep> do they give you two keys that you can't separate? AHHHHHH!!!
Old May 22, 2007, 8:50 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
The reason is simple. When the lease is up they go to auction. Dealers will be more likely to buy them with 2 keys and remotes. Keys these days are 100 to 500 bucks plus remotes if they arent integrated into the keys. National was to pay for those keys when the lease is up as well.

Used to work for Ford and right on the windshield at auction it will say how many keys and remotes the car has.

Plus it takes man hours to program the new ones and UAW work isnt free. It is 100 bucks an hour. So dealers will have to add at least 200 on to the car just for the car to have two keys.

We had the come up over in the Hertz forum as well if you would like some more answers.
Old May 23, 2007, 1:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Yea, Hertz does the same crap. I always end up with 2 or 3 keys plus a remote that can't be seperated, so when I go out at night I have this huge bulge in one pocket unless I can find valet parking (just so I can ditch the keys)

HINT: Hertz and National... keep the spare keys locked up somewhere in the office, your customers will appreciate it.
Old May 23, 2007, 7:44 am

They cant store them somewhere. How many cars do these companies have? They are coming and going every day and going who knows where when people rent them.

Cars and keys would be everywhere around the US. And if they had a centralized location the shipping to send the keys to and fro would cast a lot of money and people and computers to keep up with them cost money too.

It is not a big enough deal to them or us really.
Old May 23, 2007, 8:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by DWilliamson5002
It is not a big enough deal to them or us really.
i hate it, also. when i go out on the weekend in jeans and a t shirt, i love having those two huge keys and the remote and the car rental plastic thing. its bigger than my cell phone.
Old May 23, 2007, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dvs7310
HINT: Hertz and National... keep the spare keys locked up somewhere in the office, your customers will appreciate it.
YES!!!

I've also received 3 keys before too!!!
Old May 23, 2007, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by rosspanics
YES!!!

I've also received 3 keys before too!!!
Yep valet keys are dumb. Still it will never happen. It is done for monetary reasons. They are will to make you mad over it not to have to pay the manufacturers back money on the lease for lost keys.

Just cut the thing if it bothers you guys that much and when you return say it broke or put it on a standard king of your own.

They wount say much...
Old May 23, 2007, 7:22 pm

Programs: ~IHG(p)/BW~Nat'l.Exec~ ~NW(SE)~ ~Cessna~ NASM.do-07 ~AAAF.do-05/06/07/08/09
[QUOTE=DWilliamson5002]They cant store them somewhere. .. would cast a lot of money and people and computers to keep up with them cost money too.

Think maybe it's safe to assume they have a way to keep track of all those vehicle titles ??

/.
Old May 23, 2007, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by CaveatEmpty

Think maybe it's safe to assume they have a way to keep track of all those vehicle titles ??
The manufacturers hold the titles. They are leased, not owned by the rental companies.
Old May 23, 2007, 7:37 pm

Wire-cutters solve that - though not so carry-on friendly!
Old May 25, 2007, 4:47 am

At some locations, I found that I will get one key. After having a flat tire once, I discovered the other key(s) were lying right next to the spare tire in the stowaway. I thought this was a good idea. At least this keeps the keys with the vehicle. Also, who knows what fury is brought upon one's self if you call the rental agency and tell them that you've misplaced all three keys!
Old May 25, 2007, 5:31 am

Programs: DL Gold, National Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by kayfabe
At some locations, I found that I will get one key. After having a flat tire once, I discovered the other key(s) were lying right next to the spare tire in the stowaway. I thought this was a good idea. At least this keeps the keys with the vehicle. Also, who knows what fury is brought upon one's self if you call the rental agency and tell them that you've misplaced all three keys!
Ive had a few Hertz vehicles where the spare keys are in the glove box with the owners manual. Not a bad place to put them imo....
Old May 25, 2007, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 2008 FT1 Fantasy Football Champion
Originally Posted by dvs7310
Yea, Hertz does the same crap. I always end up with 2 or 3 keys plus a remote that can't be seperated, so when I go out at night I have this huge bulge in one pocket unless I can find valet parking (just so I can ditch the keys)
Originally Posted by fly co to see the yanks
i hate it, also. when i go out on the weekend in jeans and a t shirt, i love having those two huge keys and the remote and the car rental plastic thing. its bigger than my cell phone.
You don't carry keys normally?

I don't find rental car key sets to be any larger than what I normally carry around.
Old May 25, 2007, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by nwaaok
Ive had a few Hertz vehicles where the spare keys are in the glove box with the owners manual. Not a bad place to put them imo....
Originally Posted by kayfabe
Hmmm. Rentals are marked with sticker bar codes and at least here in VA the year sticker of the license plate is orange. Stand out quite about it. Thieves know this an then break into it and they look in truck or in glove box and what do you know the key to the car.

It is gone just like that. It is a great idea isnt it. I am sure a legal battle will insue from you and the rental company to whose fault it is and then in the mean time you dont have a car...
Old May 27, 2007, 12:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by empedocles
You don't carry keys normally?

I don't find rental car key sets to be any larger than what I normally carry around.
Of course we all carry keys normally, but the majority of better cars now have an integrated key and remote... add a house key to this and you certainly don't have the bulk that 2-3 thick car keys, a remote, plus the big Hertz or National keychain. Unless I am wearing REALLY tight jeans, no one would ever see the buldge from my own keys in my pocket but I can wear cargo pants with the darn rental keys and they are still obvious. The only key rings that I've ever seen that would be so obvious in one's pocket are a school janitors.

I've really never thought about cutting them before. I think small wire cutters are ok for TSA... I'll check that out and take some next time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.