Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

Why the <bleep> do they give you two keys?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why the <bleep> do they give you two keys?

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2007, 9:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.4 MM Hertz Gold, National Executive Elite, Starwood Gold, Hyat Gold
A few months ago I rented from EWR and LOST my keys! They wanted $100 to get me new ones. Thankfully I found them before I went back to the AP.
Old May 31, 2007, 11:41 pm

Got a Nissan Maxima yesterday that has no keys at all. Just a key fob that you carry in your pocket and somehow the car knows to let the car start when the key fob is nearby.
Old Jun 2, 2007, 10:23 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, National Executive Elite, Avis First, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mfox
Got a Nissan Maxima yesterday that has no keys at all. Just a key fob that you carry in your pocket and somehow the car knows to let the car start when the key fob is nearby.
That is sweet. Hope it is a trend with the new cars.
Old Jun 4, 2007, 12:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by driftings
Wire-cutters solve that - though not so carry-on friendly!
bingo.
Old Jun 4, 2007, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by DWilliamson5002
Plus it takes man hours to program the new ones and UAW work isnt free. It is 100 bucks an hour. So dealers will have to add at least 200 on to the car just for the car to have two keys.
It doesn't take hours to program the keys. The most amount of time would be 15 minutes, and that's generally when you're erasing the old transponder keys out, and entering new ones. And there are many more service providers than a dealer that can add or make a keys to these vehicles.

If they were smart, they'd have one full set of keys at a main location that they would FedEx out to the location. However, they're not that smart.
Old Jun 4, 2007, 12:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by driftings
Wire-cutters solve that - though not so carry-on friendly!
Just tell the TSA that you have really thick toenails.
Old Jun 10, 2007, 2:11 pm

Programs: delta pm, aa exp, hilton diamond
I just had this happen this week in Norfolk. Two keys banded together is a real pain. Where do they think a man is going to carry this large set of keys. If they need to keep the extra key with the car then do what Hertz does hide it in the car.

Giving a person two keys with the remotes built into the key is very inconvenient if you normally carry your keys in your pockets. Is this reverse sexual discrimination do all need to carry a hand bag?
Old Dec 30, 2015, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
Not much has changed with the "too many keys" issue since 2007...but I had a pleasant experience at the HOU National location this week. I got a 2016 Chevy Malibu with only one key fob. Plus, the key tag with the barcode sticker/VIN is made of a lighter plastic than usual, with a standard metal chain instead of the usual thick wire chain.

I don't know if this is a one-off or a companywide change, but my pockets are much less bulky with only the one key and the smaller key tag!
Old Dec 30, 2015, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by wahooflyer
Not much has changed with the "too many keys" issue since 2007...but I had a pleasant experience at the HOU National location this week. I got a 2016 Chevy Malibu with only one key fob. Plus, the key tag with the barcode sticker/VIN is made of a lighter plastic than usual, with a standard metal chain instead of the usual thick wire chain.

I don't know if this is a one-off or a companywide change, but my pockets are much less bulky with only the one key and the smaller key tag!
I've had a couple rentals with a flexible plastic tag, but more often than not I still get the bulky wad of keys that hardly fits in my pocket. Gets ridiculous on some of them - two keys, two remotes, valet key and plastic ID tag. Due to the shape none of the keys will fit flush against the next so there are keys sticking out 120-degrees around the keyring at their most compressed position.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 2:04 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)

I just cut the wire chain and stick the keys on a normal ring/chain when I return it. Is that bad?
Old Dec 30, 2015, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by fooko2002
That is sweet. Hope it is a trend with the new cars.
Drove a few rentals over the past year including the Mini Cooper with same arrangement.

Only thing is since you don't need a key to start the vehicle it can be easy to lay it aside in the car and forget.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by BugsyPal
Drove a few rentals over the past year including the Mini Cooper with same arrangement.

Only thing is since you don't need a key to start the vehicle it can be easy to lay it aside in the car and forget.
I've found that if you leave a key fob inside the car and walk away, the car tends to not let you forget. At least, my own personal car starts beeping at me to remind me to come get my key.

Also, the doors won't lock with a key fob inside.

But +1 to the new flexible barcode tags on the keychains recently. I've noticed that on my last 3-4 rentals from ATL and PHL.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by gooselee
I've found that if you leave a key fob inside the car and walk away, the car tends to not let you forget. At least, my own personal car starts beeping at me to remind me to come get my key.

Also, the doors won't lock with a key fob inside.

But +1 to the new flexible barcode tags on the keychains recently. I've noticed that on my last 3-4 rentals from ATL and PHL.
GD modern cars beep at you for everything when all you want to do is get out of the thing.

Leaving lights on

Key in ignition or fob in vehicle

Leaving this or that system on

Admit it is all good in the long run but after awhile it amounts to sensory overload and you just start ignoring.

Am also not a fan of all electronic entry and ignition systems as any scrip kiddie with malicious intent can access and start your vehicle.

About a year or so ago person or persons were going around Westchester, NY area and taking luxury and high end vehicles. One guy had moved three or four (cannot remember) late model BMW's out into his driveway in order to clean the garage. Next morning they were all gone.... Local LE told the news that it was happening all over; someone had hacked up a key fob and way to start ignition.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 5:22 am

Had exactly this on an SRX I rented recently. Much nicer.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 12:48 pm

Had one recently where the key had a removable part (keyless start with a removeable key in the fob) where they'd wired the wire through both the fob and the removable key, and there were two keys with it. Made that sucker far more bulky than normal.

Oddly, I've been getting a lot more cars (even quite new ones) with only one key.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.