National at Reno Airport

Old May 7, 2007, 11:19 am
Original Poster

National at Reno Airport

I read that Reno does not offer Emerald Aisle service, but they do have a booth in the lot for Emerald Club members.

Anyone have experience using this booth that can shed some light on things? I have only reserved a compact car as it was much cheaper and have no problem driving it.... just wondering how the process works at a non-Emerald Aisle location.....

Thanks.

duds
Old May 7, 2007, 5:32 pm

Programs: AA EXPlt, SPG Plt, Nat EE
Worst location I've ever been to. Last time i was there i was sent back inside 3 times to use a "coupon". The coupon was a $15 off discount FROM THE EMERALD CLUE WEBSITE! No choice of car and rarely (only 1 out of 6 times in 2 years) did they actually let me rent a fullsize.

It's almost worth flying into SFO and driving round trip when there's no chance of snow in the pass.
Old May 7, 2007, 11:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM *G
National in Reno is quite unique (not a good thing) for Emerald Aisle members. You can still walk directly to car rental garage and there is a row of cars with EA signage. None of the keys are on the doors of the vehicles.

There is a kiosk-type stand usually manned by two attendants (one for returning vehicles and one for check-outs) where you have to check in for the keys due to security reasons (no agreement checks when leaving the garage). Be prepared to wait in line for the keys since they confirm reservations using a printout instead of a computer.

Poor selection of vehicles - Never seen SUVs in EA even though they have them available on the lot. Mostly mid-size cars (lots of Hyundai Sonatas for some reason) with the Grand Prix usually being the largest full-size vehicle.

Hope this helps.
Old May 8, 2007, 3:22 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
Originally Posted by dudspizza
I read that Reno does not offer Emerald Aisle service, but they do have a booth in the lot for Emerald Club members.

Anyone have experience using this booth that can shed some light on things? I have only reserved a compact car as it was much cheaper and have no problem driving it.... just wondering how the process works at a non-Emerald Aisle location.....

Thanks.

duds
I've used it many times. Because the pick-up area is pretty small in the garage, and all the vendors use it, they try to time the cars waiting there to your flight arrival time. This limits your choice, compared to other airports, since they make the selection for you. I've always had my 4WD (winter) waiting for me by the booth with the umbrella. In the summer, you can get a choice of the smaller cars, but not many.

I once refused a SUV because it was only 2WD, and they brought up a 4WD in about 10 minutes.

If you have any type of deal or coupon, you must use the counter first, but there is still an Emerald sign and lane on the right end of it. They will take you next, so have your card handy.

If it's a standard web reservation, or phone, go straight out from the luggage carousels, cross the walkway to the parking garage, and once in the garage (ground level) turn to your right. You'll see the big umbrella near the last aisle.

Drop off is as easy as other airports, but in Reno, all the cars enter from the same ramp into the garage. You just pull in, turn right, and go to the last aisle to park. An attendant is there to check you out with a handheld.
Old May 9, 2007, 11:02 am
Original Poster

I am using a National E-Coupon (no paper) that was emailed to me and a AA contract ID for triple miles. Do you think I still have to go to the counter as there is no paper coupon to present? I am all about saving some time, but don't want to have to walk back to the counter to finish things up.

Also, renting a compact this trip as there are only two of us. Will they hand me the keys for it or will I get a choice like I would with Emerald Reserve?

Thanks.

Duds
Old May 10, 2007, 3:56 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
Originally Posted by dudspizza
I am using a National E-Coupon (no paper) that was emailed to me and a AA contract ID for triple miles. Do you think I still have to go to the counter as there is no paper coupon to present? I am all about saving some time, but don't want to have to walk back to the counter to finish things up.

Also, renting a compact this trip as there are only two of us. Will they hand me the keys for it or will I get a choice like I would with Emerald Reserve?

Thanks.
Duds
Let me save you some walking and time. Print the E-Coupon and the contract ID for triple miles, and go to the counter. On my last trip, I went to the umbrella, the handheld said I needed a coupon, I pulled it out, and they told me to go back to the counter. All they do at the umbrella is punch in the vehicle vin on your contract, with the key number. They cannot change the rate or apply the coupon. Make sure you print your docs. These are young kids at the counter, and their job is to give you the highest rate.

I would ask at the umbrella "what are my choices in cars", before they start entering the numbers on the keys he/she picks up.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 1:12 pm

I'm going to be in Reno next month and was wondering whether anything has changed since this thread was last updated. Thanks.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 1:43 pm

any updates?
Old Oct 27, 2008, 5:50 pm

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
Wirelessly posted (FlyerTalk.com/wap is fun : Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Teleca Q7; Brew 3.1.5; U; en) 240X400 LGE VX9700)

not that i am aware of
Old Mar 10, 2010, 9:12 am

Just an update on the Reno location - I had a good experience here. You can bypass the counter with EA and go directly to the lot. Even though this location doesn't technically have an EA, there was a EA location outside with about 5 options to choose from - 2 Hyundai, a Dodge SUV, and 2 insanely large 4x4 trucks. We went with the SUV and were in and out very quickly. On the return, I was charged for gas and my rate was adjusted to a much higher weekly rate. While it was a pain to go in and get this resolved at the desk, it was an easy fix that apparently is very common there. And, my rate actually decreased 15% below my original reservation rate. I found all of the staff inside and outside to be extremely friendly and helpful.
Old May 16, 2010, 5:11 am

Programs: UA, bmi, AA, CO, DL, B6, AMEX, Hertz, Most Hotels
E-Discounts at RNO?

I can't seem to get any e-coupon (National or Entertainment) to work for my online reservation for next weekend.

Even though Reno is a listed "Last Minute Special" location, and I meet the T&Cs the midsize shows up at @$28/day versus the advertised $19ish.

Same with omitting that and using only the Entertainment coupons (linked directly from Entertainment.com site-not entering in codes)

Each one & I tried several, all minding the T&Cs and every time I get "Coupon Can Not Be Applied"

Any thoughts?
Old May 16, 2010, 5:44 am

Programs: National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis CC, Continental Onepass
Originally Posted by bk3day
I can't seem to get any e-coupon (National or Entertainment) to work for my online reservation for next weekend.

Even though Reno is a listed "Last Minute Special" location, and I meet the T&Cs the midsize shows up at @$28/day versus the advertised $19ish.

Same with omitting that and using only the Entertainment coupons (linked directly from Entertainment.com site-not entering in codes)

Each one & I tried several, all minding the T&Cs and every time I get "Coupon Can Not Be Applied"

Any thoughts?
I don't believe you can use coupons with last minute specials unless you use the free days earned through National.
Old May 16, 2010, 7:31 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by sanctified50
I don't believe you can use coupons with last minute specials unless you use the free days earned through National.
I've been able to use them in the past - unless they changed very recently.
Old May 16, 2010, 7:23 pm

Programs: UA, bmi, AA, CO, DL, B6, AMEX, Hertz, Most Hotels
On ths rental I did not use coupons together w/Last Minute Rates

Using Last Minutes Rates link by itself brngs up a highr daily rate that listed on the promo cor a mid size at RNO

Separately, I tried another res just using Entertainment coupons. Those failed to work despite adhering to T&Cs

fwiw, i've used Last Minute Rates & coupon codes together on many previous rentals...elsewhere
Old May 16, 2010, 9:51 pm

Programs: AC SE, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
Originally Posted by bk3day
On ths rental I did not use coupons together w/Last Minute Rates

Using Last Minutes Rates link by itself brngs up a highr daily rate that listed on the promo cor a mid size at RNO

Separately, I tried another res just using Entertainment coupons. Those failed to work despite adhering to T&Cs

fwiw, i've used Last Minute Rates & coupon codes together on many previous rentals...elsewhere
Both items are capacity controlled.. if it's a busy weekend all last minute specials are gone.. and you can't use any coupons.. except banked free days in your account.

Ron.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.