Cars at SFO

Old Jul 19, 2010, 1:56 pm

Programs: Ozark Go-Getters Gold, Statler Star Silver, others from a variety of alternate timelines
Picking up Friday 7/16 at about 11:30 A.M., ES and EA were both pretty full, of mostly the usual-suspect American cars (Chargers, 300s, Impalas/Malibus). There were a couple of VW Beetles on the EA. No SUVs. I took a Buick Lucerne with about 6,000 miles on it -- and I swear, after 3 days of trying to park that boat, I'm going to pick something smaller and more maneuverable next time.

Since I don't think it's been mentioned in this thread, a tip for first-time EA/ES renters at SFO (as I was): when you get off the AirTrain, turn left and go toward the double doors at the end of the counter area, in order to proceed directly out to the National area in the garage. (The sign at the AirTrain exit points right, toward the National counter.)
Old Jul 19, 2010, 2:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by trainman74
...Since I don't think it's been mentioned in this thread, a tip for first-time EA/ES renters at SFO (as I was): when you get off the AirTrain, turn left and go toward the double doors at the end of the counter area, in order to proceed directly out to the National area in the garage. (The sign at the AirTrain exit points right, toward the National counter.)
Timing is everything - especially when there might only be one or two decent cars left when your train arrives...so, make sure you're sitting at the back of the last car, and when it pulls into the rental car center station, you're the first off in the direction of the National parking area...and be prepared to hustle so you're first out into the Aisle area.

I lost a coveted Prius once to a more nimble sprinter who ran ahead of me (and no, I did not try and trip them ).

An experienced Aisle/ES renter should already have the 'SCAN' mastered - which is the ability to look out at the Aisle/ES selection and immediately recognize the best car to take without having to wander around.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 2:29 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Since I don't think it's been mentioned in this thread, a tip for first-time EA/ES renters at SFO (as I was): when you get off the AirTrain, turn left and go toward the double doors at the end of the counter area, in order to proceed directly out to the National area in the garage. (The sign at the AirTrain exit points right, toward the National counter.)
Good tip - IIRC, the National counter used to be more toward the left end, but seems to have moved last fall sometime.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 1:03 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Since I don't think it's been mentioned in this thread, a tip for first-time EA/ES renters at SFO (as I was): when you get off the AirTrain, turn left and go toward the double doors at the end of the counter area, in order to proceed directly out to the National area in the garage.
I'll be- I've made EE via renting at SFO and never thought to do this! In fact, until now I never made the connection that the next aisle over from the returns lane is the edge of the ES aisle (or is it?).

In fact I was about to post- and maybe everyone knows this since I haven't seen it posted yet- but on returns you don't have to go downstairs, then back up on the other side to get back to the AirTrain (unlike what the signs tell you to do, for some reason)- just head back toward the counter area and pick up the AirTrain on the "arriving pax" side.

Funny thing is, had I looked harder I might have realized the OP's tip already!
Old Jul 21, 2010, 1:15 pm

Programs: Ozark Go-Getters Gold, Statler Star Silver, others from a variety of alternate timelines
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
In fact, until now I never made the connection that the next aisle over from the returns lane is the edge of the ES aisle (or is it?).
Yes, it is -- I noticed that when returning Sunday.

I assume the idea behind the "go down and back up" directions to board the AirTrain is an attempt to keep people desperate to pick up their rental cars from "conflicting" with people desperate to catch their flights.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 2:45 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by kennycrudup
In fact I was about to post- and maybe everyone knows this since I haven't seen it posted yet- but on returns you don't have to go downstairs, then back up on the other side to get back to the AirTrain (unlike what the signs tell you to do, for some reason)- just head back toward the counter area and pick up the AirTrain on the "arriving pax" side.
I've been hesitant to do this - just in case the arriving train is going "out of service" - especially since the train is automated, you could end up getting "stuck" on the train. I guess you would be ok if the "departing pax" doors open and other people get on also.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by peteropny
just in case the arriving train is going "out of service" - especially since the train is automated, you could end up getting "stuck" on the train.
IIRC, the AirTrain is on a loop and there's a seperate unloading depot for OOS trains. Besides with all the Int'l pax who might have the best English doing this might leave someone stranded by mistake fairly often.

I'm pretty sure I have seen trains come from after the "last stop" area, but I suspect they must use a "warm body" detector, 'cause there's nobody on them when they emerge from there.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 4:48 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
If a train is going out of service, there will be an announcement so you know not to board -- so pay attention!

I once had an employee tell me that I couldn't board from the "wrong" side but I did anyway. Been doing this for 2 years without a problem, great way to avoid the trek around.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 2:13 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Arrived on Saturday around 3:30pm. Lines inside for all agencies were super long -- lots of vacationers I suppose -- but the garage seemed plenty full of cars.

EA had the usual mixture of American cars -- chargers, malibus, impalas -- a few Kias and VW bugs -- but nothing at all exciting. I opted for the relatively new (7000 miles) Kia Optima with Sirrius but didn't feel there was much of a choice to be made. EA didn't look much better with the exception of a 300 and some newer malibus.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 7:47 am

Programs: HH Gold, FB, Hertz Gold+, Omni Platinum
Hi guys, does anyone know what Volvo C70 convertible they have at SFO?
New model (>2006) or previous edition?

this...
http://de.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?...20070922192843
or this one?
http://de.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?...20080712113114

Thanks!

dont think they could have this one
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Wh...t_IAA_2009.JPG

Last edited by Effekt; Aug 23, 2010 at 7:55 am
Old Aug 23, 2010, 7:52 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by Effekt
Hi guys, does anyone know what Volvo C70 convertible they have at SFO?
New model (from 2009) or an old one? thanks!
I have personally never seen a C70 convertible at National SFO -- although to be fair I haven't been looking for them. If you're just reserving a convertible, you will not be able to count on getting a Volvo.

If you did, I suspect it would be the old one, as the new C70 has only been on sale for a couple of months -- it was announced in 2009 but actually went on sale as a 2011 model.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 8:00 am

Programs: HH Gold, FB, Hertz Gold+, Omni Platinum
Thank you for your fast reply!
Well, I'm a bit surprised as well but I can upgrade for a Volvo C70 here in Germany (it seems only possible from National at SFO), I have reserved convertible at SFO but can upgrade for only 20 Euro more (for 27 days) so if they have a new one, why not...but it seems it will be (IF they have any) one from 2006.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 8:09 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Oh - I'm sure its the post-2006 one (but not the 2011) - I don't think National ever had any of the pre-2006 ones - I've seen some of the post-2006 ones around on various lots.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by dtremit
I have personally never seen a C70 convertible at National SFO
FWIW, I rented one in early December; it had ~13K mi on it and was in fairly torn-up shape.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 12:47 pm

Programs: After years in the desert now e50k
Rented a couple of days ago.

ES was full of town cars (not my style)
EA had a VW beetle and a Caravan. Beetle was snatched up.

I was about to pick a town car when a Camry and a new Taurus (would have liked to try that) pulled up and were immediately grabbed by two people who had just come in (together but took two cars). Went back to the front desk and they gave me the Charger that was sitting in the Executive VIP section.

On the way back noticed another Taurus in the ES.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.