Search

Cars at SFO

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2010, 8:08 am
LGA

Programs: AS; AA; UA; DL; VS; BA; Nat'l Emer. Exec.; AGR
Originally Posted by pinniped
Friday, 11AM.

Lady luck was unkind to me. The ES had probably 25 cars: all Korean or GM except one far at the end - a Dodge Charger SXT.

It was a bit of a gas guzzler but at least it had working XM.
You're anti-Hyundai...? I've found their performance, comfort *and* mpg to be a surprisingly good combo.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 4:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by LGA
You're anti-Hyundai...? I've found their performance, comfort *and* mpg to be a surprisingly good combo.
I wouldn't say I'm rabidly anti-Hyundai. Or Kia...or GM. I've driven all of them over the years from rental agencies. For example, when I get them on my rare Hertz rental I drive them without complaining...it's not something that makes me run back to the #1 Club Gold booth demanding another car.

In fact, one time I did go back to the Gold booth to demand something other than a minivan - offering to accept a Hyundai instead (thinking it would be the smallest, least-desirable car on the lot). The guy said "OK, here's your Hyundai"...it turned out to be one of their bigger models and was just fine.

But in the National system, which usually has a lot of variety, I tend to avoid them. I suppose if I saw that bigger Hyundai, well-trimmed, I'd consider it. Sort of like I consider a loaded Impala if I see it... Or that higher-performance Saturn they had for a year or two...
Old May 15, 2010, 9:18 am

Programs: Flying Blue
Anyone rent from SFO recently? I'm making a luxury reservation there next month.
Old May 19, 2010, 12:00 am

Programs: National Exec, HA Pualani Gold
Slim pickings tonight...EA had a few HHRs, a well worn Mazda 5, and a Grand Caravan. Took an Elantra instead from midsize. It had an iPod port and working XM. ES had a Malibu and a Camry.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 12:35 pm

Programs: United 1K, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Haven't been to SFO in quite some time.

I reserved a Premium for pick-up tomorrow night.

Is it even worth looking on the Exec Aisle?

What are they giving there for Premium these days?
Old Jun 12, 2010, 11:42 am

Programs: United 1K, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Pathetic selection last evening and this AM at SFO National.

Arrived late last evening with a Premium rental. There were 2 Mercury Grand Marquexs (Ford Crown Vic) (full) on the Premium area and 1 in the Luxury area. The Exec Aisle had a hadful of Malibus (mid) and Impalas (full). I think there was 1 HHR. The Emerald Aisle I believe had a Caliber, HHRs and a Beetle. The Exec VIP car was a Charger...didn't see if it had leather or not.

I inquired with the staff regarding the lack of vehicles in Premium and they offered me any car on their lot, they specified a Suburban on numerous occasions. The staff was very friendly and accomedating. But, who really wants to drive a Suburban in SFO? I looked at the 2 Suburbans, and they both smelled very strongly of their fruit spray odor masker. They both also had 25K plus miles on them. The one I planned to take had leather and I did a quick walk around and there were a bunch our gouges on the front and rear bumpers I didn't want to take the chance of being blamed for.

I spoke to the manager regarding vehicle selection and what would be coming off the was bays, but the realized at 1:30 in the AM, not too many cars would be coming in. I saw a Camaro that he said I could take, got excited, but their were no keys for it. He said I could come back the following day (today) and get a new car.

I drove off with a basic Ford Edge with 1780 miles on it. In my opinion, the best car on the lot.

I returned this AM to inquire as to swapping vehicles. Talk about a total difference in staff friendliness and politeness. Last night they were considerate and willing to help, and today it seemed like I was bothering them. Not a difference in car selection either. The Premium area had 6 Grand Marquexs. The" Luxury" area has 3 300s, 1 with cloth seats and over 20k and 1 of the Leather over 30k. The Exec VIP car was a Ford Flex. Exec and Emerald Aisle still had similar cars to last evening, though there was a Cube there...never saw one at National or any other rental agency before. There was a new Hyundai Sonata in the Full size area I contemplated switching too, but figured it wasn't worth the hastle. I inquired about an STS that was returned and awaiting clean-up and was informed it was a luxury and I couldn't take it.

I tell you, I am lossing my faith in National. This is the second rental they have screwed up for me in the past 2 weeks. I flew into Lansing, Michigan because my flight to Grand Rapids was cancelled. Before my flight, I called National and they made special pick-up arrangements at the Lansing Airport National because I was arriving after the facility closed. A special pick-up is great when the facility actually follows through with the pick-up. Luckily Avis was still open, the only one at Lansing. They provided me with a brand new Escape, the nicest car they had (minus a Cadillac, which I understand she couldn't "give" me), for only 48 one way. I didn't have to pay for any mileage either. Luckily they had a decent car being I had international customers with me. And now SFO trying to pass a Grand Marquex off as a Premium and then my wasting my time today to switch cars to see the exact same cars there. I called the National in Lansing and they said they would "take care" of me the next time I come in. Well, I never fly into Lansing. I need to call National on that one.

Anyone else see National going downhill since Enterprise bought them?
Old Jun 12, 2010, 12:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by 91StealthES
....Anyone else see National going downhill since Enterprise bought them?
They were going downhill before Enterprise bought them. Once they hooked up with Alamo, it was all downhill from there.

SFO is a somewhat problematic station - I've had great staff experiences and really bad experiences - interestingly enough from the very same person.

Selection can be hit or miss - and I've been there when they've had NO cars at all and trying to figure out what to do. The last time that happened to me, they tried to pawn a Suburban on me (when gas prices were in the 4s per gallon) and a riot almost ensued when a Camry was pulled up for a Joe Shmo off the street while a bunch of Emerald Aisle and Exec members were waiting for cars and they didn't understand why they should be giving every available to car to waiting EA/Exec members and either walking the Joe Shmos or telling them to wait inside.
Old Jun 12, 2010, 12:56 pm

Eh, they've been passing off Grand Marquises as Premiums at many airport locations, not just SFO. I just wish Ford would hurry and kill production of that anachronism.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 12:30 am

Well, just returned my "take any car" Ford Edge to National as was charged an upgrade fee. The nice gentleman who returned my vehicle was very nice and polite and promptly removed the upgrade fee when I informed him about no premium cars and being told to take "any car in the lot."

I decided to swing by the Premium section on my way to the Tram. It is loaded with 300s. The same 300s I was informed I couldn't take on Saturday when I wasted my time to return to grab a premium car and not an SUV. Tonight in Luxury, there was 1 300, 1 Lincoln and 2 Lucernes...the same Lucerne that comes up as the specified or similar car on Nationals website when you rent a Premium vehicle.

I figured I would just swing by the front desk to inform them that their vehicles were all messed up. The nice gentleman at the front desk agreed that Lucernes are Premium and not Luxury. He was also suprised they wouldn't give me a 300 on Saturday. He informed me though that the 300 with the HEMI is classified as a Luxury, where the others should be Premium. He is going to pass my information onto one of the upper superiors in their office to explain the entire rental period.

Overall, I am happy with the way the National employees handled these situations, both on Friday and this evening, but less than impressed with the customer service on Saturday morning.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 7:52 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

the same Lucerne that comes up as the specified or similar car on Nationals website when you rent a Premium vehicle.
Lucerne is now classified as Luxury - the Premium sample car is now the Lacrosse. I agree with you though that it was pretty messed up - this is a really strange location.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by peteropny
Lucerne is now classified as Luxury - the Premium sample car is now the Lacrosse. I agree with you though that it was pretty messed up - this is a really strange location.
The new Lacrosse is pretty nice, so I'd expect to see it in Premium.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 10:03 am

Hi there, I am coming to the US in September and have decided to try National for the first time (normally use Hertz) and booked online for a Chevy Tahoe from SFO for the duration of my stay. Just wanted to know what is considered "similar" in that class if the Tahoe is not there when I get in.

Thanks
Old Jun 17, 2010, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by mo81
Hi there, I am coming to the US in September and have decided to try National for the first time (normally use Hertz) and booked online for a Chevy Tahoe from SFO for the duration of my stay. Just wanted to know what is considered "similar" in that class if the Tahoe is not there when I get in.

Thanks
The only full size SUVs I saw were Suburbans. There were plenty of them.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 10:36 am

The only full size SUVs I saw were Suburbans. There were plenty of them.
thanks, a suburban is a little bit more than what would be needed...
Old Jun 21, 2010, 9:27 am

When I arrived on a Sunday midday, EA was a Grand Marquis. That was it. While I was standing around waiting (waiting for more people to come in anyways), they brought in a Fusion SEL which was taken immediately and a Malibu, also taken immediately. I eventually snagged a fairly loaded Tahoe with about 13k. ES was mostly Chargers, 300s, and Grand Marquis'. No SUVs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.