FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   National | Emerald Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/national-emerald-club-424/)
-   -   Cars at DTW (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/national-emerald-club/639819-cars-dtw.html)

DJMeatBall Dec 26, 2006 2:32 am

Cars at DTW

Here's a heads up for anyone renting in DTW, National has finally put up an "Emerald Aisle" area off to the side of the lot where the shuttle bus will drop people off first.

I reserved an intermediate car but when I got to the aisle there were nothing but full size cars and SUV's in there. When I asked about it, they said Emerald Club customers could take any car in the aisle area. I think this may be a routine thing until they finish getting the signage up in the Aisle area.

For what it's worth, my experience has been that Alamo/National's set up in DTW is a mess. For non-Aisle rentals, the first desirable car that comes back from being cleaned, customers stampede out from the building to claim it. :D :p With the new Aisle area, things might be on track to become a bit better.

nwaaok Dec 26, 2006 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by DJMeatBall (Post 6903005)
Here's a heads up for anyone renting in DTW, National has finally put up an "Emerald Aisle" area off to the side of the lot where the shuttle bus will drop people off first.

I reserved an intermediate car but when I got to the aisle there were nothing but full size cars and SUV's in there. When I asked about it, they said Emerald Club customers could take any car in the aisle area. I think this may be a routine thing until they finish getting the signage up in the Aisle area.

For what it's worth, my experience has been that Alamo/National's set up in DTW is a mess. For non-Aisle rentals, the first desirable car that comes back from being cleaned, customers stampede out from the building to claim it. :D :p With the new Aisle area, things might be on track to become a bit better.

Totally agree that National DTW is crazy. Nearly every time i visit the aisle they are out or nearly out of cars....

skAAtinsteph Dec 26, 2006 7:58 pm

I have only rented from National at DTW once and was amazed at what I saw. It looked like a used car lot on some street corner! They didn't even look at my Driver Lic, credit card or paperwork on the way out.

EdV Jan 5, 2007 2:02 pm

Disarray yes, but good selection

I've been renting regularly at DTW for the past two months (here now actually) :eek: and I must say I like the selection. While I must agree that parts of the Emerald / Executive Aisle appears to be in disarray sometimes I have only once seen the Aisle(s) to have a sparse selection. I have had:
  1. Chrysler 300C (w/Hemi)
  2. Chrysler Pacifica
  3. Chevy Tahoe
  4. Pontiac Grand Prix
  5. Cadillac - not sure which model
  6. Dodge Magnum

All but the Grand Prix came from the Exec Aisle. I took that because the Exec Aisle was pretty much empty at the time or had cars I had disliked. :td: The 300C was a nice surprise. :cool: Didn't realize it was the Hemi until I started it up.

But there are always cars stacked up that you can't get to because they are too packed in. :mad:

OP_Fav1 Jun 16, 2009 12:52 pm

Anyone rented from DTW recently?

More interested in the ES..

TIA.

akbar jaffer Jun 17, 2009 3:38 pm

Detroit DTW car selection

i am emerald elite and was wondering what is the propbability of getting either a minivan or a SUV at detroit at about 930pm this friday night. need to sat 3 booster seats and 4 adults.

OP_Fav1 Jun 17, 2009 4:46 pm

I was wanting to know the same thing that what can I expect in the ES aisle, but so far no one has replied.

Anyway, I just realized that this is the Father's Day weekend, so I am not expecting anything roomy, especially a van. I'll be lucky to find an SUV.

I'll be picking up tomorrow, so hopefully I can log on and tell what was there.

If you really need it that bad, and it seems like you do, I would suggest reserving that one.

akbar jaffer Jun 17, 2009 5:15 pm

detroit roomy car availability

I need the extended access for a couple of days in Toronto. If I reserved a SUV or minvan cost went from like 380 to 800 for the 10 day rental. Was trying to avoid the huge upcharge. Would appreciate your feedback after you rent tommorow.

rkmontoya Jun 18, 2009 12:48 pm

I rented from National at DTW every week for about a year and a half and I never had a serious problem getting a decent car there. I have been in the market for purchasing a Mid-Size SUV, and with National, I was able to test almost off of the ones that I was looking for.

I frequently got cars like the Buick Enclave, Trailblazers, Envoys, Murano's, sometimes even Tahoes, Jeeps, Pathfinders and 4Runners. When I was in the mood for a smaller car, I would get S60's, Volvo Station Wagons (just for fun), mustangs, Camry's, Avalons, Maxima's, Altima's. Basically, if you name it, I got it at some point.

If for some reason they dont have what you are looking for, I would find a lot attendant, and generally they are nice enough to accomidate you if you are Emerald Club.

akbar jaffer Jun 18, 2009 1:16 pm

Thanks. Will keep my fingers crossed

OP_Fav1 Jun 19, 2009 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by rkmontoya (Post 11930127)
I rented from National at DTW every week for about a year and a half and I never had a serious problem getting a decent car there. I have been in the market for purchasing a Mid-Size SUV, and with National, I was able to test almost off of the ones that I was looking for.

I frequently got cars like the Buick Enclave, Trailblazers, Envoys, Murano's, sometimes even Tahoes, Jeeps, Pathfinders and 4Runners. When I was in the mood for a smaller car, I would get S60's, Volvo Station Wagons (just for fun), mustangs, Camry's, Avalons, Maxima's, Altima's. Basically, if you name it, I got it at some point.

If for some reason they dont have what you are looking for, I would find a lot attendant, and generally they are nice enough to accomidate you if you are Emerald Club.

Here is how my experience went:

Arrived DTW around 11:00 PM, and took the National shuttle to the lot. The lady dropped us off at the EE aisle, and to my surprise there was ONLY 1 car left on the aisle :eek: :eek:

The lone car was a 2009 Nissan Maxima with 22 K miles on it. I asked the lady if there was anything else and she said they are completely sold out.... OUCH.... As I started to put the luggage in the trunk, I saw an attendant bringing some model of Hyundai - don't know which one. I thought that was a good sign and they will bring more cars.

As the attendant was leaving the car, I asked him if there was a Van or an SUV available and he said they had no vans expect for a few but only with "Van" reservations not for Executive aisle.

Soon after, another attendant brought out a GMC Acadia. I was glad I had waited a few minutes but when I got in the Acadia it had 30 K miles on it - I said I better wait a few more minutes.

Finally, an attendant brought out a brand spanking new Buick Enclave CXL, fully loaded with XM and only 3 K miles ^^. I took this one and left.

The lady at the exit was extremely nice, did not say a word (I was using my 1-2 free coupon) :) :), and I left the lot in like 5 minutes tops.

So in summation, as I was leaving, the aisle went from 1 car to these following cars. Don't know if anything good came afterwards. No vans while I was there.

2009 Nissan Maxima - 20 K + miles
2009 GMC Acadia - 30 K + miles
2009 Buick Enclave CXL - 3 K miles ^
2009 Ford - some model I don't know
2009 Hyundai - some model I don't know

Hope this helps.

akbar jaffer Jun 19, 2009 4:30 pm

thanks

I am stuck in Denver so won get in till after midnight. Got my fingers and toes crossed....lol

MSP_vibe Apr 2, 2010 10:07 am

Last week (3/30/10) the lot was full of the usual mediocre bits:

- HHRs aplenty
- Focuses (Foci?)
- Corollas
- A couple Priuses (Prium? Prii? Prioria?)
- Cobalts
Not a single CUV or small SUV in sight.

I rented from Fullsize which was:
- 2 Malibus
- 1 Charger
- Avengers/Sebrings
- 2 G6s

Went to Hertz 2 days later and got a Subaru Forester for a midsize price.

jjlovecub Jul 24, 2010 8:21 am

Bad Executive Selection at DTW

Got in last night to DTW. DTW used to be great for ES. However, I had to go 8 rows deep to find anything besides an Impala or Charger (which I hate). I took the one Camry in the bunch. Why have 30 of each car?? Variety is better!

UALfromMSN Jul 27, 2010 6:07 pm

as I was pulling out of the Executive Aisle the last night in a Charger, they rolled a VW Beetle to the line. I had that car the last time I was in DTW, and almost pulled back to the lot to grab it. Love that car.

The only other vehicles available were pickups and SUVs. Not my cup of tea.