Cars at DTW

Old Nov 30, 2023, 1:44 pm

A little belated but picked up here on 11/22 at about 7:45am - choices were pretty uninspiring - choose your color Malibu or Camry, a few convertible Mustangs, some Hyundai (Tuscon or other as prior poster noted) and a few base model Charger / Challengers in both ES and regular aisle, though both aisles were totally full with the aforementioned. I asked the greeter if they had any paid upgrades to which he said no (thought that was surprising). He also said he didn't think they would be pulling any SUVs or larger vehicles around and apologized. Waiting around and he was right, they didn't really pull anything good in for about 30 minutes.

I found a cherry red 2023 Mustang GT convertible with about 20k miles and NY plates so decided to take that. Was my first GT Mustang and it is pretty fun to drive although obviously not a great choice for MI winter. Also gas mileage sucks but to be expected.
Auto Enthusiast and strickerj like this.
Old Dec 6, 2023, 4:23 pm

Picked up Mon 12/4 PM. Booked a premium, they gave me a 2024 Audi A6. Nice car but has a smoke smell...
strickerj likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2023, 12:25 pm

Programs: National Executive Elite
Reserved a one-way rental from DTW to Ann Arbor on 12/6 around 4pm. DTW lot was fairly empty, notables include:
- Convertible Ford Mustang
- Ford F150
- GMC Sierra
- Malibu/Camry

I followed a porter who drove in a 2024 Volvo S60 (had 11K Miles). Super nice car, grabbed it and left.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 9:05 am

Thurs Dec 28 8:30pm:

ES:
- 3x Honda Accord
- 5-6x Toyota Camry
- 1x Volvo S60
- 2x Ford Escape Titanium (only non-sedan in ES)

Didn't wander to EA since I had a SFAR reservation. SUV section had
- 2x Chevy Suburban
- 2x Jeep Wagoneer
- 1x Jeep Wagoneer L
- 1x Infiniti QX80

I took a brand new Wagoneer that had 14 miles on it. All other vehicles in the section were 20k+, with one of the suburbans clocking in at 77k .
Old Jan 10, 2024, 9:30 pm

1/5 FRI PM
Took a 2024 Audi Q5, has adaptive cruise and premium sound system but for a new car it looks extremely dated inside and out compared to and modern car.
Also saw a nice looking 2024 BMW 228i Gran Coupe, tons of Challengers/Chargers/Mustangs. Some new Tuscon's and Santa Fe's as well.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 8:47 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
First time being back in a month. I flew back in the middle of the snowstorm and was expecting either an empty lot or a lot filled with sports cars but was surprised to see a pretty well stocked lot.

there were four almost new (less than 1200 miles) Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe editions, which Iíve never seen in the fleet. I ended up grabbing one as Iíve never driven in one and it wasÖdifferent?

I really liked the comfort. The dash also has the most sophisticated appearance Iíve ever seen.

Heated seats and steering wheel, and adaptive cruise control were all pluses.

It also felt pretty spacious

The negatives:

-The absolute worst mpg Iíve ever had. I did mostly freeway driving and averaged 17.7 MPG - thatís crazy low!

-It was loud inside from external factors

-No lane control (the horror, I knowÖ)

Other than that though, it was really nice. But given the abyssmal MPG Iíll probably pass in the future, but itís definitely worth a try!

Old Jan 15, 2024, 7:41 pm

When I picked up this morning -

A few standard SUVs, lots of sedans. There was a BMW 530e that I passed on because it was a little dirty on the inside.

Waffled between a Hyundai Palisade and 4Runner, ended up with the 4Runner. Didn't walk around too much as it was 0į and my ears and fingers were burning after just 2 minutes in the wind.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by BThumme
there were four almost new (less than 1200 miles) Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe editions, which Iíve never seen in the fleet. I ended up grabbing one as Iíve never driven in one and it wasÖdifferent?
The negatives:

-The absolute worst mpg Iíve ever had. I did mostly freeway driving and averaged 17.7 MPG - thatís crazy low!
Wonder if it was running in FORM mode? Or if you had no battery charge on it at all, but even with no battery charge, that sounds pretty bad. I don't have experience with the Wrangler 4xe, but I own a GC 4xe, and about the only time I get mileage that bad is when it's stuck in FORM mode. (Fuel Oil Refresh Mode). With the middle of winter, it's quite possible that it was. And there's not really any obvious way to tell if you miss the message at startup (other than the fact that you can't switch to all electric, and in hybrid mode, it'll basically not use any charge at all from the battery.)
strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 4:19 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by piper28
Wonder if it was running in FORM mode? Or if you had no battery charge on it at all, but even with no battery charge, that sounds pretty bad.)
Thatís pretty good on a 4xe. My 4xe Wrangler Rubicon gets about 12 on gas right now in dead of winter on the freeway. Even on hybrid mode, it runs more like electric only or gas, but not usually a mix of both like most hybrids. Local roads during summer time - 35-40mpg.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 6:21 pm

Wonder if it was running in FORM mode? Or if you had no battery charge on it at all, but even with no battery charge, that sounds pretty bad. I don't have experience with the Wrangler 4xe, but I own a GC 4xe, and about the only time I get mileage that bad is when it's stuck in FORM mode. (Fuel Oil Refresh Mode). With the middle of winter, it's quite possible that it was. And there's not really any obvious way to tell if you miss the message at startup (other than the fact that you can't switch to all electric, and in hybrid mode, it'll basically not use any charge
at all from the battery.)
The battery was definitely at 0-1%, that much I can confirm.

And now that you say that, I thought I did see something about oil, or maybe it was an orange light that had like an oil icon?

Iím heading back tonight for another pickup,
maybe Iíll try another one if there is one.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 8:14 pm

National is completely out of cars at the moment. Guy in front of me got walked (except he has to walk or Uber himself) to Avis. They actually are just taking everyone to the actual counters, since there are only two vehicles in the lot (both without keys).

for those of us executive, theyíre slowly bringing vehicles out. Although of course I was offered a challenger.

waited about 10 minutes and got a ford escape, so thatís good enough for now. Lots of unhappy folks here.
strickerj and oftech like this.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by kxc262
Thatís pretty good on a 4xe. My 4xe Wrangler Rubicon gets about 12 on gas right now in dead of winter on the freeway. Even on hybrid mode, it runs more like electric only or gas, but not usually a mix of both like most hybrids. Local roads during summer time - 35-40mpg.
Huh, surprised it would do worse than the grand cherokee 4xe. In form mode I think I tend to get about 16-17 mpg. Normal driving when not in form mode it's harder to say. As you note, it's more electric only than a true hybrid, although I find even when 0 charge it performs better than straight gas would be.

I did the math comparing to my old grand cherokee at one point. Since mpg isn't really quite as relevant of a number, I started measuring the electric amount from charging, and then doing a cost per mile calculation. Works out that I'd get between about 1-3 cents per mile cheaper than the old gas only grand cherokee (that was a 5 speed automatic, not even an 8 speed). So it's not a huge improvement over the gas ones, but man, it sure does drive nicer in my opinion.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 5:10 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Huh, surprised it would do worse than the grand cherokee 4xe.
Lack of aerodynamics :/
Old Feb 20, 2024, 4:23 pm

Rented on 3 Different Occasions

January 15-18
Made a full size booking (Executive tier). Picked up on a Monday 9am, full lot just before the snow storm. Other than the usual suspects (full sizes, mid-size SUV), a few notables in Executive were 2024 BMW X7 X40i (took this), BMW 5 series, Cadillac CT4.

February 4-5 (One Way to Ann Arbor)
Made a full size booking (Executive tier). Picked up at 8am, another full lot. Notables were 2024 Volvo S60, 2024 Honda Accord, Jeep Gladiator, 2024 Audi A6 (took this), plethora of Pacificas, 2024 Buick Encore GX (DTW had a new batch shipped to them recently), 2024 Hyundai Sonatas (new shipment as well).

February 10-12
Made a Midsize Luxury Elite Booking (Audi Q7/Volvo XC60 or similar). Picked up at 5am, nobody was in the emerald booth so I strolled around the whole national lot until I found the car that matched my booking. Emerald lot was full but there was nothing notable except a 2024 BMW 228i. Got a hold of a greeter and after asking what they had available they were able to take out a 2024 Mazda CX-90. Other SUV's in the reserved lot were GMC Yukon, Chevy Tahoe, Ford Expedition limited Max trim. At the end of the rental was able to get a discount off my total price since the Mazda was classified as a Standard Crossover and I was billed a Midsize Luxury.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 9:07 pm

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by kxc262
Lack of aerodynamics :/
Not to mention that the Rubicon has these aggressive off road tires that costs a few more mpg

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.