Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at DTW

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2020, 9:04 am

Programs: BW Diamond, Choice Plat, National Exec Elite
Wednesday 6/10, 10pm

The ES was stocked abut 75% full, the EA was nearly empty.

There was literally a flotilla of Nissan Armadas. At least a dozen. No lie.
Sedans included base Chargers, Passats and Altimas. There were a couple nicer Camrys and Fusions.
SUVs included Jeep Cherokee, Mazda CX-5s and some kind of Mitsubishi to be avoided.
Upscale vehicles included Infiniti Q50s and a Audi Q5.
No minivans of any kind
A couple Nissan Frontiers, and a Ford Ranger.
SoroSuub1, m907 and missingcolours like this.
Old Jun 29, 2020, 10:51 am

Wednesday 6/24, 8pm

The EA was empty. ES had about a dozen cars. But because they were clearly short on cars, it was like Field of Dreams. The sedans were mostly BMW 3 series (at least 6, pick your color), there was also a Lincoln MKZ, which I've never seen in the ES in Detroit before. 2 convertibles (which also never happens in DTW unless its winter), 1 was a Mustang of unknown engine (not a GT), and 1 Camaro SS. However this week, I really needed a pickup. None on the ES, didn't see any on the lot to ask for. Took the only SUV which was an Infiniti QX80.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 8:16 am

Thursday 6/9. 8pm

No cars. Either side of the aisle. There were a few people waiting at the aisle, taking whatever got driven up. There were dozens of people waiting outside the office for cars. I wound up walking over to the office and finding a manager. Offered me a Mercedes CLA right away. I told the manager I needed something bigger like the Nissan Armadas that usually are all over the ES. He told me SUVs were in high demand. When I told him I'd take a pickup, he got on the radio and had one pulled up almost immediately. Ram Classic, but its got a Hemi, and I didn't have to wait. I'll give DTW credit for quickly taking care of me as best they could.
missingcolours likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 9:51 am

Fri 10 july
literally every car was a compass or a Cherokee stripped I asked the attendant if anything else is coming out he said no 5 minutes later another attendant brought out a grand Cherokee limited which I grabbed with 900 miles
Old Jul 13, 2020, 10:59 am

Programs: Skymiles GM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Hertz 5*
Gongshow, long lines, little social distancing. At least there were lots of cars on the lot. They let me keep my current car all the way to YYZ (but only because they didn't already have a Canadian car) so I didn't end up taking anything.

ES at July 11 at noon.
Jeep Grand Cherokee x2
Nissan Maxima
Jeep Wrangler Sport
Ford Edge
Ford Edge SEL
GMC terrain AWD
Ford Edge titanium
Nissan Pathfinder
Nissan Armada x3
Mitsubishi Outlander
BMW 330i xDrive
Infiniti q60
Nissan frontier
Nissan Altima
Land Rover discovery
Dodge charger
GMC terrain
Toyota Camry
Mini Cooper countryman

Old Jul 15, 2020, 3:58 pm

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
I am going to be renting a one way DTW-PHX in mid August.
Standard SUV is cheaper than Exec Aisle.
Luxury Car is even cheaper.

What can I expect for Standard SUV, and would they give me a upgrade to full size SUV?
And what would fall into Luxury Car?

With this being a one way will I be able to pick my car, or will the force me into the car they want to get rid of?
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by MarkCron

What can I expect for Standard SUV, and would they give me a upgrade to full size SUV?

With this being a one way will I be able to pick my car, or will the force me into the car they want to get rid of?
Under normal circumstances they might let you take a Full Size SUV, but with everything as bad as it is with coronavirus I highly doubt it.
Luxury is usually Volvo, BMW, Audi, Infiniti class.

With either class, you should have your choice of cars in that category, and you can also choose to take something the aisle. One way would only come into play if asking for something else (e.g. booking standard SUV and asking for full size).
Old Jul 15, 2020, 9:56 pm

Programs: American Express Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz President's Circle, National Executive Elite

I would play close attention and make sure there is unlimited mileage on the reservation, as one-ways (especially with luxury car classes and SUVs) often have a cheaper rate, but then tack on a cost/mile as well. I almost fell for that once.
Auto Enthusiast and strickerj like this.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by ChristopherJN
I would play close attention and make sure there is unlimited mileage on the reservation, as one-ways (especially with luxury car classes and SUVs) often have a cheaper rate, but then tack on a cost/mile as well. I almost fell for that once.
Check your rate plan carefully. Regular retail rates usually have unlimited miles, but default corporate codes in your profile may not.
strickerj, Ordpc and ChristopherJN like this.
Old Jul 16, 2020, 6:06 am

Thanks for the advice. I see my rate is $0.40 per mile for the one way rental for SUV, and unlimited for Aisle. May change my plan.

Last edited by MarkCron; Jul 16, 2020 at 6:38 am
Old Jul 19, 2020, 9:53 am

Thanks for the advice. I see my rate is $0.40 per mile for the one way rental for SUV, and unlimited for Aisle. May change my plan.
Of course, by the time you rent it may change, but the standard SUV on the Exec side lately has been the Nissan Armada and/or Infiniti QX80. Smaller has been hard to come by.
Old Jul 19, 2020, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by duxfan
Of course, by the time you rent it may change, but the standard SUV on the Exec side lately has been the Nissan Armada and/or Infiniti QX80. Smaller has been hard to come by.
I'd be happy if either of those is in the Exec Aisle.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by duxfan
Yes, there were 3 or 4 Armadas in the Exec area this morning. I got off the bus with about 6-7 people and all the Armadas got snapped right up.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 8:41 pm

Thursday 9/3, 6pm

More cars on the ES in DTW than I have seen in a while.

However, 75% of what was there was either a Chevy Equinox or Chrysler minivan. I didn't look to see if they were Pacificas or low content Voyagers, but there were more than normal. 1 Jeep Cherokee, 1 Mitsu Outlander, 1 Dodge Durango. Not a sedan or pickup to be had. I grabbed the lone GMC Acadia, only to be turned back at the gate due to a "liability hold" on the car. As i pulled back to the aisle, a BMW 530 got pulled up. Snagged that as my replacement.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 10:42 am
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
Was here on Saturday (9/5) around 10PM. EA and ES were empty (actually, zero cars) and they were pulling cars up as they were washed for people with reservations. As an EE I was offered one of the Expedition EL's they had up front or was told I could wait to see what else came out. Other interesting options I was offered were a BMW 330i M Sport (12K miles, MD plates), a Jaguar F-Pace, or a relatively new Mazda CX-30 Grand Touring.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.