Cars at DTW

Old Apr 12, 2015, 9:04 pm

Sunday around 7PM.

Oddly, I didn't see any evidence of the PS section as dwbf11 described, setup looked to me as it's always been, ES to the left of the canopy as facing it, EA to the right, and the first row on the right definitely looked like EA type cars. (Oddly, from dwbf11's comment, he implies that's not how it was in the past, but for me, ES has always been away from the street (to the left) and EA to the right (towards street).

Didn't pay much attention to the EA section, although it looked like there were a number of 200's there.

ES:
lots of Sonata's
Several Fusion SE, looked like all non-ecoboost
One 2014 Fusion Titanium
Jeep compas
Jeep patriot
Jeep cherokee latitude
Hyundai Santa Fe
Impala LT
Couple of 200's
a 300
and a VW Bug, parked in that ambiguous area between ES and EA (behind the booth area under the canopy)

Full sized aisle looked like Sonata's and Fusion SE's

Ended up taking the Fusion Titanium, although it's got a number of scratches in various places, inside also has a couple stains on the fabric (like around the sun visor). Not huge problems, but more abused than I'd normally say I'd see. Also had about 20900 miles on it, which I thought was over what it should be for being on the ES aisle (although I'm not too concerned about that).
Old Apr 28, 2015, 9:36 pm

Sunday, around 7pm

ES:
Explorer
Ford Fusion Titanium
couple of Sonatas
Hyundai Santa Fe pulled up as I was adjusting seats/mirrors
couple of Mazda 6
couple of low end cross-over types

EA:
mostly I noticed a number of 200's
Hyundai Sonata

Only the first couple of rows really seemed open, everything after that was parked in solid such that you couldn't get to it. They did seem to be bringing freshly washed cars up frequently during the time I was there. Ended up taking the Fusion Titanium.

(FWIW, the Fusion we took in the previous entry ended up getting returned part way through the rental because of an electrical problem that among other things made starting somewhat unreliable. That ended up getting swapped for an Impala LTZ.)
Old May 10, 2015, 7:51 pm

Sunday about 6:30pm

ES:
Several Impala LT
Sonata
Jeep Compass
Jeep Cherokee
Couple 200's
Hyundai Tucson
Nissan Pathfinder

EA:
several 200's
Fusion SE (non ecoboost)
Buick Encore

Out in some of the overflow parking saw a new mustang still wrapped in plastic.

Thought about taking the Cherokee or Encore (wife needs a little more room over the next rental or two to move some stuff). Wife asked the greeters whether there was any chance there might be a 2015 Edge since we've been wanting to try one of those, and they said they had one that was being cleaned and if we'd wait a couple minutes they'd bring it up. Ended up being a Titanium trim one with about 1750 miles on it, so not a bad choice.
Old May 10, 2015, 11:26 pm

Do the Edge Titaniums people have been seeing come with the sunroof? I'm wondering if they are buying the upgraded package for them or if they are just base Titanium.
Old May 11, 2015, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by Coastercameron
Do the Edge Titaniums people have been seeing come with the sunroof? I'm wondering if they are buying the upgraded package for them or if they are just base Titanium.
Looks like what we got was the AWD Edge with the only option being the v6 engine. (Which kinda surprised me since I've felt it's slightly underpowered.)
Old May 24, 2015, 6:48 pm

Sunday around 5:30pm

SUV/crossovers galore today. Felt somewhat bare, probably because of the holiday weekend.

ES:
Bunch of Ford Escape SE Ecoboost
Jeep Cherokee
Hyundai crossover (didn't look to see which one)
Sonata
Malibu
2015 Ford Edge

EA:
Didn't look closely, but saw some 200's and a fair number of small crossover types. Some other cars too, but didn't really pay attention to what.

Went ahead and took the Edge, seemed to be the best of what was available. Lot attendants were somewhat apologetic about the lack of any real interesting choices.
Old May 26, 2015, 9:42 am
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
Dropped off yesterday around 6PM.

Upgrade area:
BMW 528i
Several Yukons
2014 Mustang

ES
Lots of Ford Edges (some Titanium)
New Ford F150's
Several Pathfinders and Explorers
Normal FCAR offerings

EA
Lots of small crossovers.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 7:55 pm

Sunday around 6PM:
Pretty uninspiring collection of things today.

ES:
Explorer leaving as we got there
Challenger
Charger
Sonatas
Equinox
Cherokee
Compass
Santa Fe
Couple of different pick-ups
Jetta

EA:
several 200's
Kia Soul
other usual stuff

Had a 2015 Edge Titanium pull up while we were waiting. Got in that, but the engine light was on. Staff found another 2015 Edge Titanium and brought it around, but as soon as you opened the door you could smell the smoke smell.

Staff then suggested a Grand Cherokee that was parked off to the side (basically right next to the exit gates for those familiar with the location). Gladly took that, only had about 1800 miles on it.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 10:33 am

Sunday around 6PM:

Fair number of cars, but nothing terribly exciting

ES:
Couple Jeep Cherokee's
Passat
Couple Pathfinders
Malibu LT
Equinox
Couple 200's
Couple of Santa Fe's
Fair number of Sonata's
a number of different pickup trucks

EA:
Bunches of 200's
Escape SE
Compass

The guy working the lot was very accommodating at trying to locate something that we'd like. They found an Impala LTZ that was just cleaned and brought that around, but it smelled of smoke (I always feel bad when they bring something around special for us and then it ends up being real smokey, because I'm not taking a smokey car if I can at all avoid it). They couldn't find any others. The Fusion's apparently are all pulled for recall work right now (he said he had about 30 of them off to the side waiting on that). Just about took one of the Cherokee's, but ended up taking a Buick Encore that was pulled up while we were out there.

They did keep bringing a fair number of cars out during the time we spent waiting for something interesting, but everything they kept bringing out was typically the same boring stuff . Lot's of 200's out that day.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 8:57 am

Thursday around 10PM

EA/ES indistinguishable, 50% Chrysler 200's and the rest a mix of FCARs and small SUV's (mostly RAV4's, many in XLE trim with sunroofs). Minivans and Full Size SUV's still on reservation only as they have been all summer, so no way to get one without a res.

Highlights included a Buick Lacrosse and a 2016 Nissan Maxima S (cloth seats, no sunroof).

Upgrade had a few Suburbans, a BMW 328xi, and several new Challengers.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 2:13 pm

Tuesday around 7:15 am

ES
couple of camaro's
charger
4runner
Kia minivan
couple of kia suv's
ford edge

Didn't see much else that stood out. Then again, that early in the morning after a red-eye flight I'm amazed I can remember anything about what was there.

Also noticed when leaving some signage at the booths about updated credit/debit card deposit rules (michigan licensed renters get dinged for a deposit of 300-500 above what the rental's cost is supposedly, with a minimum of $500). No cash/check/etc allowed anymore at DTW.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 4:00 pm

Yes, the gate agents told me about that deposit being enforced again. I suspect many local renters won't be happy about it. Oddly, I have't yet seen a $500 deposit put on my card but I haven't looked at my CC account during the rental, only after return. I'll have to see how much it actually is next time I come through.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 2:39 pm

Hmm, I do see a pending transaction on our card for $498.41 (free days, so my rental was $1.59, which shows separately as pending). Don't know if it'll post as an actual charge, or just stay as the temp authorization. Returning the car before I'd find out. If it just goes in as a hold, it's not going to be a big deal for me, and that's all I'd really suspect. Annoying, and interesting that they've started that up. Wonder what pushed them to do it.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 9:50 am

Programs: DL GE
Originally Posted by dwbf11
Yes, the gate agents told me about that deposit being enforced again. I suspect many local renters won't be happy about it. Oddly, I have't yet seen a $500 deposit put on my card but I haven't looked at my CC account during the rental, only after return. I'll have to see how much it actually is next time I come through.
Same experience last month, my deposit was calculated at $400. Looks like it was just a hold on my CC..

I don't understand this at all, Saginaw doesn't do this but they are aware DTW is doing it. The exit agent wouldn't tell me why, just it was for 'security'.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 1:57 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
This seems to be out of step with their stated location policy:

Cash Policy:
Cash is not accepted at this location
Debit Card Policy
De-planing customers may secure rental at time of pickup with a credit card or debit card in the renter's name. Debit card acceptance requires proof of return flight itinerary. The estimated cost of the rental plus 20% will be taken from the debit card for all deplaning customers.
Non-deplaning customers must present a credit card (with available credit) in the renters name. Deposit amounts vary by location from $100 to $300 plus the actual cost of the rental. Debit cards are not accepted from non-deplaning customers. Customers without a return flight itinerary wishing to use a debit card may contact the local national locations.
It sounds as if it should be limited to $300.

Aisle report: lots of small SUVs (Escape, various Kias and Hyundais, Jeep Cherokees and Compasses, at least one Wrangler), and a couple of full size pickups (including a new F-150 and a Hemi-equipped Ram) on Friday night. I grabbed a CX-5. There were a lot of sedans too, but I didn't look closely -- but noticed a bunch of Fusions.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.