Cars at DTW

Old Aug 16, 2014, 6:23 pm

Saturday around 3pm

Not necessarily a huge number of cars on the ES or EA, but there were a few interesting picks.
Explorer
Grand Cherokee
2015 Fusion Titanium

They were pulling up a Camaro Convertible while we were deciding, but they might have been putting that in the upgrade area. Took the 2015 Fusion. Heck, I've been watching the dealers for the 2015's and they haven't gotten shipments of them around here, but this one looks like it'd already been rented at least once. 330 miles, which while I know isn't a record around here, is the lowest I've gotten so far.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 3:53 pm
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
Friday 6PM

EA/ES
Many full size pickups
3X Dodge Journey
1X Chrysler 300C AWD
2-3 Ford Taurus
Nothing else of note

No upgrades available but for a Hyundai Genesis.

Sunday 2PM
Return from labor day weekend made it as well stocked as I've ever seen it.

EA/ES notables
1X Jeep GC Limited
1X 2015 Chrysler 200
2X Nissan Maxima
Several 2015 Yukons and Tahoes (no Suburbans or Yukon XL's though)
2X 2015 Camaro Coupe
1X 2015 Camaro 1LT Convertible

Upgrades
1X Cadillac XTS
1X 2014 Cadillac Escalade
1X Camaro 1LT Convertible
1X Yukon XL
Old Sep 2, 2014, 5:32 pm

Tues around 6:30pm

Wife reported to me via phone that there was:
a bleepload of Altima's
an Impala Limited

Should be easy to guess which one she took .
2015 Impala LTZ
Old Sep 8, 2014, 10:50 am

Sunday 6PM

EA/ES notables
4-5X Dodge Ram Quad Cab Big Horn w/Hemi
Several 2015 Tahoes (several in LTZ trim)
2015 Yukon and Yukon XL
1X VW Touraeg
1X Buick Lacrosse
Several Camaro coupes
1X Nissan XTerra
2X Fusion Titanium

Upgrades
1X 2015 Yukon XL
Several Camaro and Mustang coupes
Old Sep 8, 2014, 12:48 pm

I find it amusing that they've been putting Camaro's on the ES and in the upgrade section. Are the ones in the upgrade section any better equipped?
Old Sep 8, 2014, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by piper28
I find it amusing that they've been putting Camaro's on the ES and in the upgrade section. Are the ones in the upgrade section any better equipped?
Nope. Coupes were all 1LT's as were the convertibles. Some had sunroofs, otherwise I couldn't tell any difference. Seems as though they didn't really have anywhere else to park them which was why they clustered them up front.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 11:02 am

Picked up Saturday @8AM

EA:
3x Captivas
2x Equinox
1x 2015 200
1x Traverse LTZ
Other base sedans

ES
1x Ram 1500
1x Explorer
1x Journey
1x Jeep Cherokee

Not much of interest. Looked like they were storing (some good) inventory at the front of the lot.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 9:30 am

Spotted 2015 Expedition (w/Ecoboost) and 2015 Cadillac Escalade here over the weekend.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 8:01 pm

Saturday around 7pm

Got a call earlier in the week that National wanted our Impala LTZ back for service because of the recalls up for it. We happened to be near the airport today, so went ahead and stopped by to swap it out. Ooof, knew I shouldn't have bothered.

Everything was pretty bare, including all the Alamo aisles.

ES:
About 2 rows worth of vehicles. Almost everything was a large SUV, a pickup truck (first I've seen those here), or a minivan. Did see what looked to be a 2015 Chevy large SUV, but my wife isn't really going to want to drive something that size, plus we do a lot of mileage, so didn't want it from gas. Also was a camaro, probably should have taken that before it disappeared, but my wife wasn't real thrilled with the one we had for a one day rental (and I felt I had to almost lie down to drive it when we had it).

EA:
a Sonata and a VW Passat (could have been a Jetta, didn't get a good look at it). Yup, that was it.

Full size row started with an Impala Limiited and a Sonata. Had a Fusion that was driven up while I was looking elsewhere, but by the time I started walking to it, lot agent had already given it to someone. (Didn't even get a chance to see what trim level it was).

Since we had to go to the counter anyways because we were swapping, had my wife ask inside about anything else they might have, and she ended up with the manager coming out and taking a look around with us. He then went back into the cleaning area and came back and said he could get us a Malibu if we were willing to wait a little bit. Ended up being a 2014 Malibu 2LT with about 17k miles on it, but I'd rate that higher than the base Sonata's, and the bluetooth works a lot better on it than it does on the Sonata.

I really should have driven a little further down the road to get a look at the lot better before returning the car, if I'd seen how bare it was, I wouldn't have bothered. The current recalls on the Impala wouldn't have really bothered me for the next week that we have the car.

Talking with the lot agent while waiting, apparently the issue is because of the Chicago stuff that happened, a fair number of flights got diverted to Detroit, and so they lost a ton of cars on one ways to Chicago. She wasn't sure how they'd get the cars back, so wonder how things will be next week when we do our normal swap of cars.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 9:20 pm

"Getting the cars back" usually implies waiting for the flight IROPS to cease and the normal one-way traffic to return to normal. Then one-ways from Chicago and other cities to Detroit would eventually replenish the inventory count, presumably with different cars.

The problem here is that it's not a snowstorm, where there's an abnormally high number of random one-ways in all directions, both inbound and outbound, which would roughly cancel out long-term inventory fluctuations. The one-ways in question were all in the same direction, and it's unlikely there will be a huge influx of customers wanting to go to Detroit in the next week. One-way rates into DTW from other cities with extra cars may become lower than normal, for those who are heading there.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 2:08 pm

Yeah, I would guess during normal operations the one ways between detroit and chicago are pretty similar in number.

Ironically, this is the second time in the last couple of months that I've gotten affected renting cars because of flight irrops when I wasn't even flying . Got stuck in a longer line than I've ever had at LAN a month or so ago because of a flight to detroit that got diverted there. Good thing I had a reservation that night, because they bumped the one-way rate to detroit pretty significantly because of the number of cars that were being rented that way.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 6:31 pm

Saturday 6pm

ES:
Usual mix of small SUV's
Dodge Challenger
Mustang (pretty sure it wasn't a 2015, although couldn't find stickers on it, if it'd been a 2015 my wife would have gotten stuck with driving one of these for the month )
300 (not sure what level)
Jeep Cherokee (thought of trying his, kind of want to try one sometime, not sure on trim level though)
number of Sonata's

EA:
2015 200 (want to try one of these, but this appeared to be a pretty low trim version, complete with manual drivers seat, didn't see any indication of trim level on it though)
2014 200
Other usual EA stuff

Ended up taking a 2014 Fusion Titanium from the full-size aisle. 22k miles on it, but still was probably the best choice available. Wonder if it's had the airbag recall done on it yet though.

Unlike last week, the lot had a lot of cars on it. Just nothing terribly exciting.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 7:46 pm

Saturday 5pm
Actually saw a number of cars parked in the area that people have told me where they put the PCAR's, although the mix there wasn't necessarily what I'd expect of a PCAR section. Some were: Taurus, I think there was a Lacrosse. But there was also a Ford Fusion Titanium there, and a Mini (not sure what that would be categorized).

ES:
Largely the normal selection of cars, but surprisingly, for once, I saw very few SUV's/CUV's (in fact, I can't think of one that I saw at all).
Several Fusions, most were SE.
Impala Limited LTZ
Impala LT
Usual selection of Altima's, Sonata's, etc.
There was a Camaro in front of the booth, don't know if they were trying to PS that or if it was available, don't really like them so didn't ask

EA:
Usual cars here. A number of the new 200's, but every one looked like it was base trim.

Ended up asking about the Fusion Titanium that was in the supposed PCAR section, the guy there said we could take that, or he thought there were several parked over near the EA section (actually, right near where they had a sign for the PS stuff, although I didn't see anything labeled for it). Since I was standing near that section at the time, grabbed a Fusion Titanium from there with around 5k miles on it. (Interesting, had a similar license plate to the last car we had, so must have been purchased around the same time.)
Old Dec 7, 2014, 8:03 pm

The Mini is an SSAR. I've rented it before, and promptly returned it the next day. Was it the one with the NY plates? Fun car, but in the rental poverty spec it was profoundly unpleasant to drive.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 10:50 am

Didn't pay much attention to it. I've got pretty much zero interest in renting a mini. And the jacket I was wearing at the time wasn't really adequate to the temperature, so I was trying not to spend too much time looking for something suitable . (My wife spent most of the time chatting with the booth guys standing under their heater while I was looking for what we'd want to take.)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.