Cars at DTW

Old Feb 27, 2014, 7:58 pm

Hmm, she loses any credit she got for identifying cars by bringing home a car that absolutely reeked of smoke. She even found cigarette remnants in the car. I'm kinda surprised, because we're both pretty sensitive to smoke, and she says she hadn't noticed it (although then also said she found she was having issues with breathing on the way home). So have to try swapping it tomorrow in LAN. Pretty sad, a car with 2800 miles on it already completely ruined.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 5:26 pm

Sunday 3:30ish

Took the smokey Fusion back to swap out. (And apparently when swapping cars in DTW they want you to go inside the office, which the guy at the return point didn't tell us).

ES:
Camaro
Mustang (yeah, with the winter we've been having not doing those two)
Buick Verano
Ford Expedition
Chrysler T&C
Chrysler 200 was pulled in while I was there
Number of Altimas, Maximas
Other basic stuff

EA:
Honestly didn't pay much attention. Didn't see anything exciting, lots of 200's

Ended up taking a Fusion SE 2.5L off the Fullsize aisle. Got out of the lot headed to the expressway and noticed a very prominent vibration noise from the front left wheel. Went back and turned that one in, and this time picked up a 2013 Fusion SE Ecoboost that had been pulled onto ES in the time we were gone.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 7:13 pm

Sat about 7:15pm

ES:
Couple of Fusion SE Ecoboost
Passat
Altima
Camry
Malibu
Just about any smaller SUV you might want

Didn't really see what was in EA, they've got some pavement torn up between the ES and EA section at least in the first couple lanes, so I didn't walk over there. Didn't see anything that looked like it stood out from where I was.

ES had a few small suv's in the first couple lanes, then after those lanes, just about everything was small suv's. Does that mean National considers winter to be over?

Took one of the Fusions.

Oh, and they're redoing the return lanes, adding a covered return area. So they've got that area all torn up, and the entrance to the rental return is in a different spot for the moment.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 8:23 am
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
The pavement in the area being torn up under the canopy was in a very sorry shape, which is why (I think) they are redoing that. But I am looking forward to a covered return area.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 7:15 pm

Has Mrs. Piper28 been fired from aisle inventory reporting?
Old Mar 31, 2014, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by drzoidberg
Has Mrs. Piper28 been fired from aisle inventory reporting?
This one was my pickup (we alternate). But we're swapping out again next weekend (trying to actually use up some of the 1-2-free days), but I'll be with her for that one. Her next solo pick-up will be late April I think, so it'll be interesting to see how she does then.

I still have not actually been able to figure out where their premium aisle here is. I've seen the one for Alamo, don't know if National just uses the same area for this location or not.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 7:29 pm

Sat around 6:30pm

ES:
1 Altima
2 Sonatas (one up front, smokey smell, damn smokers, one way in the back, may have actually been in EA).
Everything else was SUV's, but really nothing exciting in the SUV line. Rogues, Captivas, Compasses.

EA: Saw a couple Altima's and a 200, but like ES was very SUV heavy (but much emptier).

Wife didn't really like the bluetooth dialing in the '13 Sonata we had a few months back, so she didn't really want to take the non-smelly Sonata (although it was a 14), so we took the Altima. She likes them more than I do, and she's the one doing the driving in it, and the gas mileage on them is superb. Definitely not as nice as the Fusion's we've had for the last month, but does do a lot better than the Fusions on the gas. (We were getting just under 25 on the Fusion, tend to get around 33 on the Altimas.)
Old Apr 25, 2014, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by dwbf11
The pavement in the area being torn up under the canopy was in a very sorry shape, which is why (I think) they are redoing that. But I am looking forward to a covered return area.
Looks like they're actually putting a booth in out there. Some of the structure was in place when I was there wednesday morning.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 11:52 am

Thursday 10PM
EA/ES pretty deserted - some small Jeeps, a Fusion SE, and a few Altimas.
Premium was all Maximas and one 300 (base). Paid upgrade had a 535i and nothing else of consequence.

Sunday 11AM
Typical DTW Sunday - loads of anything you might want available in the EA/ES. Standouts were a 2014 GC Limited w/Luxury Group, several 2014 Buick Lacrosses, and an Expedition EL. Paid upgrade had an Escalade, which I've never seen at this station before.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 8:27 am

Ill be traveling to DTW next week, May 6th this will be my first rental using the ES isle. Curious how much an upgrade would be if I found a luxury car that I liked?
Old Apr 30, 2014, 11:30 am

Tuesday 5PM
Wife's turn again, so relayed second hand here.
Fairly thin selection apparently
ES:
Camaro
Sonata (that smelled like smoke, this is way too common here)
several Malibu's
Impala Limited
Tiguan

EA:
Some of the Malibu's might have been here
Avenger

Tried to get her to take the Camaro just to try something different, but she ditzed around long enough that someone else grabbed it (apparently it was pretty busy with people showing up). Sonata smelled like smoke (National really needs to go after people violating the no-smoking rules). She asked about whether they might be able to find an Optima or Fusion for her, they did find an Optima but it had 30k miles on it so they didn't want her to take it, and then found a Fusion SE Ecoboost (15k miles, I didn't look when she had it home whether it was a 13 or 14). My wife's been pretty happy with the Fusions, so that worked.

Never seen a Fusion Titanium here.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by piper28
Tuesday 5PM
Wife's turn again, so relayed second hand here.
Fairly thin selection apparently
ES:
Camaro
Sonata (that smelled like smoke, this is way too common here)
several Malibu's
Impala Limited
Tiguan

EA:
Some of the Malibu's might have been here
Avenger

Tried to get her to take the Camaro just to try something different, but she ditzed around long enough that someone else grabbed it (apparently it was pretty busy with people showing up). Sonata smelled like smoke (National really needs to go after people violating the no-smoking rules). She asked about whether they might be able to find an Optima or Fusion for her, they did find an Optima but it had 30k miles on it so they didn't want her to take it, and then found a Fusion SE Ecoboost (15k miles, I didn't look when she had it home whether it was a 13 or 14). My wife's been pretty happy with the Fusions, so that worked.

Sounds like she did better this time! Didn't bring back a car smelling like smoke.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by piper28

Every time I'm there, there have been at least 5 or 6. Go figure!
Old May 22, 2014, 7:43 am

Wednesday 10PM

EA/ES: 90% Minivans (Town and Country, Grand Caravan)
Ford Explorer
2X Chrysler 300
Several full size pickups (Ram, F150)

Upgrade
'14 Suburban
'14 Cadillac SRX
'15 Tahoe
Old May 29, 2014, 8:24 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis President's Club
Thursday, 5/29 : 1600

Both Rental and Return now covered ; Rental has Executive Selection designation, but, no striping/designated spaces that I noticed...

1 x Verano
2 x Malibu
2 x Traverse (6K mi odo, CT plates, limited SXM (60 channel promotion through this weekend)
1 x Durango Limited
2+ x Journey
2+ x Ram1500
1 x Edge
1+ x F150
1 x Santa Fe
1 x Sonata
2 x Soul
1 x MX-5
3 x Murano

Can't complain about a GM vehicle of only 5K+ mileage having any type of SXM. That being said, some of my personal favorites are missing from the limited lineup : Backspin (46), Chill (53), Studio 54 (54), Bluesville (70), College Sports (91). Having to live with 70's, 80's, Bridge, First Wave, Watercolors.

That might be an interesting thread - what are your standard SXM presets/channels...maybe we could tell if a fellow National FTer had rented the vehicle immediately preceding . For me, it's (in order) Favorite 1 : 8, 46, 53, 66, 70, 91 ; Favorite 2 : 7, 9, 32, 33, 50, 54

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.