Cars at DTW

Old Jun 21, 2013, 1:59 pm
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
If they're not busy, you can always ask, and they'd probably oblige a VIP member. Probably not worth the time though, we all know that rental agency car washes leave much to be desired.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by Collin03
Im renting a car outta ORD Sunday and will be coming up to Detroit on June 25 but not dropping the car off. Ill just park at a valet at the airport. My question was can I goto DTW and get my rental washed for free? Im a Exec elite member and in process of becoming VIP
How does one get VIP?
Old Jun 21, 2013, 2:28 pm

Programs: Hertz PC,National EE,Hilton Diamond,Marriott Titanium, AS Gold 75K, DL Platinum
Originally Posted by Earthlings
How does one get VIP?
You can't attain by number of rentals or anything, its an invite only. You need to be an executive for your company. Hope that helps!
Old Jun 21, 2013, 8:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
Im renting a car outta ORD Sunday and will be coming up to Detroit on June 25 but not dropping the car off. Ill just park at a valet at the airport. My question was can I goto DTW and get my rental washed for free? Im a Exec elite member and in process of becoming VIP
You can't attain by number of rentals or anything, its an invite only. You need to be an executive for your company. Hope that helps!
Given the presumed socioeconomic status of VIPs, isn't it worth your time to spring for the car wash yourself when you gas up the car at your favorite gas station? For that matter, you could likely expense it without question, no?
Old Jun 21, 2013, 8:45 pm

Programs: Hertz PC,National EE,Hilton Diamond,Marriott Titanium, AS Gold 75K, DL Platinum
Yes I could for sure expense a car wash! Just thought since I was at the airport anyways mine as well. But gas station would be much faster!
Old Jun 28, 2013, 11:42 am

Thursday 8PM

EA/ES notables
3X Kia Optima hybrids
2X Terrain
1X Durango Crew
3X Silverado 1500 pickups

Premium
2X Accord
1X Legacy
1X Prius
3X Challenger
1X Legacy

Upgrade/VIP
'14 GC Limited w/V8
2X MKZ (1 2.0, 1 3.7)
1X Suburban
1X 300C
Old Jul 19, 2013, 2:40 pm

Thursday 10PM

EA/ES
1 Ram
1 Sonata Hybrid
1 Journey

Yes, that was it.

They pulled up a 2013 Taurus Limited (7500 mil, 301A package) onto the ES after I waited a little bit, ended up taking it.

Luxury
1 MKZ, 3.7L, base trim (in dirty stack)
1 200 Convertible

Premium
Empty

Just about the emptiest I've ever seen it here.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 7:22 am

Sunday 2PM

EA/ES
Packed, but did not get a chance to look around.
Standouts included several brand new 2014 Taurus Limiteds as well as a bunch of brand new Buick Encores.

Luxury/Paid Upgrade
GMC Acadia SLT
XC60 T6
S60 T5 AWD
Mercedes C300
Lincoln MKZ 3.7L

Interesting sightings in the return lanes
Dodge Durango R/T
3X Fusion Titaniums (2 with temporary plates, hopefully this means we can see more of these entering fleet service soon)
2X Jeep Wrangler (1 soft top, 1 hard top)
Old Aug 13, 2013, 8:36 pm

Monday 12pm

ES
Acadia
Journey
Yukon XL SLT
Suburban LT
Tahoe
Many small jeeps Compass/Patriot
1 2014 Silverado LT in ES and 1 in EA
Many regular full size cars impala/malibu/altima...
Old Aug 24, 2013, 1:45 pm

Friday, 8/23 1:00 PM

Premium
1x 2013 Taurus Limited, very well worn (that was it)

VIP/Upgrade
3x Challenger
1x S60
1X FX37
1X Town and Country

EA/ES
Lots of small Jeeps (Compass, Patriot, Liberty)
1X 2014 Genesis
Lots of 2013 Malibus, several LTZ trim
2013 Dodge Ram 2500 Heavy Duty w/5.7L Hemi (not the fleet standard 1500, I almost took it for pure amusement value!)

Was able to snag a 2014 Kia Cadenza with 2500 miles out of the dirty stack. Greeter remarked that she had never even seen one before at DTW but was more than happy to let me take it on a Premium res. Last renter definitely had a few cigarettes in it (grosse) but otherwise fine.

Last edited by dwbf11; Aug 26, 2013 at 7:28 am
Old Aug 26, 2013, 7:30 am

Sunday 8PM

VIP/Luxury
2X Challenger
Maxima
XTS
G37
300C
XC60
MKZ
1X '14 Impala LTZ (actually overheard greeters arguing about whether it should be put on the EA, because it was an "Impala" - LOL!)

EA/ES Notables
Passats
1X S60
1X '14 Impala LTZ
Small Jeeps, Altimas, etc.
2013 Ford F250 Super Duty Quad Cab (what's with all the commercial grade trucks lately?)
Old Sep 2, 2013, 9:26 pm

Friday before labor day at 630 PM.

It was one of the worst selections I have ever seen...

The EA ES aisles were just about empty. There were about 5-6 SUVs in the lot.

Exec aisle:

S60... just missed it and someone took it right before I got there.
300c
Passat
Malibu
Old Sep 3, 2013, 9:14 pm
Original Poster

As the O.P., **very nice** to see my ~7 year old thread still going strong.

I did my first rental with National in the first year or so here at DTW again.

I came in with an Intermediate reservation which had a double-upgrade coupon attached to it. I saw a Challenger sitting off to the side of the lot beyond the Emerald Isle clusterfrick and snagged it. Went to the counter to see if a SCAR (special / sporty?) car was okay to take away and the agent dismissed me without even looking at my reservation. No problem getting it past the check-out booth, except it took the woman there at least 15 minutes to figure out how to get a contract printed out (ya never know when an officer is going to ask to see that the car one is driving is a rental). Challenger was somewhat underpowered with a few minor dings (16K+ miles), but sure looked nice for my biz trip. So, a mix of good and unprofessional for my latest National @ DTW experience.

I'd rent with National more, but the crapshoot of what car one can drive off the lot with keeps me loyal to Hertz.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 1:54 am

Programs: AM Plat, UA Plat, AA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Amex Plat
Hey guys!

I'm looking at a one-way rental to Chicago from DTW.

My question is - based on what you've seen, am I likely to get away with a full-size pickup or Tahoe / Suburban / something big like that as an Emerald member, or would it be worth it to spring up the $59 for the MilePoint membership that gives you a year of Executive status? (I'd prob. use it again). I'd be renting on Sunday, late Sept, around 10am.

BTW also, I'm getting a quote of $200 with taxes etc for one day rental intermediate, but no one-way fee. Wouldn't budge with coupons (Flying Blue one sent it soaring!) - any suggestions welcome!

Thanks a lot! I was quite encouraged to read how often these full size utes come up on your past posts.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 7:09 am

That's National's normal retail one-way price for most corporate locations nationwide. National tends to not give $ off coupons for daily rentals, only weekly. Unless you have a free day, or a corporate rate with different terms, there's not much you can do about it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.