Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at PHX (Phoenix Airport)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2022, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by jaydreb
Never used ES before. What are the chances of getting a small or mid-size SUV? Or am I better off just reserving this type of vehicle directly (slightly more $$)?
Your chances are really good. I can't even remember a time when there wasn't a small or midsize SUV on the aisle. RAV4s are super common. If it's not that much more you could just reserve an SUV but I really think you won't have a problem. You can also ask an employee if there isn't one there. I've had pretty good luck getting specific sized cars from asking.
Auto Enthusiast and Ordpc like this.
Old Mar 8, 2022, 9:32 pm

Programs: US Airways Div. Miles Silver Preferred
Originally Posted by rsl_sltid
Your chances are really good. I can't even remember a time when there wasn't a small or midsize SUV on the aisle. RAV4s are super common. If it's not that much more you could just reserve an SUV but I really think you won't have a problem. You can also ask an employee if there isn't one there. I've had pretty good luck getting specific sized cars from asking.
Thanks. I appreciate the reply.
Ordpc likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 12:45 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat; WoH Exp; AS Gold; AA Plat
Setting expectations for one-way rental in April

As an executive elite with a PCAR reservation in early April, I am looking for recent experiences of some of the more seasoned FTers familiar with National options at PHX -
  1. Are vehicle selections for one-way rentals limited by this location? Or is anything in ES or EA fair game?
  2. My preference would be a 4x4 or all-wheel drive vehicle, but a 2-wd SUV that seats 5 comfortably would suffice too - which mid/large SUV models are most common in ES here?
  3. Hoping the stars align, but curious as to what' some of the rarer luxurious SUV options that you've come across in the ES aisle?
I have a back-up reservation for a std SUV in the event that EA/ES options don't pan out.

Thanks in advance
Old Mar 10, 2022, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by arfaczar
As an executive elite with a PCAR reservation in early April, I am looking for recent experiences of some of the more seasoned FTers familiar with National options at PHX -
  1. Are vehicle selections for one-way rentals limited by this location? Or is anything in ES or EA fair game?
  2. My preference would be a 4x4 or all-wheel drive vehicle, but a 2-wd SUV that seats 5 comfortably would suffice too - which mid/large SUV models are most common in ES here?
  3. Hoping the stars align, but curious as to what' some of the rarer luxurious SUV options that you've come across in the ES aisle?
I have a back-up reservation for a std SUV in the event that EA/ES options don't pan out.

Thanks in advance
Early April is tough between spring break and spring training, but you should at the very least find a few 5-seat SUVs. There could be some larger 7 seat models but I think the chances of an actual 4x4 SUV are pretty slim. It isn't unusual to find a QX80, QX60, XC90 and the like for nicer large SUVs, but you are going at high season. I'd have a backup reservation just in case.

And anything from the aisles is fair game for one-ways.
Auto Enthusiast, kxc262 and Ordpc like this.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by slariz
Early April is tough between spring break and spring training, but you should at the very least find a few 5-seat SUVs. There could be some larger 7 seat models but I think the chances of an actual 4x4 SUV are pretty slim. It isn't unusual to find a QX80, QX60, XC90 and the like for nicer large SUVs, but you are going at high season. I'd have a backup reservation just in case.

And anything from the aisles is fair game for one-ways.
Good point - spring training wraps up later (in March) than normal this year. I do have a Ford Edge (meh) or sim booked as a back-up.

QX80 and XC90 would be nice for a long road trip. Someone's post from a few months ago, mentioned a rare Range Rover Velar, which would be a welcome miracle ;-)

But seriously, my criteria should be (in order of importance):
  1. Mid-size (or larger)
  2. 6 or 8 cylinder engine
  3. All-wheel drive
  4. Comfortable lux seats
  5. Nav, XM, etc.
Curious about strategies that others have used.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 4:49 pm

Good point - spring training wraps up later (in March) than normal this year. I do have a Ford Edge (meh) or sim booked as a back-up.

QX80 and XC90 would be nice for a long road trip. Someone's post from a few months ago, mentioned a rare Range Rover Velar, which would be a welcome miracle ;-)

1. Mid-size (or larger)
  3. All-wheel drive
  4. Comfortable lux seats
  5. Nav, XM, etc.
I've noticed and others seem to have also in different locations that National has bought a lot of Grand Cherokee Limiteds (old bodystyle but still nice) which would check a lot of your boxes with a 6 cylinder, leather, sunroof, etc. Not familiar with what Phoenix might have, but they seem to be pretty prevalent throughout the country.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by mmo1184
I've noticed and others seem to have also in different locations that National has bought a lot of Grand Cherokee Limiteds (old bodystyle but still nice) which would check a lot of your boxes with a 6 cylinder, leather, sunroof, etc. Not familiar with what Phoenix might have, but they seem to be pretty prevalent throughout the country.
Thanks for that tip. I'll keep an eye out for the Grand Cherokees.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 11:10 pm

1. Mid-size (or larger)
  3. All-wheel drive
  4. Comfortable lux seats
  5. Nav, XM, etc.
Not many strategies to be had! You either pick something they have (luck of the draw) or use your SUV reservation - if you want something specific, you have to reserve it ahead of time! You can always ask nicely of the greeter, mentioning your status, but that's very much YMMV.
Auto Enthusiast, kxc262 and Ordpc like this.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 9:38 am

Programs: National EE, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond, AC 50K
I have uploaded a quick tour of the National aisles at PHX here. There was a Grand Cherokee at around 3:50 in the aisle at the time but it had no key. Also a Wagoneer in the Luxury section near the beginning of the aisle tour.

dirtnap101, AEM7AC, xienon and 9 others like this.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by turbov6
I have uploaded a quick tour of the National aisles at PHX here. There was a Grand Cherokee at around 3:50 in the aisle at the time but it had no key. Also a Wagoneer in the Luxury section near the beginning of the aisle tour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow6dRXM_fp4
Thanks for the Video upload. There were signs indicating "Emerald Club VIP" - is that considered Executive Selection?

A Nissan Armada is in the Luxury section, while an Infiniti QX80 is in the VIP aisle - that seems counter-intuitive.
turbov6 and Ordpc like this.

Last edited by arfaczar; Mar 21, 2022 at 3:01 pm
Old Mar 22, 2022, 5:28 am

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Thanks for the Video upload. There were signs indicating "Emerald Club VIP" - is that considered Executive Selection?
nope not exec.
Ordpc likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 10:08 am

Programs: National EE, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond, AC 50K
VIP is different than Executive selection. I have seen the odd car set aside at some locations for a VIP member but never an entire section like this.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by turbov6
VIP is different than Executive selection. I have seen the odd car set aside at some locations for a VIP member but never an entire section like this.
Maybe it's 3 aisles for the 3 tiers of Emerald Club members?
Emerald Aisle access for regular members
Executive Selection access for Executive members
VIP Selection for Executive Elite members
turbov6 likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 4:43 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Maybe it's 3 aisles for the 3 tiers of Emerald Club members?
Emerald Aisle access for regular members
Executive Selection access for Executive members
VIP Selection for Executive Elite members
ES is for both Executive and EE members.
VIP is invitation only.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 8:07 pm

Programs: DL GM, MR Gold, Hilton Gold, National Exec
3/22 around 7am, only peered around ES. Asked for a full size SUV but was told they were all reserved. Not surprised I guess with spring break/training going on.

Pacificas
Chargers
Cherokees
Ram 1500s
Equinox
1 challenger
1 Audi Q3
Lots of full size sedans

​​​​​
Ordpc likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.