Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at PHX (Phoenix Airport)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2019, 8:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat; Air Canada E75K; Westjet Platinum
Do you typically see Minivans at the Executive Aisle? I want to redeem free rental days and need a Minivan. Should I just reserve a Minivan when redeeming over the phone to avoid disappointment when I show up? When redeeming free days, do they allow one way rental at no extra cost? ex., pick up at PHX and return at LAS?
Old Apr 30, 2019, 10:09 am

Yes, but not for minivans. You can redeem up to midsize/ Emerald Aisle for regular members, up to full size/ Executive Aisle for Executive, and up to large SUVs for Executive Elite. If a minivan by random chance happens to be on the aisle, you can take it as a free upgrade, like usual.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 11:42 am

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
I reserved a minivan in early March and when I arrived they had to go off somewhere to retrieve one for me. I didn't noticed any available to pick and there were a couple of reps waiting to help customers out. Once I told them I had a van reserved they had me wait and brought one to me. Whenever I need a van, I reserve a van.
SoroSuub1 likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 1:47 pm

Yes, but the question asked was needing a van and wanting to redeem free days. Vans are not covered by free days. They used to be, for Executive Elite. National stopped it when a lot of very expensive long distance one-way minivans were being redeemed for free.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 7:17 pm

Thanks for the reply. I am Executive Elite. I must have lucked out as I just redeemed 6 days and was able to reserve a Minivan. It allowed me to book anything from compact up to Premium SUV like an Infiniti Q90. I tried to redeem online with a pick up at PHX drop off at LAS. All looked good - base rate zeroed out - except when I looked at the pricing breakdown, it DID NOT include any mileage at all. It says 0.33 per mile !!!! Wow I am glad I looked carefully, would have been ugly. Very ugly bill. On the redemption page, there is a pull down box that you can select number of free days right next to pick up date / drop off date. The pull down only has 1-7 days. Is that all I could redeem in one reservation - 7 free days? What would I need to do if I want to redeem like 14 days?
Old May 1, 2019, 8:32 am

For redemptions longer than 7 days, you would need another reservation. Ex, one-way to another city along your route.

The one-way mileage charges are usually associated with a default company contract code. Switch to the generic Emerald Club ID to get the standard unlimited miles.
Old May 1, 2019, 9:07 am

Ha, you are right AE, I have my company contract ID attached which may have been the reason for NO mileage included for the one way redemption. Good to know for future that redemption includes one way rental, unlimited mileage, and need to book 2 separate 7 day reservation for a 14 day redemption. Learned a lot here. Thanks AE and Birdie.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old May 18, 2019, 3:28 pm

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
Originally Posted by Sunny Day
Ha, you are right AE, I have my company contract ID attached which may have been the reason for NO mileage included for the one way redemption. Good to know for future that redemption includes one way rental, unlimited mileage, and need to book 2 separate 7 day reservation for a 14 day redemption. Learned a lot here. Thanks AE and Birdie.
this just happened to me PDX to SEattle downtown. Had no idea one ways did not include mileage. Wish this post had come up before I rented
Old Jun 4, 2019, 7:15 pm

Muscle cars phx

I was at PHX a week ago and booked for a midsize car via National Emerald Club. Many times from what I've seen you can book whatever level vehicle and you can choose any without paying more. At LAX I've seen Camrys and Altimas which were in the Emtalde Isle and I was able to choose them but at midsized rate. Have things changed?

At PHX they literally had the smaller cars like Kia, Hyundai and tiny Chevys littering the garage. I wasn't down for that and so I saw Dodge Challenger Hemis up front when walking in. After seeing my choices I asked the lady at the canopy what i could rent the Dodge for and she checked with her manager and it was $30/day. For a week rental that was too high for me. Anyone have experience negotiating a better price? When I was in OC a rental employee was practically begging me to take a Camero. I walked away twice then he came down to a $40 charge for entire rental. I couldn't pass that up but that may have been Avis or Hertz and not National.

Anyone get a consistently great price on the higher end sports cars? With gas prices I was expecting a deal at PHX.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Two pathetic experiences here in a row. Absolute garbage in the Executive Aisle. Kias, Hyundais, Chevys, Altimas, Jeeps. Took a Challenger the first time. Garbage. Rav 4 the second. Would have been an okay choice in the Emerald Aisle. But Executive???

Staff hiding out to avoid wrath of customers.
Wow, finally a car rental "enthusiast" out there!

I completely agree with your sentiment, how are Kias. Hyundais, Chevys, Altimas and Jeeps considered Exec???? I tried to get one of the 2 white Challengers they had up front but the mgr wanted an extra $30/day on top of my $480 mid size reservation.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 12:53 am

I once came around 1am, and there was just 1 attendant. He was busy with his video on the phone, so he just told me to pick any car that I liked, pulled up a 4-series convertible from the reserved area and he said: good choice. He charged me as a full-size reservation. Guess I was really lucky.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 1:07 am

Originally Posted by Sunny Day
It allowed me to book anything from compact up to Premium SUV like an Infiniti Q90.
What is a Q90?
Old Jun 14, 2019, 7:46 am
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
Originally Posted by s0ssos
What is a Q90?
The largest Infiniti SUV is the QX80 - maybe that's what is being referred to?
Old Jul 10, 2019, 5:34 pm

Anyone ever see minivans in PHX in the summer? I usually rent in Cleveland and half the Emerald Aisle is minivans, lol.
Thanks!
Old Jul 13, 2019, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dbarkman
Anyone ever see minivans in PHX in the summer? I usually rent in Cleveland and half the Emerald Aisle is minivans, lol.
Thanks!
Yes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.