Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at PHX (Phoenix Airport)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2008, 10:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
Sorry I missed you - I was running late and forgot to ask for you! (I'll be there 2-3 more times this year, though...)

I ended up with the lone Trailblazer LT - there were about a half dozen Highlanders there and a bunch of compact SUVs. but the LT barely has enough headroom for me when it has a sunroof, and the Highlander is shorter. I didn't see any SUVs in the executive aisle, so I was more than happy. Except, of course, for the 50% taxes and fees on the discounted base rate.

Next time out, the full-size is much cheaper - I guess because I'm reserving Sat-Fri instead of Sun-Fri - so we'll see how it goes.
Ya...taxes and fees in Phx aren't cheap but we aren't the highest either. Hard to believe but true. Glad you found something you could fit in. I didn't notice before you are from Chicago area...I'm from Illinois originally. Old Homies! LOL
Well if you find yourself with more time next time through, come by the counter to say Hello!...but you getting on your way is much more important than I am. I'm always happy to help out with info as everyone knows. Let me know if I can help and if I don't know the answer I try to find it. I can't speak for all locations but I've been in Phx a LONG time (over 10 years) so here I'm more help.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 8:45 pm

Paminaz, how's thing in PHX?
I hope there is no car shortage at PHX.
At JFK, the lot is almost empty except minivans in the ES section.
I hope I'll get a nice car to Grand Canyon on this Friday.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 9:17 pm
Suspended

Cars have been TIGHT as three sizes too small pantyhose in PHX the past two days but by Friday you should have a great selection. Fridays are plentiful!
I'm not working so that I can say Hello (darn-it) but I hope you enjoy your trip!
Be sure to grab a meal before you leave town if you are heading north-ward as soon as you pick up your car. Lovely view for your drive but Eats are scarce once you leave town. And be sure to pick up a cheap cooler and load up with some waters and snacks in case there are any freeway mis-haps on the way up and you get stuck on the road during the drive up. Fridays are a busy drive up north as everyone leaves town to drive up north to their cabins or whatever and I-17 is almost the only way to Sedona and Flagstaff. Quickest way anyhow.
If you booked something larger than a Mid-size and are set for Emerald Reserve service, be sure to tell the Customer Service Greeters in the Garage on Level two the size you are booked in and they will guide you to the appropriate vehicle area.
Enjoy!
Old Sep 17, 2008, 6:22 am

Thanks for the great advice about cooler.
Traffic going up north is okay, but not when I return to PHX on Thursday from Sedona trying to catch a 11am flight.
I have a full size booked and hopefully there will be great selection at the Executive section.
Old Sep 17, 2008, 8:46 am
Suspended

Selection should be just fine. On a Friday you never know what you might find.
Be sure to arrive back in PHX at the Rental Center at least two hours before your flight so your timing with check in at Sky Harbor works well. They board early over there to keep things on time.

Hope you enjoy your trip!
Old Sep 19, 2008, 6:02 pm

Programs: UA, bmi, AA, CO, DL, B6, AMEX, Hertz, Most Hotels
Are RagTops the Norm for the PHX EA?

Originally Posted by noirpepper
Late September there were numerous convertibles available. Was a great selection for my visit!
I have a week long trip coming up in mid Oct and if a convertible was an EA option that would sure save me some $$$ over booking that specific car class
Old Sep 20, 2008, 12:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bk3day
I have a week long trip coming up in mid Oct and if a convertible was an EA option that would sure save me some $$$ over booking that specific car class
October gets to be a Hot time for Ragtops...as the weather gets cooler in PHX and the demand for them gets higher. To be honest with you I really would not count on finding them in the EA at that time.
Old Sep 20, 2008, 8:37 pm

Programs: UA, bmi, AA, CO, DL, B6, AMEX, Hertz, Most Hotels
about those ragtops

thanks for the insight

I figured that was the case but ya can't blame a gal for wishin i was mistaken
Old Sep 28, 2008, 4:05 pm

Hey Pam,

Generally, what size is a standard class car? I know it says Monte Carlo, but I rarely see any Monte Carlos actually in the lots.

I find it tricky when a coupon promises a "free 2 car-class upgrade" because it goes from Compact to Mid-size to Standard, rather than Compact to Full-Size. Furthermore, the standard class doesn't appear to be a bookable class on National's website.
Old Sep 28, 2008, 10:00 pm
Suspended

Ya...Standard is that class that's fading...that's' why you can't book it.

Standard was the Full Size Two Door...but since the auto makers don't really make many of those anymore they get put with the Full Size cars.
When there are Solaras or Mustangs they can usually be found in Full Size Land.

If you booked the Mid size with a two car class upgrade coupon, you'll get to choose from the Full Size Area...Impala, Grand Prix, Malibu, Camry, Altima, Fusion, Charger, etc. That's the majority of what we have right now here in PHX. There are a few other things around as well but unless we're tight and assigning cars, you'll get to chose when you arrive...like normal.
Old Sep 28, 2008, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by Paminaz
If you booked the Mid size with a two car class upgrade coupon, you'll get to choose from the Full Size Area...Impala, Grand Prix, Malibu, Camry, Altima, Fusion, Charger, etc. That's the majority of what we have right now here in PHX. There are a few other things around as well but unless we're tight and assigning cars, you'll get to chose when you arrive...like normal.
Hmm, I was looking at the receipt from my last rental, and the Charger shows up as a "specialty intermediate"? I assume that's the same as full size?
Old Sep 28, 2008, 11:45 pm
Suspended

It's classed "funky" in the system...it's Full Size. But it's a specialty...as it's more like a sports car.
There are over 400 car classes. We see new codes pop up all the time for the new vehicle coming out by the auto makers.
Old Oct 19, 2008, 3:48 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis First, Thrifty Bluechip
Premium/Luxury

Hey Pam,

I see you're the resident PHX expert. My girlfriend and I might come down to Arizona for a holiday in the near future. I was wondering what I might score for a Premium or Luxury class? Thanks!
Old Oct 19, 2008, 7:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Tuneman1984
Hey Pam,

I see you're the resident PHX expert. My girlfriend and I might come down to Arizona for a holiday in the near future. I was wondering what I might score for a Premium or Luxury class? Thanks!
Well Expert...that's generous...

In PHX...we have in the Premium line...
Maximas, Avalons, Chry 300s, Volvo S60s

Luxury...it's in a state of flux right now as the 08's are going out and we are awaiting the new 09's... Might be a CTS, DTS, maybe an M35 and once and a while a SRX. The Luxury's get sold out quite fast as we don't have many in the fleet right now.

Book as far in advance as you can...to get the best rate and to get a car. It's starting to get busier with our weather getting better. First weekend in Nov is Nascar and cars will all sell out. I don't know when you are coming but I thought I'd toss that note in just in case.

Hope to see you here!
P.
Old Oct 25, 2008, 1:35 am

Programs: ual 1k, marriott platinum
I was apprehensive moving from avis to national in July but have been pleasantly surprised. That being said the only time I had a problem when I arrived late was at phx. All they had was minivans, pickups and a nissan sentra. In fairness it was late in the evening. Go national.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.