Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Drat. No More XM Cars

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2005, 6:32 pm

The last two times I have rented from the Aisle at RSW they had XM cars ... got a G6 the first time and a Malibu Maxx this week.

I listen to mostly channel 202 and a couple others ... listen to them everyday when I am in my own car and really missed it when I had to rent and was stuck with normal radio. Thanks to National for bringing XM to the aisle :-).
Old Oct 5, 2005, 6:47 pm

Programs: USAir Gold, HHonors Diamond, PCPlatinum, Hertz Pres. Circle, National Exec. Elite
Den

In Denver this week and saw several XM radio'd cars, but they must have run out of full size in the executive aisle because they were putting convertibles and premiums in... I had a choice of a LeSabre, Grand Prix or Impala with XM or a convertible PT Cruiser Turbo. I figured there wouldn't be too many more warm days in Colorado this year so I got the PT.

Got the shaft last weekend in Phoenix though. Grabbed a Monte Carlo with an XM antenna (weekend trip to the Grand Canyon, I figured "Oh hell yes") and it had no subscription. So I put the keys back in the door and grabbed an Impala with an XM antenna. Again no subscription. Settled for a GTP with a sunroof. Actually got an XM Monte Carlo in Oklahoma City, but it wasn't in the Exec Aisle, had to scan the regular full size cars for the antenna. Got lucky in El Paso with an XM Rendevous as well.

In summary, I think maybe it's just luck of the draw. DEN, PHX, ABQ almost always have the G6/Rendevous and usually have XM, but as you can imagine, they're the first to go off the lot. Get there late Monday morning and they're gone.

Kind of off topic, but is anyone else a little pissed when National passes off an Altima with the 4 cyl engine as a full-size?
Old Oct 6, 2005, 1:08 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
Oh, yeah..

Kind of off topic, but is anyone else a little pissed when National passes off an Altima with the 4 cyl engine as a full-size?

That's standard operating procedure in PIA. Contract location and they'll dump a Sentra on you as a full sized in a second.
Old Oct 6, 2005, 3:42 pm

Cars with XM were recently available at DFW
Old Oct 6, 2005, 10:58 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Avis Rock Star
Originally Posted by dd992emo

That's standard operating procedure in PIA. Contract location and they'll dump a Sentra on you as a full sized in a second.
Learned my lesson on that one. They did that at ORD and I made it all of 1 mile on 294N b4 I turned around and took it back. Haven't seen one since IIRC.
Old Oct 8, 2005, 6:21 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
PHX is a franchise location, which is probably why none of the cars in the fleet there have an XM subscription.
Old Oct 18, 2005, 3:01 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
XM cars

Got to the counter at SDF this morning and asked if they had any XM cars. She said it's my lucky day, because the answer is usually no. Got an Impala LTZ with leather and XM. Nice little ride. Haven't heard the Comedy Channel in so long I almost wrecked it a couple of times...
Old Oct 18, 2005, 5:05 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Surprised to find several XM Le Sabres in the ES at LAX yesterday.
Old Oct 18, 2005, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
I found Pontiac Grand Prix that had the XM at the LAX ES last Thursday. There was several Impalas with the XM too. I didn't notice the Grand Prix first and thus asked from the ES attendant to see if they had just received some returns in.
Old Oct 18, 2005, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
I managed to find a very new Rendezvous at ATL yesterday with XM. It was hidden behind a parked National shuttle bus and I didn't see it until I was sitting in a Trailblazer I was about to drive off. The Rendezvous, and one other car, were hidden from view of the rest of the Executive area by this bus. But there it was, and I could see the XM antenna from 200 feet away. I quickly grabbed my bags, and quickly started in that direction, as I could tell a guy in another car three or four spots away had seen it as well. But I was closer, and faster getting my bags, and was inside the Rendezvous before he was even halfway there. And this was a great week for me to have this car, as I have a 200 mile drive between the airport and client each way.
Old Oct 19, 2005, 1:51 pm

Programs: HHonors-Diamond, SPG-Platinum, Marriott-Platinum,NW-Plat
Angry

have a buick in cleveland this week.. the only one on the lot.. and only car with xm.

GRRR
Old Oct 22, 2005, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
Based on recent experience, it seems like National has a lot of cars with XM. I do manage to get them about 75% of the time, and I rent every week and many weekends from them. Usually there aren't many on the lot though. I think it's a case of everyone looking for the XM cars and taking them first, because IMO those with XM also have a lot of other nice features, like leather. It may just simply be an issue that the XM cars are harder to find because they're the first picked and don't sit on the lot as long.

And yesterday afternoon at IAH, I saw at least four cars on the executive aisle with XM, including the Lacrosse that I chose.
Old Feb 4, 2006, 1:02 am

Bumping an old thread with a report from DEN. No cars with XM on Emerald Aisle...
Old Feb 4, 2006, 1:20 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Yet XM cars are showing up more frequently in Calif. locations in both Exec. selection and/or E. Aisle: SAN, ONT, LAX. One National staffer told me recently that deliveries of new vehicles are cyclical re XM, sometimes the location will get none with XM, othertimes, several.
Old Feb 5, 2006, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

Few And Far Between, Hidden Away From the Emerald Club-bers

Just concluded a one-week rental @SAN. Arrived on a SAT. Lot was full. Aisle was filled with non-XM cars, including some SUVs and minivans. Did find two dreaded horrid ugly scary evil Malibu Maxx station-wagon-wanna-be's (one puke green, the other a weirdish yellow-orange). My reservation was for Executive Selection. Not an XM in the bunch. Twenty cars. Not XM in any of them. I wandered over to the regular fullsize aisle and found 2 Grand Prixs with XM. Chose the white one with 8000 miles and spent the next week puuting on 1500 miles while listening in pleasure.

I had made backup reservations for $30 less @Alamo ($155 vs $135 all in) and also @Dollar ($122 all-in, but for COMPACT, though I generally get upgraded to midsize). Had I not found an XM, I would have re-boarded the bus and gone for one of the other options.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.