Questionable thing to do

Old Feb 14, 2024, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: National Executive, Marriott Silver Elite
Questionable thing to do

In my experience with Emerald Reserve, is that it operates pretty similar to selecting from ES and EA - except that usually you will have less selection and more specific to what you reserved. However, any type of car really can be found in ES or EA if you're lucky enough, right? What if (this is just in theory) you reserved a more specific car class that you wanted, but also had a reservation for executive selection. You arrive and say I have reservation for ______ (luxury, midsize SUV, midsize elite, etc), they find you the car in that class and hand you the keys and you can go to the gate and get everything checked out. What if (IN THEORY), you cancel your emerald reserve and then checkout at the gate using your executive selection reservation?

What are people's thoughts and feelings?? Do you think this is fraudulent? Think it is a viable thing to do? I only ask this because every time I've done Emerald Reserve, they end up just telling me to pick something from the ES or EA section anyways so there is no way they would know if it came from Emerald Reserve or not. Granted, I have only done emerald reserve up to full size elite which is pretty possible to find on ES. I think this would easily go unnoticed with classes up to that or even full size SUV, but maybe Premium Full Size SUV, or Luxury SUV and you pull up to the booth with a Q7/Defender/Suburban (I rarely see these on ES) it would maybe be suspicious. I don't mind the slight price increase for the guarantee of an A4 or 3 series, but I couldn't imagine showing up after reserving a luxury SUV (which I feel like is typically a much more of a price hike), and having to take a QX80 from ES anyways.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 9:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I'm not 100% sure I'm following, but is the example this:

- You book Executive Reserve for a Luxury SUV for, say, $120/day.
- You also book a standard Exec Select rental for, say, $40/day.

The luxury SUV you want isn't on the ES aisle. You get it from the Luxury SUV section or from an agent.

Then you cancel the $120/day rental and hope you can exit with the $40/day rental.

My thought would be that locations generally know what they have on the ES and EA aisles. I mean, maybe not precisely, but they'd have an idea of they're putting QX40's there. And I'd feel wrong taking a car from anywhere outside the ES/EA (and clearly a big upgrade from what's there) and trying to pass it off as ES/EA.

Now if I have the two bookings and legitimately find something I like on the ES and take that, then I don't see a big issue in canceling the expensive rental. Granted, some people would still have an issue with the double booking but to me that's less of a crime against your fellow renters than snagging cars that aren't intended for ES/EA.
aovus and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: National Executive, Marriott Silver Elite
You are getting what Im trying to say, trying to pass a $120/day booking as a $40/day ES booking is a good way to put it. But yeah, I feel the same way with you I wouldnt feel right trying to pass off a much more expensive rate for a ES booking. However, in my experience of half using National for work and other half using for leisure, the booth attendants usually just want to get you out if theyre busy. I think my thought is that from now on if I decide to use emerald reserve, Ill probably double book an ES with whatever class of car Im hoping to get. In the case that whatever I get is on the ES/EA Ill probably cancel my emerald reserve. However, I truly think the majority of rentals using emerald reserve, unless they are bone dry in the ES and EA where they know whats there or it is super slow in which they are paying more attention, they will probably shrug it off and just believe that you got it from EA. I just dont like having to pay a premium, if my reservation just ends up being whatever is on the aisle anyways.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 2:57 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List Preferred / CP holder, National Exec Elite, Enterprise Gold
Yes I have wondered this as well. However in the handful of instances that Ive actually reserved a specific car class, the agent helping me has ALWAYS radioed to the exit booth agents letting them know Im coming.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 6:48 pm

Unless you are in YYZ, where one of the agents would accuse you of self upgrading even though you took the car from ES /s

If you look at the emailed rental agreement you receive at the gate, it shows a bay and stall number. For aisle vehicle it always seem to be empty or a generic number, and for reserved vehicles most of the time it shows something different than ES vehicles. I am assuming each location has its way of telling where the vehicle is coming from, and how far you go from there probably depends on the agent at the gate

Another point I want to add is that most of us here have status, which in most cases translate to giving us the benefit of doubt. I had a co-worker with no prior rental records questioned at a airport location checkout gate for proof of current employment (not just the badge, but like a current paystub or a email from company domain) and repriced him, told him to "bring proof to get rates readjusted when you return the vehicle", and I have never got such question at any airport locations.

Last edited by hourglass; Feb 14, 2024 at 7:05 pm
Old Feb 15, 2024, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by aovus
What are people's thoughts and feelings?? Do you think this is fraudulent? Think it is a viable thing to do?
Same as switching the price sticker at a grocery store. Not cool at all. Intent to defraud.

Originally Posted by aovus
Ievery time I've done Emerald Reserve, they end up just telling me to pick something from the ES or EA section
I will have no problem updating my reservation to a midsize (EA/ES) class before checking out in this case.

If you absolutely need a specific class, book it.
Otherwise, just book midsize and ask nicely if you don't see anything in the aisle that you like.
My most recent visit at Denver, the manager pulled up a Q7 for me. LAX staff found me a GLC300. Another time the Denver lot was bare bones, and the staff radioed the back and pulled up a Cadillac XT6.

Don't abuse the lax enforcement and make National having to tighten the rules.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by hourglass
Unless you are in YYZ, where one of the agents would accuse you of self upgrading even though you took the car from ES /s

If you look at the emailed rental agreement you receive at the gate, it shows a bay and stall number. For aisle vehicle it always seem to be empty or a generic number, and for reserved vehicles most of the time it shows something different than ES vehicles. I am assuming each location has its way of telling where the vehicle is coming from, and how far you go from there probably depends on the agent at the gate

Another point I want to add is that most of us here have status, which in most cases translate to giving us the benefit of doubt. I had a co-worker with no prior rental records questioned at a airport location checkout gate for proof of current employment (not just the badge, but like a current paystub or a email from company domain) and repriced him, told him to "bring proof to get rates readjusted when you return the vehicle", and I have never got such question at any airport locations.
Speaking of YYZ, I have seen agents there walk along ES and scan every car parked in ES so I assume they have a way of knowing where cars come from. At other airports, the hang tag will show where the car came from. I believe even without the hang tag the agents have a way of knowing where the car comes from and they probably have a good idea of if expensive nice cars were parked on the aisle.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.