Multiple Reservations

Old Aug 28, 2023, 4:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, National EE, Avis PC, HH Gold, IHG P
Multiple Reservations

Hi All:

I've read some of you saying you have a back up reservation in case the aisle is not looking good. I'm wondering how you hold multiple reservations like that up until the last moment, unless I mis understood the discussion/lingo.

Thanks!!
Old Aug 28, 2023, 9:43 am

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
I’ve done it a couple of times by accident (getting a better price and forgetting to cancel original booking). Nothing happened. The error is usually because of the way National displays (or not) reservations which is irritating. Even when one clicks on “all upcoming trips), if there are several bookings sometimes they don’t all show. Someone up thread suggested if this habitual then one might have a problem. Makes sense.

I had a situation a couple of years ago with an airport reservation (National) and an in-town booking (Enterprise). The latter called 3 days before to confirm (left vmail). They were to have picked me up at home. Despite multiple attempts to reach the local office as well as getting a message sent via central res, not successful. I was a no-show. So much for customer service.
Old Aug 28, 2023, 9:50 am
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
Pretty simple - just make two reservations, then open the app before you leave the lot and cancel the one you aren't using. Always helps to make the reservations a bit later than you actually intend to arrive, just to allow for them to still be canceled in the app.
m907 and Derekk like this.
Old Aug 28, 2023, 11:34 am

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Originally Posted by dwbf11
Pretty simple - just make two reservations, then open the app before you leave the lot and cancel the one you aren't using. Always helps to make the reservations a bit later than you actually intend to arrive, just to allow for them to still be canceled in the app.

Unless, of course, the res you need is close to closing time of the office. I tried that once but it didnt work. Couldnt access the booking. When I pointed it out at the desk, they explained the other res had already been lifted by them and printed off. Not sure why this made a difference but it did.

I dont always have data that would allow me to use my device to access the app. Depends on which country Im in.
Old Aug 28, 2023, 1:55 pm

I have two reservations because I'm not sure what we will need. We have a minivan reservation but also an EA midsize reservation in case we need to split into two cars (in which case another member of our party would book one car and I would book another). I was surprised National let me make duplicates, but their app even asked what portions of my first reservation I wanted to replicate.
Old Aug 29, 2023, 2:39 am
Original Poster

Ok, I feel really dumb now. I was thinking the other res was with another rental. I didn't think you could make 2 res so close together. I'm with you guys now...

I appreciate the response everyone.
Old Aug 29, 2023, 2:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dwbf11
How much later? Sorry, bear with me.

thanks!
Old Aug 29, 2023, 1:07 pm
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
Originally Posted by magic_flyer
How much later? Sorry, bear with me.

thanks!
In the past I would usually stage them 30 mins or an hour apart, and almost always 1-2 hours later than when I actually arrive.
Old Sep 5, 2023, 2:13 am
Original Poster

Little delayed, but just wanted to say thanks again.
Old Sep 6, 2023, 4:31 am
Original Poster

Hi again:

This post is related to my orig post so I'm going to continue it vs. starting a new one.

Ok, so I have an upcoming trip in a few weeks and I made 2 reservations. #1: Full Size and, #2: Luxury.

This is my first time renting from National, if that matters. When I made res #1, my arrival directions said to go to the rental counter. After I made res #2, it said bypass the rental counter. I'm not sure whether I should go to the counter or not. And If I do go to the counter, wouldn't they question res #2, and what would I say? Has anyone been in this situation? I need suggestions please.

The difference between the 2 res were $31 so I thought it was a no brainer to go Luxury as the "backup". I want a RAV4 at the very least, but really want a nice SUV, I'm thinking X3/X5. I'm renting from PDX if that matters.

Thanks!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.