Search

Ride Report: 2021 Mercedes-Benz GLC300

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2022, 8:45 pm
Moderator: National Car
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
Ride Report: 2021 Mercedes-Benz GLC300

I recently had a chance to sample this Mercedes-Benz GLC300 on a recent rental out of LAX. Found on the Executive Selection, it had just over 15,000 miles on the odometer at pickup. The GLC is classified as a UFAR, or Premium Elite SUV. Other vehicles in this class include the Volvo XC60, BMW X3, Alfa Romeo Stelvio, and Audi Q5.

This example was finished in Polar White over Silk Beige/Black interior, with the natural grain ash wood trim / aluminum trim pairing. National ordered this particular model in base trim (this one did not have 4MATIC All-Wheel-Drive and was thus RWD only). Nonetheless there is a great amount of kit included with this even from the base model, including LED front/rear headlights, a large 10.25" screen with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, heated MB-Tex (fake leather) seating, multi-way powered front seats (driver's seat with adjustable lumbar and adjustable thigh bolster - nice!), blind spot monitoring, a split folding rear seat, a load cover, and other features. Fleet purchasing also ticked the box for the "Parking Assist Package" ($+1290) which added Active Parking Assist, Rear Cross-Traffic Alert, a Surround View System, and Hands-Free Access. Total as-tested price is $46,150 with destination fee.

I found the 255 hp put out by the industry-standard 2.0T to be a bit sluggish outside of Dynamic (Sport) mode When I refilled it with Premium prior to the short drive back to the airport, it really perked up, suggesting that the last renter did not do so. Suspension was plenty soft - a bit too soft in my taste - but passengers felt very well insulated from the road outside. Driving engagement was "meh" and I'd put the X3 and Stelvio ahead of this for sure in that department. I averaged 22 mpg overall with a 50/50 highway/city split.

Visibility was great and blind spot monitors helped in traffic. Rear seat room was a bit tight. I found the seats comfortable and the standard driver's adjustable thigh bolstering was really a nice touch. Trunk space was on the small size, reference picture shown with two standard larger suitcases. At least it comes with a standard privacy screen in the back so you can leave things in the trunk.

The infotainment system was a mixed bag. Many journalists laud how "intuitive" they found this system, but I was totally annoyed by the lack of simple buttons to do normal tasks like radio seeking or adjustments. The steering wheel featured mini touch pads that I found incredibly annoying, and the main way to control the infotainment was a large touch pad. Just give me a seek button, please. At least the screen was crisp and bright, way better than a recent Alfa rental I had. There is no standard navigation on this trim level (but in typical Mercedes form, there's still a button for it on the dash), so you'll have to use CarPlay or Android Auto for that if you need it. Stereo was fine but nothing to write home about. SXM is not available because fleet purchasing did not tick that option box. Also, note for prospective renters, make sure to have a USB-C cord handy because there was no regular USB outlet available.

Overall this was a very pleasant rental and a nice way to rack up some summer driving miles.

iluvdoco, kxc262, xienon and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by dwbf11
I found the 255 hp put out by the industry-standard 2.0T to be a bit sluggish outside of Dynamic (Sport) mode When I refilled it with Premium prior to the short drive back to the airport, it really perked up, suggesting that the last renter did not do so. Suspension was plenty soft - a bit too soft in my taste - but passengers felt very well insulated from the road outside. Driving engagement was "meh" and I'd put the X3 and Stelvio ahead of this for sure in that department. I averaged 22 mpg overall with a 50/50 highway/city split.
A staff member told me that National doesn't even fill cars with premium gas, at least at that location (I can't remember which one).
Auto Enthusiast and Ordpc like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.