Awful Experience at National FLL

Old Mar 4, 21, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Awful Experience at National FLL

Last night my flight from EWR was delayed. We touched down at 12:30am. I knew the location closed at 12am, so I called national and asked if they could stay open.

They said they had a lot of customers coming in and would stay open until 2am.

Arrived, and they were closed. Many families and children running around the lot with not one person there. Avis was open and had a line that probably had 30-40 people in it.

Called national, they said there was nothing they can do. Really a terrible experience, left stranded with no car despite me calling them and confirming they'd be open.
Ordpc likes this.
Old Mar 5, 21, 3:16 am

Originally Posted by pallino228 View Post
Last night my flight from EWR was delayed. We touched down at 12:30am. I knew the location closed at 12am, so I called national and asked if they could stay open.

Arrived, and they were closed. Many families and children running around the lot with not one person there. Avis was open and had a line that probably had 30-40 people in it.

Called national, they said there was nothing they can do. Really a terrible experience, left stranded with no car despite me calling them and confirming they'd be open.
This is a problem nationally (no pun intended). Since the layoffs began last year, employees close down immediately at the listed time, regardless of whether incoming flights are on the board. It's unacceptable.

NationalCares
Old Mar 7, 21, 4:19 pm

Had exactly the same experience with closed Avis in SAN but in that case National was open and i was able to book on the spot and drive away.
As i booked Avis via Costco i filed a brief complaint and got 2 free day vouchers within a week (thanks Costco!)

That being said a couple months ago National FLL lot was empty around 10 pm with people waiting and we rented from hertz. Basically these days you have to book a back up especially for late night arrivals...
AutoSlash, joepa26 and Ordpc like this.
Old Mar 8, 21, 4:50 am

Originally Posted by azepine00 View Post
Had exactly the same experience with closed Avis in SAN but in that case National was open and i was able to book on the spot and drive away.
As i booked Avis via Costco i filed a brief complaint and got 2 free day vouchers within a week (thanks Costco!)

That being said a couple months ago National FLL lot was empty around 10 pm with people waiting and we rented from hertz. Basically these days you have to book a back up especially for late night arrivals...
National and Avis/Budget seem to be the worst about doing this, although once I had an Avis location call me to say they left the keys in the car and the security guard would let me out. That was a nice touch.
Auto Enthusiast and Ordpc like this.
Old Mar 8, 21, 7:43 pm

Programs: AA Gold, National Executive Elite, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, SW A List
I thought they were 24/7 at FLL? Pre-COVID I had many late night arrivals past midnight and never had issues.
Old Mar 9, 21, 5:39 am

Originally Posted by MSP_Monopoly View Post
I thought they were 24/7 at FLL? Pre-COVID I had many late night arrivals past midnight and never had issues.
Many, if not most, airport locations have cut their operating hours significantly. 24/7 locations are rare now.

The worst I've seen is Hertz at HOU closing at 8:00 PM every night except Saturday, when they close at 4:00 PM!
Auto Enthusiast and Ordpc like this.
Old Mar 9, 21, 5:52 am
Company Representative - Autoslash

Originally Posted by m907 View Post
Many, if not most, airport locations have cut their operating hours significantly. 24/7 locations are rare now.

The worst I've seen is Hertz at HOU closing at 8:00 PM every night except Saturday, when they close at 4:00 PM!
That's pretty bad. Hertz/Dollar/Thrifty at Las Vegas McCarran is pretty bad as well with 8am-10pm hours now. Think twice before booking them if you have an evening flight as a late arrival may leave you stranded.

Avis/Budget at least are 6am-12am or 7am-1am. Enterprise/National/Alamo are the only major companies left that are still operating 24x7.
Auto Enthusiast, Ordpc and m907 like this.
Old Mar 10, 21, 3:40 am

CMH is another weird one. They're all open til midnight every day except Saturday, when they all close between 7-9 PM except for Avis/Budget. There are still plenty of flights coming in late on Saturday nights.
Old Mar 19, 21, 11:10 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by pallino228 View Post

There is no way you spoke to an actual employee at that location when you called. Even trying to call the location would be a waste of time because youíll be speaking to someone in a call center - not on site - who canít commit to anything.

I am not justifying what happened - I am just saying that, especially in this COVID era, you should have taken the midnight closing seriously.

Iím sure you could have taken an Uber to/from your hotel. The next day, the Manager likely would have put your uber costs towards the rental and deducted it, especially given what you were told.

Having said that - do you have status with National? Either way, you could ask for the contact info for the Area Manager. The directives come from them, or above, to shut down at the exact closing time.

They should know that they gave Avis a bunch of business. This may or may not help change their practices, but it is the closest you can come to affecting change at FLL. Also, the Area Manager has the authority to offer you some compensation for your troubles, if you do desire (again, stop relying on the folks in a mass contact center when you call).
Old Mar 19, 21, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by btonkid12345 View Post
There is no way you spoke to an actual employee at that location when you called. Even trying to call the location would be a waste of time because youíll be speaking to someone in a call center - not on site - who canít commit to anything.

I am not justifying what happened - I am just saying that, especially in this COVID era, you should have taken the midnight closing seriously.

Iím sure you could have taken an Uber to/from your hotel. The next day, the Manager likely would have put your uber costs towards the rental and deducted it, especially given what you were told.

Having said that - do you have status with National? Either way, you could ask for the contact info for the Area Manager. The directives come from them, or above, to shut down at the exact closing time.

They should know that they gave Avis a bunch of business. This may or may not help change their practices, but it is the closest you can come to affecting change at FLL. Also, the Area Manager has the authority to offer you some compensation for your troubles, if you do desire (again, stop relying on the folks in a mass contact center when you call).
That's another problem, which is that you can almost never reach the actual location over the phone. It's National's fault both ways, not OP's.
Old Mar 19, 21, 1:53 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by m907 View Post
That's another problem, which is that you can almost never reach the actual location over the phone. It's National's fault both ways, not OP's.
The only workaround used to be either asking at the location for their counter number - or pressing for lost and found on their automated menu.

Sometimes, changing the last digit of the phone number listed also reached a desk/extension at the location, but extreme YMMV.

National is definitely at fault - I am just providing some options to tangibly improve the situation in the future - otherwise it just wonít change.
Old Mar 21, 21, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by btonkid12345 View Post
The only workaround used to be either asking at the location for their counter number - or pressing for lost and found on their automated menu.

Sometimes, changing the last digit of the phone number listed also reached a desk/extension at the location, but extreme YMMV.

National is definitely at fault - I am just providing some options to tangibly improve the situation in the future - otherwise it just wonít change.
I get that, but this wasn't normal operating procedure before the virus shutdowns. Customers should not just go along with it or it will become the permanent norm. This happened to me repeatedly at a location which will go unnamed. I repeatedly raised it with customer service and the GM and they fixed it.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: