Changes to Liability Insurance Supplement

Old Jan 4, 21, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Platinum, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Platinum
Changes to Liability Insurance Supplement

I received an email from Emerald Club today to advise that the liability insurance supplement coverage (when purchased) is now ONLY $300,000 and not $1 million. As a Canadian that does not own a car here so have no coverage of my own I will no longer rent cars in the USA from National as I would be woefully under-insured in the most litigious land in the world. Perplexing change to something the customer has to buy and pay for!! Beware....
xienon likes this.
Old Jan 4, 21, 7:47 pm

Programs: DL GM 0.4MM, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
I agree with what you are saying, but even most auto policies in the states max out at 250k/person or 500k/accident for personal injury liability. People will buy umbrella for extra coverage if needed.

If you are a frequent renter, you can also look into a non-owner's policy which can save you money vs paying SLI on a daily rate. IME though, those policies also max out around 250/500.
Old Jan 4, 21, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by kxc262 View Post
I agree with what you are saying, but even most auto policies in the states max out at 250k/person or 500k/accident for personal injury liability. People will buy umbrella for extra coverage if needed.
It's not that easy. Many can not get umbrella insurance. For example, if a family member (or yourself) are employed in media, journalism, etc.

$300k is really very low.
Old Jan 5, 21, 7:51 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Umbrella coverage should be available with specific policy exclusions. Not something one can do online, but a competent agent can obtain underwriting for pretty much anything which still leaves something to insure.
Old Jan 5, 21, 10:20 am
Original Poster

I guess Iíll check with my home insurance agent but when I asked coverage for rental vehicle liability was not possible on my Canadian policy. Itís interesting to hear the limits on US policies as $2 million is reasonably common in Canada!
Old Jan 6, 21, 5:31 am

Programs: TK E+, UA S, BoNVoY TE, IHG G
Originally Posted by Altaflyer View Post
I guess I’ll check with my home insurance agent but when I asked coverage for rental vehicle liability was not possible on my Canadian policy. It’s interesting to hear the limits on US policies as $2 million is reasonably common in Canada!
Beware! The T&Cs for Canadian rentals are stating they will only cover the provincial MINIMUM for their included third-party liability coverage, which is only $200,000 in Ontario! With no option to purchase SLI from the rental company in Canada, I imagine the vast majority of customers will be blissfully renting without being aware of being woefully under-insured. I am in a similar non-car-ownership situation and therefore have limited options for liability coverage. I have thus far found a few Canadian insurance companies offering umbrella insurance, but their rates are hard to justify (if needed for car liability alone) unless you are renting for multiple weeks of the year.
So far, it looks like Hertz still offers the $1 million in Canada and the USA. I might have to go back to them, if they don't go under....
Old Jan 6, 21, 6:45 am
Original Poster

I rent exclusively from Hertz and so am covered.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: