Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

Mileage Limits on Premium Car Classes. Is this new?

Old Oct 26, 20, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond; National EE

Is this part of the "new normal" with National?

Executive Elite for 7 years. Up until a few months ago, I've never been subject to a single mileage charge on any reservation. I'm now seeing $0.25/mile (over 300 miles) penalties on premium cars, standard SUVs, premium SUVs, pick-up trucks, mini vans, etc.

During a recent rental, I was upgraded to a "premium SUV" and was charged a mileage penalty, despite renting a midsize vehicle with no mileage limit. Station refused to fix but corporate customer care made it right.
Old Oct 26, 20, 1:45 pm

Check your contract ID. Retail (BJs, etc) and the generic Emerald Club code should always give unlimited miles.
aww3583 likes this.
Old Oct 26, 20, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast View Post
Check your contract ID. Retail (BJs, etc) and the generic Emerald Club code should always give unlimited miles.
Good catch.

Oddly, I removed our corporate contract and, while the day-to-day pricing went up marginally, the mileage limits disappeared.

Thanks!
Auto Enthusiast and Jarrret like this.
Old Oct 26, 20, 4:47 pm

Sometimes corporate contracts charge for miles on certain classes, and/or for one-ways. Also, contracts periodically come up for renewal. If travel is down, so will be the benefits.
Old Nov 11, 20, 12:28 pm

I drove an Infiniti QX60 from California to New Jersey and back twice and they didnít bat an eye when I returned it
Auto Enthusiast and symbols like this.
Old Nov 11, 20, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by nd2010 View Post
I drove an Infiniti QX60 from California to New Jersey and back twice and they didnít bat an eye when I returned it
Phew that's good to know! I'm about to rent a QX80 from DC --> Utah --> Florida --> DC which is a lot of miles.
Old Nov 11, 20, 3:13 pm

With the one-way southbound specials right now, you might be better off leaving the car in FL and flying back to DC.
Old Nov 11, 20, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

Our National rep indicated in an email the recent addition of mileage limits to premium/minivan reservations.

Limit is 150 miles per day and $0.25 per mile above that.

This apparently applies to all reservations of premium vehicles. Reserve midsize and take a premium from the aisle, no issue. Book premium, mileage limit applies.
Old Nov 15, 20, 3:36 pm

Programs: NW GE
Originally Posted by aww3583 View Post
Our National rep indicated in an email the recent addition of mileage limits to premium/minivan reservations.

Limit is 150 miles per day and $0.25 per mile above that.

This apparently applies to all reservations of premium vehicles. Reserve midsize and take a premium from the aisle, no issue. Book premium, mileage limit applies.
Presuming this only applies to new bookings? Have a 2500 mile round trip coming up this week and have reserved a Suburban/Yukon xl and it said unlimited miles back when I reserved several months ago...
Old Nov 15, 20, 3:39 pm
Company Representative - Autoslash

Originally Posted by Lyaec350 View Post
Presuming this only applies to new bookings? Have a 2500 mile round trip coming up this week and have reserved a Suburban/Yukon xl and it said unlimited miles back when I reserved several months ago...
Existing bookings would not be affected, but it's still worth pulling up your reservation online to confirm and taking a screenshot. Better safe than sorry.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Nov 15, 20, 5:44 pm

Interesting
Old Nov 15, 20, 6:30 pm

Throwback to the old days of Enterprise. Back then, 150 miles per day/1,050 week was the norm with a buy-up option for unlimited miles. IIRC, the unlimited mileage options wasn't available on luxury cars, full size SUV's or exotics. I think California was the only region that opted out of the mileage limits.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Nov 16, 20, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by Lyaec350 View Post
The limit being discussed applies only to OP's specific contract code, not every National reservation.
Old Nov 16, 20, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by m907 View Post
The limit being discussed applies only to OP's specific contract code, not every National reservation.
Ah, thanks. I missed that!
m907 likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: