Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

National apparently buying parts of Hertz fleet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2020, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BW Diamond, Choice Plat, National Exec Elite

So I'm sitting in a 2019 BMW 5-Series that I grabbed from the ES at DTW. While waiting for a family member, I rummaged in the glove box, looking to see how much the Florida tag on this car cost for a year. Didn't find a Florida registration, but I did find a Michigan registration that expired 8/1/20. Interesting in that the owner on the Michigan registration was Hertz Vehicle LLC. There's also a Hertz/Dollar/Thrifty accident report form in the glove box as well. No idea how many vehicles EHI has bought in the Hertz fire sale, but it's clearly happening...
Ordpc, m907, xienon and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 4:05 pm

Programs: National EE, Avis PP
Oh? So we might get more Porsche's for Premium Upgrades? One can dream
Auto Enthusiast, Ordpc and kxc262 like this.
Old Sep 6, 2020, 11:17 am

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite
Yes, Hertz revealed during a bankruptcy hearing that Enterprise bought about $1 billion worth of cars from them in early July.

I actually got a Veloster a few weeks ago that had both Hertz and Enterprise stickers (and found the Hertz registration in the glove box too). That explained why a 2019 Veloster was in National's fleet given that I've never seen one before. On a side note, the Veloster still feels like a cheap car but looks cool and I got it simply because I've never seen one before.

Also recently noticed Hertz bar codes on a 530i and an Edge at the National lot.
Auto Enthusiast and m907 like this.
Old Sep 6, 2020, 1:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
They should have bought more.

SEA was completely sold out this weekend. The only company offering a rental was Dollar, at $600 per day for a compact.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2020, 4:19 am

Originally Posted by xienon
Yes, Hertz revealed during a bankruptcy hearing that Enterprise bought about $1 billion worth of cars from them in early July.
I hadn't heard about that. Interesting move by EHI.
Old Sep 7, 2020, 6:04 am

This actually happens all the time, but EHI does it more frequently than most. Back in the day when I worked for EHI, someone in our region goofed our vehicle order for the year. We purchased several hundred vehicles from Avis to cover the difference.

A year or two back, I rented a Yukon from Hertz with Florida plates... it had an Avis registration from California in the glove box along with the transfer paperwork from the turn in lot.
Old Sep 7, 2020, 10:48 am

I guess Avis wasn't interested in buying Hertz's cars? Then again, an old and busted 45k mi car seems to fit the Hertz and Enterprise customer experiences more than Avis.
Old Sep 7, 2020, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
I guess Avis wasn't interested in buying Hertz's cars? Then again, an old and busted 45k mi car seems to fit the Hertz and Enterprise customer experiences more than Avis.
Did EHI actually buy any of the old, beat up cars? Perhaps they picked the creme of the crop for National/Alamo while retaining their own old cars for Enterprise.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 6:12 am

Originally Posted by SixAlpha
This actually happens all the time, but EHI does it more frequently than most. Back in the day when I worked for EHI, someone in our region goofed our vehicle order for the year. We purchased several hundred vehicles from Avis to cover the difference.

A year or two back, I rented a Yukon from Hertz with Florida plates... it had an Avis registration from California in the glove box along with the transfer paperwork from the turn in lot.
What did you do for EHI, if you don't mind me asking?
Old Sep 8, 2020, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by Yellowjj
Did EHI actually buy any of the old, beat up cars? Perhaps they picked the creme of the crop for National/Alamo while retaining their own old cars for Enterprise.
The 2019 Veloster I got had 28k miles on it. The 530i was a 2019 and the Edge was a 2020 so it seems like National is buying "middle aged" Hertz cars.
Avis likely didn't buy any cars from Hertz because they have debt problems of their own, not as serious as Hertz but market was also worried about Avis going under in March/April.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 9:44 am

The 2019 Veloster I got had 28k miles on it. The 530i was a 2019 and the Edge was a 2020 so it seems like National is buying "middle aged" Hertz cars.
Avis likely didn't buy any cars from Hertz because they have debt problems of their own, not as serious as Hertz but market was also worried about Avis going under in March/April.
Well 28K is practically new in Hertz eyes . It is good though that EHI finances seem to be the stablest out of all the car companies.

On a side note, I thought vehicles over 20K weren't allowed for club members or has that been temporarily suspended?
Auto Enthusiast and xienon like this.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by Yellowjj
On a side note, I thought vehicles over 20K weren't allowed for club members or has that been temporarily suspended?
This was at a neighborhood location (I actually reserved Luxury and the car they held for me was a Mustang GT convertible but unfortunately I needed more cargo space).

At airports these days, I routinely see higher mileage cars on the aisle now as their airport fleets are so tight. I imagine things won't improve until they take shipments of new cars.

Has anyone gotten a car from National that's less than 6 months old or less than 10k miles recently? I think they stopped all deliveries of new cars in March and haven't gotten any since. You can tell when a car was assembled by looking at the VIN plate on the pillar behind the front door on all cars except for FCA products (on the front door itself for FCA)

Last edited by xienon; Sep 8, 2020 at 10:12 am
Old Sep 8, 2020, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: BW Diamond, Choice Plat, National Exec Elite
Has anyone gotten a car from National that's less than 6 months old or less than 10k miles recently?
I haven't looked at any build plates to look at the age of the car, but I have had at least 3 in the past month under 10k. A BMW 3series, a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, and a base Gladiator.
xienon likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 10:51 am

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Has anyone gotten a car from National that's less than 6 months old or less than 10k miles recently? I think they stopped all deliveries of new cars in March and haven't gotten any since. You can tell when a car was assembled by looking at the VIN plate on the pillar behind the front door on all cars except for FCA products (on the front door itself for FCA)
They are hard to find, but MCI has some Q50s with less than 5k miles on them. However, majority of the cars are over 10k still.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 9:43 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Premier, AA Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Sixt Plat
I've seen some cars under 10K miles as well. I'd say about half the cars I see in NYC are under 10K and almost all of them are 2020 models. I did see a Jeep Cherokee with less than 100 miles on it at JFK; still had the new car stickers on the airbags. This was definitely after NYC shut down.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.