Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Executive Upgrades Post-COVID

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2020, 10:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Executive Upgrades Post-COVID

Anyone else finding Executive upgrades close to non-existent lately? In four recent rentals (SNA, SAN, SAN, SEA) I have three Fusions (which as a full size is not an upgrade), and a Maxima SL (which in my book barely counts). EA seems to be full mostly of Altimas and Malibus.

And this is with rates over $70/day on 3 of 4. (I know, they figure if you're renting these days, it's a must-rent situation).
Old Aug 22, 2020, 11:45 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by Kacee
Anyone else finding Executive upgrades close to non-existent lately? In four recent rentals (SNA, SAN, SAN, SEA) I have three Fusions (which as a full size is not an upgrade), and a Maxima SL (which in my book barely counts). EA seems to be full mostly of Altimas and Malibus.

And this is with rates over $70/day on 3 of 4. (I know, they figure if you're renting these days, it's a must-rent situation).
I find National hardly has any cars to rent out. They are trying to keep under 20k miles vehicles at National and it seems like lately they have few vehicles that meet that threshold...
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2020, 7:40 am
dxl

Programs: AC*E75K, National EE
National using Enterprise inventory

ICT used to be a good station for scoring a decent EE upgrade once in a while. As of my trip last week, National and Alamo operations there have been rolled-into Enterprise. Inventory is now anything you want as long as it's an Altima with 35K miles and bonus vape smell.

Anyone else see this at smaller stations?
Old Aug 23, 2020, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
At the stations I've visited, they're managing to keep the showplace Luxury parking stalls filled, they just don't seem to be putting any of those cars in the Aisle.

I have noticed they're doing a much better job cleaning the cars. Probably helps that volume has dropped off the cliff.
Old Aug 23, 2020, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I used up my last two free days at ORD this week. I grabbed the Equinox, only four other cars and they were all boring sedans.

I really can't justify National at this point, as they are consistently $35/day higher than Budget. The 1/6 of a free day and the aisle selection aren't enough.
Old Aug 23, 2020, 1:06 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
At the stations I've visited, they're managing to keep the showplace Luxury parking stalls filled, they just don't seem to be putting any of those cars in the Aisle.

I have noticed they're doing a much better job cleaning the cars. Probably helps that volume has dropped off the cliff.
Cleanliness is all over the map at RNO. This is not only my experience but also as seen on Google reviews for the 3 EHI brands at RNO. It may be spotless. It may not have been cleaned at all. It seems to depend when you get there to pick the vehicle up.
Old Aug 24, 2020, 4:58 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
Hmm, I've had pretty good luck lately. All in the last six weeks with full size reservations with corp code, so around 35/day pretax and fee.

DEN - allows EE to select from Premier. Took BMW 330
DEN - took Range Rover Velar from Premier
DEN - took Q5
CLE - horrible aisle selection, asked for something nicer and was given a Q3
PHX - poor aisle selection, asked for something nicer and was given an F Pace.

Off topic but Hertz had a similarly poor selection in PHX and was given a Mustanf GT Premium as PC
Old Aug 24, 2020, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ChiefNWA
DEN - took Q5
Sounds like only one of these (Q5) was off the aisle? Indicating that the aisle is indeed being populated with crap.
joepa26 likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2020, 8:43 am

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite
EWR is so short on inventory these days only leftover cars are being put on the aisle. I saw numerous Tahoes, Durangos, and Pathfinders being given to Enterprise customers (they probably reserved an SUV).

Last time I was there, the aisle consisted of a 40k mile smelly base Altima, a Frontier and a Cherokee with no keys. I waited around about 15 minutes before a Challenger R/T pull up (presumably because most people don't want a 2 door car).
Old Aug 24, 2020, 11:41 am

Avoid National rental car at SNA at all cost, unless you are happy with their fusion and altimas!

Anyone else finding Executive upgrades close to non-existent lately? In four recent rentals (SNA, SAN, SAN, SEA)
Old Aug 24, 2020, 12:18 pm

Programs: BW Diamond, Choice Plat, National Exec Elite
It's clear that the fleet is smaller than it was pre-Covid. But I'm still renting weekly. 36 rentals this year. The selection on the ES isn't as deep as it once was, but it's there. DTW, PHX, and ORD are my top 3 locations to rent at. DTW has been better about throwing some non-fleet models on the ES. I don't have any trouble scoring something nice. Last week I had choice of multiple 3 series BMWs, a couple Audis, but I took a Wrangler Rubicon. PHX has had issues stocking the ES, but they let me take Premier selection vehicles. ORD is ORD. There's never been anything great there. Ever. I can't speak for whats on the Emerald Aisle side, because I'm over on the Executive side. National's customer service online is now no-existent, but that hasn't trickled to the individual locations. The local locations seem to want to find something nice for the Elite members.
Old Aug 24, 2020, 9:17 pm

Programs: UA Gold,Delta Gold Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Diamond , AA Platinum, EENational, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ChiefNWA
Hmm, I've had pretty good luck lately. All in the last six weeks with full size reservations with corp code, so around 35/day pretax and fee.

DEN - took Q5

Off topic but Hertz had a similarly poor selection in PHX and was given a Mustanf GT Premium as PC
DEN has always let me have my pick of the litter; one of my favorite stations to come to
Ordpc likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2020, 10:31 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Brandinho1
DEN has always let me have my pick of the litter; one of my favorite stations to come to
It's certainly become my favorite. Not one bad vehicle from them. I was there twice in Jan and got an XT5 and a 7 series. I'm hoping for something decent in SFO next month with a 10 day rental.
Old Aug 25, 2020, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by UAFAM
Avoid National rental car at SNA at all cost, unless you are happy with their fusion and altimas!
I personally enjoy Fusion Titaniums, which really come better equipped than half of National luxury offerings. Possibly my favorite regular aisle go-to car if I see one.
Old Aug 25, 2020, 8:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Yellowjj
I personally enjoy Fusion Titaniums, which really come better equipped than half of National luxury offerings. Possibly my favorite regular aisle go-to car if I see one.
It's not a bad car - comfortable and well equipped, including ApplePlay. But they are totally gutless and steering is kinda floaty. Not exactly high performance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.