Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

Better selection on a Friday night or a Saturday morning on Exec Aisle? ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2020, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver

We are taking a vacation where we are renting a car from PBI. We'd like as much room as possible. I rarely rent from home home airport, so limited experience.
We are leaving Saturday morning. In normal times, I wouldn't give it a ton of thought, as turn over would likely be quite consistent. But in Covid times and limited availability, it seems different.
I am leaning toward Sat AM, as people flying out that morning would be dropping off cars, but not many early arriving flights into PBI. But people arriving late night Friday may have taken most of them, so I need to rely on people leaving PBI Saturday morning.
On the other hand, I could try Friday late afternoon. While people will have been renting all day, they are also dropping off for the evening flights.

Any thoughts?
Old Aug 3, 2020, 9:03 am

Programs: NW GE
Doubt they'd get anything returned on Sat AM cleaned and back in rotation before the afternoon.

Depending on how important it is to you, could make two reservations, one for Friday and on for Saturday, both returning at your planned end date. Show up Friday and if nothing to your liking, try again Sat AM.
pbiflyer likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 1:49 pm

Before the virus, mornings were generally better, but now they are running on skeleton staffs and it's hard to tell.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 11:54 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by m907
Before the virus, mornings were generally better, but now they are running on skeleton staffs and it's hard to tell.
Go as early as possible Saturday morning and you may have a shot (go late Friday night and you'd probably have a similar selection).

Go late morning Saturday- forget it. You will be hosed. They will have rented out whatever is available during the morning, they have limited staff and do not clean cars quickly, and you will likely end up with either a dirty car or some reject nobody else wanted because nothing is available. You may have some luck offering to wait.
Old Aug 17, 2020, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
I opted to follow the early AM advice. Likely the best option. Thanks!
It was a surreal experience. National, Alamo, and Enterprise were all combined. Nothing in the Executive Isle, you had to go inside, where they confirmed your reservation and sent you to a person outside.
I had a choice between two Jeeps. That was it. There was a mini van, but they said that would be an upgrade and wouldn't give it to me. The Jeep Cherokee worked out fine.
Thanks again everybody.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.