Suspicious Damage Claim

Old Apr 23, 2020, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
Suspicious Damage Claim

I returned a vehicle at a non-aisle location. We completed the walk around and the agent said “everything looks good”. I agreed and got my receipt.

Later that day, the station called the secondary number on my account and left a voicemail indicating a chip in the windshield and requested a call back. No attempt was made to contact me directly.

I called back and the same agent indicated an “unrepairable” 6” long crack in the drivers side of the windshield, directly in the line of sight. I told him that’s not possible as I drove the vehicle 900 miles over the previous few days and most certainly would have noticed such damage. I asked why it wasn’t noted by either of us during the walk around. He said he completed a secondary inspection on his own and noted the damage.

I requested photos of the damage for insurance purposes, as windshields on new cars can run almost $2000. A while later, I receive close-up photos where the crack was circled in chalk. The photos were taken well after the vehicle had been moved as evidenced by the reflections in the glass.

He said to be on the lookout for a call from the loss mitigation department.

I didn’t take photos during the walk around. However, I can’t help but think they would have captured the windshield crack that neither of us saw.

Any tips on how to handle? I was on company business and booked using the company code.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 4:11 pm

Does your company code include the loss damage waiver?
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by davie355
Does your company code include the loss damage waiver?
Yes. Direction from the company is to “decline all insurance” at pickup. We also book on personal credit cards. I’m worried my credit card will get hit with a deductible.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 4:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by aww3583
Yes. Direction from the company is to “decline all insurance” at pickup. We also book on personal credit cards. I’m worried my credit card will get hit with a deductible.
If your credit card has rental car insurance, wouldn't it cover this?
Old Apr 23, 2020, 7:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WeekendTraveler
If your credit card has rental car insurance, wouldn't it cover this?
It should, yes. Not sure if there’s a deductible involved. I’m reading the policy now.

My bigger concern is that this big “unrepairable” crack, supposedly in my line of sight, wasn’t found until well after I’d returned the vehicle. The photos provided show the vehicle had been moved and were taken a couple hours after the damage was “found”.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 8:45 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
It should, yes. Not sure if there’s a deductible involved. I’m reading the policy now.

My bigger concern is that this big “unrepairable” crack, supposedly in my line of sight, wasn’t found until well after I’d returned the vehicle. The photos provided show the vehicle had been moved and were taken a couple hours after the damage was “found”.
Have you asked if LDW will cover this?
Old Apr 23, 2020, 8:50 pm

My bigger concern is that this big “unrepairable” crack, supposedly in my line of sight, wasn’t found until well after I’d returned the vehicle.
Obviously someone else damaged the car and they're trying to make you pay for it.

If you have a corporate code, you have someone in your corporation who's connected to a team at National that could make this problem go away. Find that person, relate your story, and have them tell National to knock it off.
bchandler02 and btonkid12345 like this.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 1:34 am

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Sounds like their car washing equipment probably damaged the windshield and they are attempting to blame you.

It is certainly possible there was a small chip in there that grew exponentially a few hours after you returned the vehicle... it is also possible pigs can fly.

This is a bogus claim.

Any idea if there were cameras in the return area recording the return transaction? I'd like to have them pull that tape to prove it was cracked when you returned it.

Given how many staff they've laid off you'd think the people who are left would be ethical and honest and glad to not have been laid off. Very sad.

Also those "close up photos" you were provided- is there anything on those photos that even proves this was the vehicle you rented?
strickerj likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 7:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kxc262
Have you asked if LDW will cover this?
Who do I ask that to? In 7 years of travel, I've never had a damage issue on a rental car.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 7:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by storewanderer
Sounds like their car washing equipment probably damaged the windshield and they are attempting to blame you.

It is certainly possible there was a small chip in there that grew exponentially a few hours after you returned the vehicle... it is also possible pigs can fly.

This is a bogus claim.

Any idea if there were cameras in the return area recording the return transaction? I'd like to have them pull that tape to prove it was cracked when you returned it.

Given how many staff they've laid off you'd think the people who are left would be ethical and honest and glad to not have been laid off. Very sad.

Also those "close up photos" you were provided- is there anything on those photos that even proves this was the vehicle you rented?
The photos do indicate it was the car I drove. It was a relatively rare/high-end car, and the National ID sticker on the windshield is visible.

The photo of the "crack" show no impact or origin point. It almost looks like a scratch going horizontally across the glass. Very likely from car washing equipment. The photos show a wet windshield and it wasn't raining at the time of drop off and I dropped it off inside a garage.

I'll ask around, but there are very likely no cameras close enough to prove the crack did/didn't exist. This is a large garage shared by a half-dozen rental agencies.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 7:17 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Apparently this occured on a work-related trip and your employer's instructions are to decline all insurance. This presumably means that your employer either self insures or has coverage for this. Simply turn the claim over to whoever that is in your enterprise and have them deal with it.

No idea of the size of your outfit, but some places handle this in house and simply negotiate it out and others carry their own master policy and turn it over. Presumably you write up a report noting that this was not apparent at return as acknowledged by both you and National and that it is the sort of thing which would have been noticed. Forget all the stuff about what you would have seen over the 900 miles, this is about the "clean bill of health" at return. Not as though we're talking about damage to the undercarriage or whatever.

Enterprise-level people get more attention. Yes, there is the risk that if it is not dealt with that it will hit your credit card. But. stay on top of your employer's contact.

Also, check your own insurance. It may well have a deadline for notice. If so, provide that notice immediately,. Ultimately, that protects you.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 7:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Often1
Apparently this occured on a work-related trip and your employer's instructions are to decline all insurance. This presumably means that your employer either self insures or has coverage for this. Simply turn the claim over to whoever that is in your enterprise and have them deal with it.

No idea of the size of your outfit, but some places handle this in house and simply negotiate it out and others carry their own master policy and turn it over. Presumably you write up a report noting that this was not apparent at return as acknowledged by both you and National and that it is the sort of thing which would have been noticed. Forget all the stuff about what you would have seen over the 900 miles, this is about the "clean bill of health" at return. Not as though we're talking about damage to the undercarriage or whatever.

Enterprise-level people get more attention. Yes, there is the risk that if it is not dealt with that it will hit your credit card. But. stay on top of your employer's contact.

Also, check your own insurance. It may well have a deadline for notice. If so, provide that notice immediately,. Ultimately, that protects you.
I agree with this. This episode also highlights why it is important to take pictures when picking up/dropping off vehicles. It takes about two minutes and can save a lot of hassle.
Often1 likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 8:13 am

Programs: OW Sapphire, *A Gold
Am i missing something here?

I always thought that from the moment the car is inspected and you sign the drop-off receipt your responsibility for any visual damage to the car is over.

Anything after that is tough luck for the rental company.

How can they demonstrate that the damage didn‘t occur afterwards?
strickerj likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 8:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Deckter
Am i missing something here?

I always thought that from the moment the car is inspected and you sign the drop-off receipt your responsibility for any visual damage to the car is over.

Anything after that is tough luck for the rental company.

How can they demonstrate that the damage didn‘t occur afterwards?
This happens all the time. They try it on. Some locations are franchises so can be a little sneaky. Their ability to send you a bill, charge your credit card, hassle you, get debt collectors on you, is greater than your ability to resist those attacks. And they know that. That's why you take pictures and/or have the type of insurance where you hand it over to someone who is experienced and skilled in fighting that fight for you.
Deckter likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1

Good info. Thank you!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.