Wiki Posts
Search

Suspicious Damage Claim

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2020, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I agree with this. This episode also highlights why it is important to take pictures when picking up/dropping off vehicles. It takes about two minutes and can save a lot of hassle.
Agreed. Typically I'm pretty vigilant about this. Unfortunately, my oversight this time it's coming back to bite. Lesson learned!
Old Apr 24, 2020, 9:05 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by aww3583
Agreed. Typically I'm pretty vigilant about this. Unfortunately, my oversight this time it's coming back to bite. Lesson learned!
There was a chap called Murphy, I believe. who had some sort of rule or law about just this. At least that's what I've heard.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 10:05 am

Bummer...too late now, but in the future:

1. Always do a full video walk around of the car on the lot, and include the background so its clear where you are...if you can get an employee on the video, even better.

2. I use Amex with premium car protection...which is something like $18 for the full rental. It supposedly covers EVERYTHING and has a zero deductible...not sure how good it is as I've been fortunate never to have a claim, but Amex has been really good with virtually all their "benefits" I've used over the years. I don't travel that much, however, so it's not a big inconvenience...probably only rent cars a few times a year max.

Good luck with your claim!
Old Apr 24, 2020, 12:17 pm
Company Representative - National Car Rental

I returned a vehicle at a non-aisle location. We completed the walk around and the agent said “everything looks good”. I agreed and got my receipt.

Later that day, the station called the secondary number on my account and left a voicemail indicating a chip in the windshield and requested a call back. No attempt was made to contact me directly.

I called back and the same agent indicated an “unrepairable” 6” long crack in the drivers side of the windshield, directly in the line of sight. I told him that’s not possible as I drove the vehicle 900 miles over the previous few days and most certainly would have noticed such damage. I asked why it wasn’t noted by either of us during the walk around. He said he completed a secondary inspection on his own and noted the damage.

I requested photos of the damage for insurance purposes, as windshields on new cars can run almost $2000. A while later, I receive close-up photos where the crack was circled in chalk. The photos were taken well after the vehicle had been moved as evidenced by the reflections in the glass.

He said to be on the lookout for a call from the loss mitigation department.

I didn’t take photos during the walk around. However, I can’t help but think they would have captured the windshield crack that neither of us saw.

Any tips on how to handle? I was on company business and booked using the company code.
aww3583, we've noted your comments and concern and would like to have the chance to address this with you directly. Please send us a detailed email to [email protected] include the exact rental location, your contact telephone number, your claims, rental agreement or reservation numbers and any further information regarding your experience with us. Thank you! - Carol H. Social Monitoring National Car Rental
Old Apr 24, 2020, 1:50 pm

Programs: AS 75K
As much as the whole picture/video thing sounds like a good idea I just can't see how you will be able to capture all parts of the car in good enough detail within a reasonable amount of time. Are you going to zoom in on each wheel in case they say you dinged one? Close-ups of the bumpers as they wrap under the vehicle? Like OP's situation - the windshield? Trying to photo an entire car without knowing what part will be needed later is just pissing into the wind. Plus, many of the drop off locations are in parking garages that are very dimly lit.

The bottom line is they walk around the car and give the nod..... you're done and out AFAIK. I just can't see them being able to come back after you like this and having it stick.
strickerj likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 2:28 pm
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Telling your own company travel team of the incident is great, but it doesn't do anything because your company doesn't initiate damage claims. National does. Therefore, National needs to contact your company.

LDW for corporate contracts is a pretty well-established process with National. National will ask your company to confirm you were traveling for business. Once your company confirms, then that's it. No further action necessary.

Originally Posted by mtofell
As much as the whole picture/video thing sounds like a good idea I just can't see how you will be able to capture all parts of the car in good enough detail within a reasonable amount of time. Are you going to zoom in on each wheel in case they say you dinged one? Close-ups of the bumpers as they wrap under the vehicle? Like OP's situation - the windshield? Trying to photo an entire car without knowing what part will be needed later is just pissing into the wind. Plus, many of the drop off locations are in parking garages that are very dimly lit.

The bottom line is they walk around the car and give the nod..... you're done and out AFAIK. I just can't see them being able to come back after you like this and having it stick.
While I agree they can't really prove you damaged the car if they tell you well after dropoff .... I disagree that you can't get a quick video with sufficient detail. After all, you don't need high def images of the whole car. If you truly didn't damage the car, the mere fact that you have a video will likely be sufficient.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 3:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by TBD
Telling your own company travel team of the incident is great, but it doesn't do anything because your company doesn't initiate damage claims. National does. Therefore, National needs to contact your company.

LDW for corporate contracts is a pretty well-established process with National. National will ask your company to confirm you were traveling for business. Once your company confirms, then that's it. No further action necessary.

While I agree they can't really prove you damaged the car if they tell you well after dropoff .... I disagree that you can't get a quick video with sufficient detail. After all, you don't need high def images of the whole car. If you truly didn't damage the car, the mere fact that you have a video will likely be sufficient.
Of course not.

When OP gets the invoice, he should pass it on to his employer, presumably having already raised it with the employer.

But, the point is that he ought to let his employer handle this at the enterprise level rather than getting mucked around.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 1:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mtofell

It's better than nothing. Especially for obvious expensive things on higher-end cars (aluminium wheels, etc). I'm not really concerned about scratches on the back of a Dodge Grand Caravan.

OP - any update?
Old Apr 28, 2020, 5:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
It's better than nothing. Especially for obvious expensive things on higher-end cars (aluminium wheels, etc). I'm not really concerned about scratches on the back of a Dodge Grand Caravan.

OP - any update?
Over the weekend, I received the notification from National’s Damage Recovery Unit. I forwarded it on to my employer.
Auto Enthusiast, TBD and Often1 like this.
Old May 4, 2020, 2:08 pm

I returned a vehicle at a non-aisle location. We completed the walk around and the agent said “everything looks good”. I agreed and got my receipt.

Later that day, the station called the secondary number on my account and left a voicemail indicating a chip in the windshield and requested a call back. No attempt was made to contact me directly.

I called back and the same agent indicated an “unrepairable” 6” long crack in the drivers side of the windshield, directly in the line of sight. I told him that’s not possible as I drove the vehicle 900 miles over the previous few days and most certainly would have noticed such damage. I asked why it wasn’t noted by either of us during the walk around. He said he completed a secondary inspection on his own and noted the damage.

I requested photos of the damage for insurance purposes, as windshields on new cars can run almost $2000. A while later, I receive close-up photos where the crack was circled in chalk. The photos were taken well after the vehicle had been moved as evidenced by the reflections in the glass.

I didn’t take photos during the walk around. However, I can’t help but think they would have captured the windshield crack that neither of us saw.

Any tips on how to handle? I was on company business and booked using the company code.
aww3583 We’ve noted your comments and would like to have the opportunity to look into this for you. Please send us a detailed email to [email protected] include the exact rental location, your contact telephone number, your claims, rental agreement or reservation numbers and any further information regarding your experience with us.
We look forward to hear more from you soon.
Warm Regards,
Carol H.
Social Monitoring
National Car Rental
Old May 4, 2020, 2:09 pm

NationalCares

aww3583 We’ve noted your comments and would like to have the opportunity to look into this for you. Please send us a detailed email to [email protected] include the exact rental location, your contact telephone number, your claims, rental agreement or reservation numbers and any further information regarding your experience with us.
We look forward to hear more from you soon.
Warm Regards,
Carol H.
Social Monitoring
National Car Rental
Old May 4, 2020, 2:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Over the weekend, I received the notification from National’s Damage Recovery Unit. I forwarded it on to my employer.
Let your employer deal with the social monitoring people too. Best not to get wires crossed.
funnyfarm299 likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

Finally heard back from the DRU. They “reviewed the information pertaining to the claim” and made the decision to close it without any further impact on me or my insurance.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
This just happened to me for the second time already this year. Earlier this year I was at a location where you Park the car and then bring the keys inside. Company claimed there was a crack in the windshield that I didn’t see when I dropped it off. However, my credit card company covered most of the cost up to my deductible and I paid the rest out of pocket.

However, now on another rental National just sent me an email from the damage recovery unit about a forthcoming claim and I suspect it’s going to be another windshield claim. This location there was an agent that walked around the car inspected everything and give me a receipt.

I do not have pictures/video of when I dropped off the car. However this location there always is an agent inspecting the vehicle. Is there anything I can do to fight this or do I have to simply go through my credit card company again and hope I don’t have any more out of pocket?
Old Jan 10, 2022, 10:19 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mnredfox
This just happened to me for the second time already this year. Earlier this year I was at a location where you Park the car and then bring the keys inside. Company claimed there was a crack in the windshield that I didn’t see when I dropped it off. However, my credit card company covered most of the cost up to my deductible and I paid the rest out of pocket.

However, now on another rental National just sent me an email from the damage recovery unit about a forthcoming claim and I suspect it’s going to be another windshield claim. This location there was an agent that walked around the car inspected everything and give me a receipt.

I do not have pictures/video of when I dropped off the car. However this location there always is an agent inspecting the vehicle. Is there anything I can do to fight this or do I have to simply go through my credit card company again and hope I don’t have any more out of pocket?
I suspect the latter. But it is a good reminder to take pictures of the whole vehicle before driving off and after returning. It takes about two minutes and worth it every time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.