Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

They have nowhere to park their fleet. Do we see single-digit rates?

They have nowhere to park their fleet. Do we see single-digit rates?

Old Apr 20, 20, 9:13 am

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite
Saw this in the news today: Manheim noted that prices of Rental Vehicles (from Hertz, Avis, etc) sold at auction fell by 18.5% over the first 15 days of April compared with March, and that prices for these vehicles have declined by 17.1% yoy

Probably better for the rental companies to sit on their fleet rather than accumulating miles and having to dump them on a auction market that's freefalling. My local branch (just outside NYC) told me they were still relatively busy and their rates are the same as pre-virus.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Apr 20, 20, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by newfbc View Post
Alamo location @ YVR has $55/week cars... National is still crazy expensive.

Ron.
Any idea what cars they have on hand?

That's very tempting.
Old Apr 21, 20, 3:47 am

Originally Posted by xienon View Post
Saw this in the news today: Manheim noted that prices of Rental Vehicles (from Hertz, Avis, etc) sold at auction fell by 18.5% over the first 15 days of April compared with March, and that prices for these vehicles have declined by 17.1% yoy

Probably better for the rental companies to sit on their fleet rather than accumulating miles and having to dump them on a auction market that's freefalling. My local branch (just outside NYC) told me they were still relatively busy and their rates are the same as pre-virus.
NYC is an exception because of people trying to get out of town. Everywhere else it's way down - 90% nationally according to an employee I talked to.
Old Apr 26, 20, 7:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K
This is of course anecdotal, but I biked near LGA this weekend - Enterprise looked closed entirely and it appeared National had maybe 10-15 cars on site. Not sure where all the cars are but certainly not here!
Old May 14, 20, 4:46 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAEE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat, US CP (RIP)
Enterprise in PHL is parking their cars at the Wells Fargo Center. No cost to park, no wear & tear on the vehicles, so no need to offer low rental rates.

https://www.fox29.com/news/whats-the...s-fargo-center
Old May 19, 20, 11:55 am

Update for the STL fleet, I posted last month my neighborhood Enterprise location had taken over the abandoned Hardee's parking lot. I drove by the location last week and noticed no cars at Hardee's. Then over the weekend I drove by the Enterprise Holdings HQ in Clayton (STL suburb) and their parking garage was FULL of rental cars.
m907 likes this.
Old May 26, 20, 8:38 pm

I picked up a two week rental today at my neighborhood Enterprise location. Just under $18 per day after tax for a full size. They wanted to give me an Impala but when I asked for something else as I don't like Impalas the guy asked if I wanted a Cadillac XT5. I took the Cadillac.
Old May 26, 20, 10:06 pm

Attempting to reserve from National in Manhattan returns nothing but SUVs starting at $73/day.

Enterprise locations in city are consistently sold out by Wednesday until following Monday.

Don't really feel like trekking out to LGA for what may be an hit or miss experience, but at this point don't see many other options.
Old May 27, 20, 5:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by calgaryhhr View Post
I picked up a two week rental today at my neighborhood Enterprise location. Just under $18 per day after tax for a full size. They wanted to give me an Impala but when I asked for something else as I don't like Impalas the guy asked if I wanted a Cadillac XT5. I took the Cadillac.
is that in Calgary?
Old May 27, 20, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by SinglePapa2 View Post
is that in Calgary?
Yup, a Calgary Enterprise location.
Old May 27, 20, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

I'm seeing no relief in NYC. So I'm relocating one from FL 5/30 (last pick-up day) to return 6/12. Crazy that weekly drive-out rate is $99, but daily is $8 (4 weeks max). So 13 days is much cheaper than the even 2-weeks!
Old May 28, 20, 3:57 am

I'm seeing no relief in NYC. So I'm relocating one from FL 5/30 (last pick-up day) to return 6/12. Crazy that weekly drive-out rate is $99, but daily is $8 (4 weeks max). So 13 days is much cheaper than the even 2-weeks!
You seem to do a lot of these rentals. I'm curious what you do with them and why, if you want to share.
xienon likes this.
Old May 28, 20, 8:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by m907 View Post
You seem to do a lot of these rentals. I'm curious what you do with them and why, if you want to share.
For a New Yorker, to buy new car is more hassle/expenses than to enjoy new car for vacations a few times a year - at a single-digit kind of rate lol
xienon likes this.
Old May 28, 20, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by m907 View Post
You will never get rates remotely close to some of the dirt cheap things you can find outside of NYC area from National. Outside of airport locations (and sometimes not even then) National counters don't honor coupons and other discounts except EC reward free days.

So if you want something to keep around for a long term rental it is often much cheaper to head out to Florida or someplace well outside of NYC area, get a good deal, then drive the vehicle back to NYC. Yes, there is a hassle factor involved (getting down to say FLA, driving back up to NYC), but as noted when you're paying $10/day or some other dirt cheap rate it can all balance out.

You just aren't going to find anything from National or even Enterprise for less than $30 or $40 day (and those rates have been scarce lately), for say picking up on late Sunday through about Wednesday afternoon.

Right now National is offering nothing else but SUVs in Manhattan starting at about $73/day (weekday rate). Am sure weekend is much higher but didn't even bother looking. They've closed West 44th for the duration, and basically have moved much of fleet out of Manhattan, again except those SUVs and other large vehicles.

LGA or Kennedy aren't much better from what one is hearing in terms of vehicle choice, and certainly not rates. So if you want something for a month or so you certainly can do better at National locations elsewhere. More so if you take advantage of various "moving" specials where basically you get an dirt cheap rate for helping National reposition their fleet.
Old May 29, 20, 6:05 am

For a New Yorker, to buy new car is more hassle/expenses than to enjoy new car for vacations a few times a year - at a single-digit kind of rate lol
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
You will never get rates remotely close to some of the dirt cheap things you can find outside of NYC area from National. Outside of airport locations (and sometimes not even then) National counters don't honor coupons and other discounts except EC reward free days.

So if you want something to keep around for a long term rental it is often much cheaper to head out to Florida or someplace well outside of NYC area, get a good deal, then drive the vehicle back to NYC. Yes, there is a hassle factor involved (getting down to say FLA, driving back up to NYC), but as noted when you're paying $10/day or some other dirt cheap rate it can all balance out.

You just aren't going to find anything from National or even Enterprise for less than $30 or $40 day (and those rates have been scarce lately), for say picking up on late Sunday through about Wednesday afternoon.

Right now National is offering nothing else but SUVs in Manhattan starting at about $73/day (weekday rate). Am sure weekend is much higher but didn't even bother looking. They've closed West 44th for the duration, and basically have moved much of fleet out of Manhattan, again except those SUVs and other large vehicles.

LGA or Kennedy aren't much better from what one is hearing in terms of vehicle choice, and certainly not rates. So if you want something for a month or so you certainly can do better at National locations elsewhere. More so if you take advantage of various "moving" specials where basically you get an dirt cheap rate for helping National reposition their fleet.
So there are people from NYC who actually fly down to Florida, pick up a car, drive it back, and keep it for a few weeks because it's cheaper?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: