Corporate Discount - Personal Use

Old Mar 9, 20, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum Pro, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Corporate Discount - Personal Use

When using National, my employer gets a pretty good discount on car rentals. I was curious, are you allowed to use corporate discounts with National if the rental is for personal use? I'd be using the insurance through my personal credit card, not through National/my company if that made any difference. I'd love to hear people's experience with this and if they've ever had an issue renting a car from National this way.
Old Mar 9, 20, 3:00 pm

I use my company's contract ID regularly on National (it's the only way National makes sense for me as even the discount through Sapphire Reserve gives me rates that are not competitive). No problems with it - though the contract ID is expressly presented to employees for the purpose of personal rentals so I don't know if other companies negotiate contracts that are not intended for employees' personal use.
Old Mar 9, 20, 3:36 pm

Programs: AA Gold, National Executive Elite, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, SW A List
If it doesn’t have the Loss Damage Waiver (LDW) included then it’s usually pretty safe to use for personal use. Our company actually encourages us to use it for personal use as well since it will lead to more rentals for the corporate contract and possible better contract rates when they go to renegotiate the contract with National.
Old Mar 10, 20, 6:08 am
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
This is a question for the corporate travel department. Most companies make it clear whether personal use is covered by the corporate code, or if there are special instructions to use on personal rentals (i.e., use the code but decline the LDW).
ebuck, Auto Enthusiast and Often1 like this.
Old Mar 12, 20, 8:31 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Also some companies have 2 codes - a corporate code and a leisure code. Usually its the same rate but the Corporate code doesn't include insurance. Additionally I have seen some companies that allow you to use the corporate code but with the caveat that you won't get insurance if there is an accident.

There shouldn't be any issues using the Corporate code but you should check with your employer to see if it is allowed.
Often1 and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old Mar 12, 20, 8:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If your employer's contract permits personal use, then it is permitted. If not, then it is not. Some contracts provide two codes and others simply authorize the corporate code for personal use.

Don't use a code when it is not within scope as that may void not only insurance taken through the contract but third-party as well (as you have certified -- falsely -- that you are entitled to the rate. Not an issue until and unless someone gets hurt or the vehicle is damaged.
Auto Enthusiast and SoroSuub1 like this.
Old Mar 13, 20, 2:38 am

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Don't use a code when it is not within scope as that may void not only insurance taken through the contract but third-party as well (as you have certified -- falsely -- that you are entitled to the rate. Not an issue until and unless someone gets hurt or the vehicle is damaged.
People here - including myself - have said over and over that incorrectly using a code voids your insurance, but I have never seen proof that it actually does. I don't think any insurance company cares what you paid for a rental car.
Old Mar 13, 20, 6:14 am
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
Originally Posted by m907 View Post
People here - including myself - have said over and over that incorrectly using a code voids your insurance, but I have never seen proof that it actually does. I don't think any insurance company cares what you paid for a rental car.
I think you may be conflating concepts. National's own insurance most certainly requires that the renter taking advantage of the coverage had permission to use it. As many of the corporations factor in the cost of insurance to the rental rate, if someone was not eligible to take advantage of the coverage, National won't be extending the benefit to that person. Furthermore, not having permission to use a given code/pricing rate technically would be a violation of the rental agreement anyways - it's a misrepresentation by the renter that they are permitted to a certain price based on an agreed-upon contract, when in fact the renter is not an intended beneficiary of that rate.

If a renter was relying on his/her own personal insurance (or credit card) for coverage, it's a more interesting question. While it still may be a violation of the rental agreement (therefore potentially disqualifying coverage, as the rental was premised upon a fraudulent misrepresentation - whether innocent or not), there may be certain statutory obligations on primary insurers to cover certain losses. I know this varies from state to state. So it could be a weird situation where the medical losses would be covered but perhaps property damage wouldn't be. It's really a fact-specific inquiry.

The easiest way to not to have to hypothesize about these edge cases though is to use codes you're entitled to use and never have to worry about it again.
m907 and SoroSuub1 like this.
Old Mar 13, 20, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
What does your corporate travel department say?
Auto Enthusiast likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: