FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   National | Emerald Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/national-emerald-club-424/)
-   -   Emerald Club Contract Discount (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/national-emerald-club/2011379-emerald-club-contract-discount.html)

RastaPasta Mar 3, 2020 5:04 pm

Emerald Club Contract Discount

I was pricing out a week long rental yesterday to get an idea of cost and was getting a (better) rate by just using no contract ID and redeeming 2 free days. When I looked at the price breakdown it showed 10% discount for Emerald Club Member and then the credit for the 2 free days. Today, no such luck I can't get it to display that 10% discount no matter what. Was it just a system glitch? Also the same rental on the app is $5 more per week for a midsize versus Fullsize.

m907 Mar 5, 2020 4:34 am

I don't understand. If you're using free days, why do you need the EC discount?

RastaPasta Mar 5, 2020 12:01 pm

I only have 2 free days (either rental credits or 1-2-F) I can use on the week long rental, and it seems pricier than usual ($396) so I wouldn't mind an extra 10% off. I've been checking the site on and off and still not seeing the 10%, even tried a different airport where I regularly hace seen the discount in the past.

m907 Mar 6, 2020 9:50 am

Originally Posted by RastaPasta (Post 32146615)
I only have 2 free days (either rental credits or 1-2-F) I can use on the week long rental, and it seems pricier than usual ($396) so I wouldn't mind an extra 10% off. I've been checking the site on and off and still not seeing the 10%, even tried a different airport where I regularly hace seen the discount in the past.

This doesn't exactly answer your question, but National free days are less valuable on weekly rentals because the per-day rate is lower. I'd only use National free days on 1-3 day weekday rentals to get the most value, assuming of course you can use them in those scenarios.

RastaPasta Mar 6, 2020 12:41 pm

Yeah I see what you're saying but I likely won't have the opportunity to use it on a shorter rental. I want to use the 1-2-F days since they expire in a few months and you can only use them on an fullsize EA booking. I am actually planning to make two reservations, one with 1-2-F and another emerald reserve Luxury with the rental credits and then cancel it if there is something decent in the aisle. Last time I was there (DTW) I had emerald reserve luxury res (first time ever doing emerald reserve) and when I got there the lot was really empty but they had a 330i in executive. Wandered around looking for the luxury aisle to no avail, went to the attendant and asked where the luxury aisle is and he said there is none and I can just take something from executive. I asked if he had anything bigger than the 330i and after some waiting they ended up bringing me a Mercedes GLS 450 with 30k miles, but was still nice.

BugsyPal Mar 7, 2020 6:49 am

Originally Posted by RastaPasta (Post 32146615)

Are you booking via National EC website?

RastaPasta Mar 9, 2020 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by BugsyPal (Post 32153021)
Are you booking via National EC website?

If by EC website you mean logging in to my account and removing AMEX EE code then yes

RastaPasta Mar 9, 2020 12:31 pm

I think I figured it out - and it must be a Saturday night overkeep thing, because I just went to the site and in error I put my pickup date as 3/21 instead of 3/22 and return on 3/28 evening. I'm taking the 3/21 red-eye so actually arrive on 3/22 at 6am.

When I put in the wrong date I received the EC discount 10% on at least through Fullsize booking, but when I changed it to 3/22 it went away. So you must need a Saturday overnight to qualify for that discount on a week long rental.

Interestingly, if I change the return date to Tuesday, 3/24 the discount pops back up so who knows.

BugsyPal Mar 10, 2020 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by RastaPasta (Post 32160974)
I think I figured it out - and it must be a Saturday night overkeep thing, because I just went to the site and in error I put my pickup date as 3/21 instead of 3/22 and return on 3/28 evening. I'm taking the 3/21 red-eye so actually arrive on 3/22 at 6am.

When I put in the wrong date I received the EC discount 10% on at least through Fullsize booking, but when I changed it to 3/22 it went away. So you must need a Saturday overnight to qualify for that discount on a week long rental.

Interestingly, if I change the return date to Tuesday, 3/24 the discount pops back up so who knows.

Glad you got yourself sorted. But don't understand why you need a reservation including Saturday just to get 10% EC discount. Have always gotten ECD for any reservation make, weekday, weekend, holidays, etc....

But then again haven't made many reservations since National has changed things up earlier this year.

Tried to make a reservation out of LGA using weekend discount coupon. It would work and gave a great rate, long as I returned vehicle to LGA. If reservation was modified to one way (drop off in Manhattan) rate more than doubled. for same days/class of car, but oddly weekend coupon discount still applied. Go figure.